This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    If it was that hot, that could be your issue. Maybe a vacuum cleaner can suck out the vents? I had a laptop that continually had a running fan, I pulled it apart and was shocked at how much crap there was in there - and I don't have any cats!
    I have four--plus 1-1/2 dogs! [One lives here, the other is here nearly every day.]

I had no sooner gone through the restarting process a little while ago, went to access it with my phone, and it was already 'lost' again. I've shut it down for now while I contemplate what to do.

I'm sure there's some crud in it, although the one time I opened it, at 5 years old, I was surprised at how well sealed it was, and how little crud had gotten in. No one eats or drinks near it, so there are no crumbs or anything like that, just cat/dog hair and dander floating around.

If I were my old self, I'd have that sucker opened up and tackling its guts in a heartbeat. But I'm not. I can't imagine sending it in for service...*I* have always done my own service! Shoot...I don't know what to do...
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by Fred47 View Post
      "using my phone to do file maintenance on the laptop" Are you using KDE Connect? If so I've had random problems with it along with what you suggest. I reboot the phone and I'm back on. Although I haven't had this problem since using Kubuntu in the last few weeks, which I attribute to the newer kernel.
      I do use KDE Connect, but not for file maintenance. For that, I use my favorite file manager, MiXplorer Silver.

And, just to clarify, it's the laptop that's losing its connections, not the other way around. In other words, all other computers and devices on the network lose their ability to communicate with it, but not each other. And the laptop loses its ability to connect to anything, despite still showing that it's connected to my Wi-Fi network.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

So, it's back again to wifi communication. Something is failing/has failed with respect to the wifi adapter on the laptop (regardless of what the hardware actually is). It could be disabled and perhaps replaced by something else.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Alright... *sigh* I believe I'm throwing in the towel.

As noted, at 6+ years old, this laptop is more than double the age I normally use a primary laptop. I've really loved it--by far, it's my favorite laptop ever. But I think its days are done.

I'm now contemplating two options from System76: the Meerkat mini and the 17.3" Gazelle laptop. I can bring them in at ≈$700 and ≈$1,500, respectively. Of course, I'd have to add a keyboard and monitor to the Meerkat; I already have the Trackman trackball I'd use with it.

I'm looking forward in that I don't want something so cheap or small that it's useless, and has to be replaced, if I get better and can resume doing things I'd normally do. That would mean heavy use of the GIMP, along with SeaMonkey/Konsole/Dolphin always running, being able to read my Nikons' SD cards, using digiKam and various other basic programs. I don't need super-duper graphics or anything like that; I won't be playing games or streaming on it.

With the Meerkat, getting its 'tall' configuration, and only a 500GB drive, I'd be able to add another drive later, if need be.

If I get the Gazelle, it would be with a 1TB drive, as in my current[ly dying] Kudu Pro.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'd really never given serious thought to the Meerkat before, but I like its price! And it would work for me as far as the place I'd put it. I could even get a monitor bigger than the 17.3" of the laptop, if/when I wanted to. My main concern right now is money! But I don't want to act in haste, either.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
            Well, I have something new to report. Yesterday, I sat down at the laptop for the first time in 2+ weeks. Ouch! My hands got hot! ...I felt it, sliding over the front area where the touchpad is, on both sides of it, and it was very hot. Its lid is normally closed, but I stuck my trackball in there to prop it open when I left. [I can't leave it fully open: cats!]
            That's not good. What is under the touchpad is getting hot. If the touch pad is too hot to touch what's underneath is even hotter. You may have already cooked something. More than likely the problem is lack of circulation caused by animal hairs being drawn into vents and collecting in various places inside. The most common sources of heat in a laptop are the CPU, the GPU and the storage devices. Do you have any temperature widgets that can show you what the CPU, GPU and HD (SSD?) temps are? I am using one called "Thermal Monitor" to show all three.

I felt it, sliding over the front area where the touchpad is, on both sides of it, and it was very hot. Its lid is normally closed, but I stuck my trackball in there to prop it open when I left. [I can't leave it fully open: cats!]

I don't know if the two issues are related, but being scorching hot is definitely not its normal behavior.
            Isn't your failing laptop a System76? If it is, wouldn't sending it in for repairs be more affordable?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              That's not good. What is under the touchpad is getting hot. If the touch pad is too hot to touch what's underneath is even hotter. You may have already cooked something. More than likely the problem is lack of circulation caused by animal hairs being drawn into vents and collecting in various places inside. The most common sources of heat in a laptop are the CPU, the GPU and the storage devices. Do you have any temperature widgets that can show you what the CPU, GPU and HD (SSD?) temps are? I am using one called "Thermal Monitor" to show all three.
              I'm not currently running one, but may; the one you're using sounds good.

Isn't your failing laptop a System76? If it is, wouldn't sending it in for repairs be more affordable?
              Yes, probably, but... Its age will still be 6-1/2. With shipping/insurance costs plus parts and labor...well, yeah, it would be less expensive, but still 6-1/2. I don't think I want to pour money into it at this point. I replaced its keyboard last year, and now with its current issue, I don't know, I just think it's time to move on. I'm not keen on spending money right now--my new sprinkler system set me back a tidy sum!--but I don't want [possible] ongoing problems on a now-old laptop, either. If it sounds like I don't know what I want, there's a reason for it: I don't! I wasn't anticipating replacing it now, and really just can't make up my mind...

