This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A must read very important news

Some of you probably know that my opinion of Canonical, Shuttleworth or the Ubuntu "Community" Council wasn't exactly sky high before, but after the last debacle...I'm going to follow Scott's lead and move completely to Debian.

I might still drop by the kubuntuforums as I will probably miss the fine folks in here, and the general atmosphere of these forums.

But I won't be testing kubuntu anymore (so I might not be able to offer as much help as I used to)...or do anything to promote ubuntu (Shuttleworth can keep his sandbox...it's urine content just keeps increasing).

Here are the blog posts for background information:

https://skitterman.wordpress.com/201...i-may-be-done/
    https://skitterman.wordpress.com/201...buntu-council/
    Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 29, 2015, 01:02 AM.

More:
    - http://jriddell.org/2015/05/26/reaff...buntu-council/
    - http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/05/26/%23kubuntu-devel.html#t15:02

Try Me !

Comment

You are ALWAYS welcome here. Please don't be a stranger.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I read through the whole thing by way of OMGUbuntu! on my phone, each and every e-mail, ................looonnnggg.

But, if one steps back and looks at the WHOLE thing...........and thinks of it in terms of what happens on a playground, of which I have spent my life observing! lol

The "kid" that is "the manipulator"............has a bunch of kids that "follow" him or her.

The group of kids grows and grows, and because it becomes so large, some kids start spending more time with "one of the group" as opposed to following the "manipulator" and the group has a chance of being split.

The "manipulator" always knows the personalities of the kids in the group. Most people think of "leaders and followers"....

Well there are other personality types, and one of them is the "drama queen" which can be female OR male, or there is always the "little storm cloud" that "has a problem" AKA the sky is falling down.

The manipulator slyly gets the "kid that always has a problem" to .........."have a problem" with the kid who is becoming popular.

The kid that has a problem then "gets into it" in some way with the newly popular kid.

This can be very obvious...........goes and picks a fight...........or............"plays the victim" (the kid is REALLY FEELING LIKE A VICTIM) because if the kid did not actually feel like a victim then the complaints would not seem sincere.

Thus the manipulator uses a third person to "defame" the newly popular kid and pull the group back around her or him.

I've seen it dozens of times, and I've seen it in the workplace.

This now being "oversimplified" into "bullying" because it is really HARD to show the linkages...........

now.........yes, most times bullying is one kid hitting another..........but in gang related stuff, it is harder to tease out things.

So..........

We have

A) Shuttleworth who obviously looks at Kubuntu as a distro that is pulling people away from the "Ubuntu/Unity/distro for all platforms", and would just as soon not be losing people.
        B) A person who has ALLEGEDLY been maligned.
        C) A third group, the council, which is in at least some small way "beholden" to Shuttleworth.......which acts on the allegation in a way which will obviously disrupt Kubuntu.

D) A lot of people who are "distro hoppers" go back to Ubuntu...

This all hinges on "the allegation".

If the person really feels threatened by Riddle and "likes and feels comfortable with" "Ubuntu / Shuttleworth"...........then the person should step up into the light and make the allegation openly, and show proof of the threatening situation.

That will cause Shuttleworth to AT LEAST "look favourably" on the person making the allegation and that person then has "enhanced security".

Orrrrr......... it could be much simpler....

The person making the allegation is doing it knowingly to make Shuttleworth "look favourably" on him or her, IF.........the person perceives that the move will damage Kubuntu and thereby bring more people into Ubuntu, which, again, Shuttleworth would like.

justwoodsmoke'sopinion
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

A must read, very important news

http://www.itworld.com/article/29268...as-leader.html

A somewhat misleading title, and does not go into the real deal here:
          Jonathan has been accused of breaking the Ubuntu CoC, and has been asked to step down from the Kubuntu Council.

<ScottK> TLR the CC believe Riddell has acted in such a bad way towards them that they have "requested" he step down from the Kubuntu Council and any leadership role in Kubuntu.
          <ScottK> Mark Shuttleworth (SABFL) has endorsed that as "not a request".
          <valorie> all of this in secret, without consulting with the Council
          <valorie> at all, ever
          * the "CC" is the Ubuntu Community Council

Read Scott Kitterman's blog with much of the back and forth here.

My opinionated opinion matches what Scott Kitterman and others have on this. I am betting that most, if not all Kubuntu folks will likely walk away. I know I will. I don't want to, and I really hope it doesn't come to this. But I will.
          Last edited by claydoh; May 26, 2015, 03:41 PM.

Comment

IRC logs from today's Kubuntu meeting
            http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/05/26...el.html#t15:02

Comment

Earlier thread, merge?
              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...The-Last-Straw

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                Yup.

Comment

It is also of some note that a number of Ubuntu/Canonical folks were present at the Kubuntu meeting, and seemed to express "wtf" with the situation, especially as there is not any publicly visible instances of Jonathan acting in the way described.

I also kind of read SABDFL's response as "I'm sticking by whatever the CC decides", but that group is approx half Canonical people and half community. I'll bet there are examples of times when the CC did NOT remove someone for actual visible, public actions that go against the CoC.

Comment

Some of you probably know that my opinion of Canonical, Shuttleworth or the Ubuntu "Community" Council wasn't exactly sky high before, but after the last debacle...I'm going to follow Scott's lead and move completely to Debian.
                    I guess I've missed out on all the fun, as I seem to pop in around here kind of sporadically. I'll take a look at the blog posts you linked to...

I might still drop by the kubuntuforums as I will probably miss the fine folks in here, and the general atmosphere of these forums.
                    Well, I, for one, will certainly miss you if you're not around.
                    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      I also kind of read SABDFL's response as "I'm sticking by whatever the CC decides", but that group is approx half Canonical people and half community. I'll bet there are examples of times when the CC did NOT remove someone for actual visible, public actions that go against the CoC.
                      That's just Shuttleworth washing his hands (in his typical fashion), he's also a self appointed member...and it would be naive to think he's not steering the decisions to what he wants (CC's answers are Canonical answers, have always been, it's a community council in name only).

Comment

(CC's answers are Canonical answers, have always been, it's a community council in name only).
                        CC = Canonical Council

Comment

Hey, one can have a small glimmer of the sliver of a ray of something not negative, can't one? Right??

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                            Hey, one can have a small glimmer of the sliver of a ray of something not negative, can't one? Right??
                            Of course

I just don't see the possibility as "not negative" (for me, could be for the persons involved, though)...I don't see myself staying with kubuntu even if they reverse the decision and offer a public apology to Riddell.

The core of the Ubuntu tree has been rotten for a good while (maybe even from the start), and this is just the latest example of it. Most of the branches are still looking good, and the fruit is tasty, but the core is rotten. And since you can't replace the core, it's better to just pluck the fruit and plant again.

EDIT:
                            @Snow and @DYK:
                            Thanks for the thoughts, that is just the spirit I like here
                            Last edited by kubicle; May 27, 2015, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Kubicle,

there was discussion about "going Debian" before. and I thought it was a good idea then.

woodjustathoughtsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X