This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread age cut off

Has someone changed the "Default Thread Age Cut Off" for the kubuntuforums to "last month only".

That is very confusing, as I don't think it counts thread activity, only thread starting date.

I know I can change the setting for myself, but I think it's a bad default.

Also, have we started to remove threads now? That's a big no-no.

Comment

None that I'm aware of. No idea if we've changed any settings, but I am out of town and afk, so I can't easily check it right now.

What has been removed?

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

The 'default' setting in (our) vBulletin for Default Thread Age Cut Off has never been changed. The template that controls this is modifyoptions, and this is what (our) vBulletin says about it:
        modifyoptions:

This template has not been customized in this style or any of its parent styles.

Double-click the template name or click the 'Customize' button to add a customized version of this template to the current style and its child sets.

Last edited February 2 2012 at 11:27 by vBulletin Solutions
        I haven't located within the template where I can change the default, but I'm not sure I would want to if I do. It's a User Setting, so one just needs to change it to their personal preference.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          The 'default' setting in (our) vBulletin for Default Thread Age Cut Off has never been changed. The template that controls this is modifyoptions, and this is what (our) vBulletin says about it:

I haven't located within the template where I can change the default, but I'm not sure I would want to if I do. It's a User Setting, so one just needs to change it to their personal preference.
          I'm fairly certain that previously I was able to view all (634) threads in Geek News (https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forumd...p?25-Geek-News), for example, instead of just the two that were started in the last month (without logging in and changing my cut-off setting). Note that the default also affects people who don't have an account, so the default should be to show all, and let user's limit visibility (if they choose to). Otherwise non-account holders can't really browse effectively (something they'll probably want to do when they are pondering whether to create an account).
          Last edited by kubicle; Oct 28, 2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            What has been removed?
            Looks likely that it's a permission issue rather than removal, one example I found was the Riddell vs. UCC megathread (https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...important-news), not visible with non-admin account (probably still visible to admin accounts, though).

That's the one I was looking for, but there may be others.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              Looks likely that it's a permission issue rather than removal, one example I found was the Riddell vs. UCC megathread (https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...important-news), not visible with non-admin account (probably still visible to admin accounts, though).

That's the one I was looking for, but there may be others.
              yes something has changed ,,,,,,,I could read this thread (at one time and do not know just how long ago that was ) but now I can not ,,,,,,I got a

trying to follow the link ?

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OH, THAT thread. I moved it to an area in KFN only accessible by Administrators.

Comment

OH, THAT thread. I moved it to an area in KFN only accessible by Administrators.
                  well ,,,,are we censoring information now .

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Following Kubicle's link to GeekNews I show only 12 entires even though I have it set to the past 100 days. I know there should be more than 12 entries for that past 100 days.

NOTE: After there if I change the filter it then shows me the posts as stated but defaults to only 12 even though my filter specifies initially 100 days. Hope that helps.

NOTE2: My bad evidently. Changed it to the past year and it seems there are only 12 in the last 100 days.
                    Last edited by MoonRise; Oct 28, 2015, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                      well ,,,,are we censoring information now .

VINNY
                      Censoring, no. However, sometimes the content of posts are questionable, so moved out of the general population. This is a pervue of being an Administrator of this Forum. This keeps the post intact for our review and concideration as to action, if any, that may be taken.

Comment

Censoring, no. However, sometimes the content of posts are questionable, so moved out of the general population. This is a pervue of being an Administrator of this Forum. This keeps the post intact for our review and concideration as to action, if any, that may be taken.
                        FIRST let me say ,,,,,,,,, I am not complaining ,,,and the Admin's hear do a fine job

BUT ,,,,, I must point out that every emperor,king,lord,pontiff,head of state ,,,,,,in history has used similar reasoning to sequester/burn/destroy Questionable content/ideas from the populace.

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Yes, a slippery slope that.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                            FIRST let me say ,,,,,,,,, <snip> ,,,BUT ,,,,,
                            You might want to watch those stylistic elements there. My automatic, unconscious, smoke detector was triggered, my eyes glazed over, and ignored the post on the first read.

On a second look, after
                            I must point out that every emperor,king,lord,pontiff,head of state ,,,,,,in history has used similar reasoning to sequester/burn/destroy Questionable content/ideas from the populace.
                            I was thinking some sarcasm extending the list of potentates to liberal elites, meaning of course that it's the right that does that (check out the actual meaning of "liberal"). But then, no, it's Vinny! The "hear" should have warned me.
                            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                              But then, no, it's Vinny!

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                              X