Comment

You never indicated which model of System76 was malfunctioning. On the following website:
                https://tech-docs.system76.com/model...1/repairs.html
                are service instructions for fixing a LOT of problems for various S76 models.
                It starts on the Adder WS but there is a listing in the left panel showing links to most of their models. If the left panel isn't showing you can click on the hamburger menu in the upper left corner of that page.

The "Thermal Monitor" will tell you IF your CPU or GPU is over heating. I doubt it is the SSD or you'd be losing data. I don't think that the wifi chip would get that hot and still function after it cooled down. Heat has a tendency to drive plasticizers out of resisters and electrolytes out of capacitors.

If you problem is the CPU or GPU then I doubt that you can replace either of those components unless you have de-soldering tools. If it is the CPU and over heating continues even after you've blown out all the dust bunnies then you'll probably have to take off the heat sink and replace the thermal paste between the CPU and the heat sink.

My Acer V3-771G is eight years old and the CPU temp is slowing creeping up. Initially it was around 35-38C at idle but now is idles at 43-46C. But even while running intense games the highest my CPU has gotten is 95C. The CPU is rated to 105C. Minecraft puts it about 80-85C. So I think my CPU thermal paste is drying out. IF my hands didn't shake so much I'd replace the thermal paste myself, but now I'll probably take it to a local computer repaire shop to replace it if it becomes necessary. The thermal paste is about $15-20 for good stuff and it will take an experienced techie about 15 minutes to take it apart, 15 minutes to repair it, and 15 minutes to put it back together. Or, about an hour total. I would estimate the total charge to be in the $175-200 range, which would be worth it for me.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  You never indicated which model of System76 was malfunctioning.
                  From my OP: "System76 discontinued my model, the Kudu Professional..."

Saturday's mail brought my property tax bill. Due November 1st. Ugh.

I don't feel up to tackling the laptop myself, and silly pride keeps me from sending it in for service. I think I'm now going to just sit on it for awhile, until I can make up my mind. Its two primary uses at this point are as a file server and for e-mail. I can live with it randomly losing its connectivity; I'll just use it when I need to and not worry about losing access otherwise.

I've never used anything but a disc to install Linux. Neither the Meerkat nor the Gazelle comes with a DVR drive; an external USB one is available for the Gazelle. Is installing from a thumb drive any different, fundamentally, than from disc? Although all System76 products come pre-installed with Linux, it's either Ubuntu or PopOS; they won't install Kubuntu [I've asked]. Are there any potential problems I might encounter getting Kubuntu on either the Meerkat or Gazelle?

Comment

Code:
                    Is installing from a thumb drive any different, fundamentally, than from disc?
                    Nope, not in any way, other than being a lot quicker. More so if the stick as USB3.

In creating the stick, I recommend using dd on the command line, or for the easiest tool I recommend using Balena Etcher.

Other tools are either a bit clunky (mkusb) or do their own custom boot stuff (unetbootin) or are imo unreliable (K/Ubuntu's Startup Disk Creator, though I have not used this in a while)

Comment

System 76 is not much different from any other laptop. It has a motherboard, a CPU, disk(s), video, and network. Video and networking are about the only areas that might give problems. But a little prep should help make sure you have/know drivers needed for Kubuntu.
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

>>>>> Are there any potential problems I might encounter getting Kubuntu on either the Meerkat or Gazelle?
                        I received my Gazelle a little over a year ago and had no problems installing Kubuntu 18.04 and have used it daily since.
                        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

I think I've decided what to do: buy the System76 Gazelle 17.3".

I'll choose its Ubuntu option, and then install Kubuntu. I asked them [again] if they could install Kubuntu...and the answer was still no. Oh well.

The Gazelle has an optional, external, USB DVD-RW drive, but I don't see much need for it. I'm sure I could buy one later if need be.

Comment

It's on its way!

I usually keep the previous laptop and continue using it as a secondary laptop, but given its hardware issues, I may donate it to a place that repairs/refurbishes Linux computers and gives them to needy students. Aside from formatting its hard drive, are there other best practices to make sure my data cannot be recovered? There's nothing earth-shaking on it, like embarrassing!, but I'd rather not have stuff like credit card numbers accessible, you know?

Comment

their is 1 last ditch thing you can try ,,,,,,, use an air compressor and a blow needle to blow back into the air output (1st) and into the fan intake (2) back and forth a few times .

if you do not have an air compressor take the laptop to your favored service station and ask the mechanic to do it ,,,or let you , caned compressed air just dose not have the heavy air flow a 120 psi blow needle dose to dislodge a hair ball dust ya maybe ,,but probably not a hair ball .

I have done this a few times when I was to lazy to disassemble and clean a hard to open case on a laptop that was running hot

good luck

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

It's on its way!

I usually keep the previous laptop and continue using it as a secondary laptop, but given its hardware issues, I may donate it to a place that repairs/refurbishes Linux computers and gives them to needy students. Aside from formatting its hard drive, are there other best practices to make sure my data cannot be recovered? There's nothing earth-shaking on it, like embarrassing!, but I'd rather not have stuff like credit card numbers accessible, you know?
                                Dban is useful for this
                                https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-eras...g-dban-2619148

or just dd from a live usb
                                https://how-to.fandom.com/wiki/How_t...clean_in_Linux

Comment

Working...
                                X