This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, thanks!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
      I think I've decided what to do: buy the System76 Gazelle 17.3".

I'll choose its Ubuntu option, and then install Kubuntu. I asked them [again] if they could install Kubuntu...and the answer was still no. Oh well.

The Gazelle has an optional, external, USB DVD-RW drive, but I don't see much need for it. I'm sure I could buy one later if need be.
      Great choice! (not ?)

IF memory serves me correctly my son bought the same model 5 years ago. He has kept Kubuntu on it every since without problems. He loves it!

When I took out my CDROM and replaced it with a $10 HDCaddy that I could plug a 3rd drive into, I also bought a DVD/CDROM USB drive for $14. That was about 5 years ago so the price has probably gone to to $25 or so.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 24, 2020, 11:26 AM. Reason: changed ? to !
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It's out for delivery.

I did not add the external DVD-RW drive.

It comes with Ubuntu 20.04LTS. I'm planning on installing KDE via "sudo apt install kde-full" at a command line. I expect it to go smoothly... right?
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Keep these in mind, also.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
            Keep these in mind, also.
            Will do! Thanks.

Comment

I'm typing this on my sparkling new System76 Gazelle! It's still running Ubuntu, since I literally JUST powered it on. I'm so lost...I need to get Kubuntu up and configured on it, as I'm used to!
              Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Oct 23, 2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop

Please Read Me

Comment

I marked this 'solved' a long time ago, because my solution was buying a new laptop! (The problem in this thread was NOT the only reason for buying a new laptop.) But I've just figured out what this thread's problem was, so I thought I'd post an update.

Although its symptoms were different, I had an inkling that maybe the problem was the same as detailed in this post. There, I was continually receiving a 'name resolution' problem when attempting to ping any site. So, on a whim, last night I changed the old laptop's [the one in this thread] network settings as in the linked post, i.e., I changed its DNS servers from "4.2.2.1,4.2.2.2" to "1.1.1.1,1.1.1.2" and rebooted. NO MORE PROBLEM! I had been accessing its hard drive over my network by hardwired connection, because of the problem in this OP. It's been unplugged since last night, and a ping/sleep test running continuously since then has had no hiccups.

I'm still planning on donating this particular laptop, so none of this really matters long-term, but it's nice knowing what caused the problem and that there's an easy solution to fix it. Maybe this will help someone else with a similar issue.

For clarity, the reason I edited its network settings in the first place was a part of assigning it a static IP address. If you're not doing that, you should have no reason to use the solution posted here!

Comment

Working...
                  X