Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Platforms you see needing an update in Discover are Snap/Flatpak related infrastructure that have zero to do with the normal deb packaging system. They are updates to the core Gnome and KDE bits used by them, part of something you installed in Discover using a Snap, such as Libreoffice.

These of course will NOT show up in Muon or apt. So Discover is correct in showing you these, ans apt is correct in not displaying them.
    You are right! Clicking on each of those listings displays a 'More Information' tab which shows the Flatpak origins of those files. I know that the new Snap, Flatpak and AppImage distributions have had their share of bugs as the code has gotten ironed out. It appeared to me that the Snap/Flatpak distributions had now been successfully integrated into Discover so that they would be automatically updated by their particular resource. But..., maybe not.

I think I could resolved this issue by uninstalling the Flatpak app and the two library apps.

-=Ken=-
    -=Ken=-
    "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
    DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
      I'm sorry, Snohog. In my grumping I have unfortunately expanded the scope of the problem. Here is my Terminal session describing the problem with XSANE:
      Code:
      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54FF54][B]buddy@buddypc[/B][/COLOR]:[COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR]$ sudo apt install xsane
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree        
      Reading state information... Done
      Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
      Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
      Investigating (0) xsane:amd64 < none -> 0.999-5ubuntu2 @un puN Ib >
      Broken xsane:amd64 Depends on libsane1:amd64 < none | 1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2 @un uH > (>= 1.0.24)
      Considering libsane1:amd64 0 as a solution to xsane:amd64 10000
      Re-Instated acl:amd64
      Reinst Failed early because of libsane-common:amd64
      Done
      Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
      requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
      distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
      or been moved out of Incoming.
      The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      xsane : Depends: libsane1 (>= 1.0.24) but it is not going to be installed
      E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
      [/FONT]
      There seems to be issue in the current Linux world regarding libsane vs libsane1.

-=Ken=-

Edit: My scanner is part of the AIO Canon PIXMA MX-922.
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...n-Network-WIFI
      The neon packagers should know about this or at least be made aware of it.

That said, you might be able to resolve this issue by obtaining/installing the required libsane1 package directly. You can do so at https://pkgs.org/download/libsane1 and clicking to expand Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver). Two .deb files are available: libsane1_1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2_amd64.deb and libsane1_1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2_i386.deb (you would want the _amd64.deb package).

I'd wait before doing so to see what others here with more experience have to say about doing this.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with the libsane package here;
        Code:
        [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54FF54][B]stuart@office[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454FF][B]/media/stuart/Elements[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ instal libsane-common[/COLOR]
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree        
        Reading state information... Done
        [B]libsane-common is already the newest version (1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2).[/B]
        libsane-common set to manually installed.
        Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
        Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
        Done
        0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.[/FONT]
        No problem installing xsane here either. The problem is elsewhere. AFAIK, flatpak or snap wouldn't cause problems with external packages as the whole point of those packages is they're self sufficient - at least that's what I think.

I suspect that the upgrade procedure caused the problem. First, I would go through every file in /etc/apt and make sure no 16.04 repos are left enabled. I would also look at any added PPAs to make sure they support "bionic". Then I would scan the installed packages to see what is left over from 16.04 and purge those.

There's no good way I know of to tell when a package was initially installed as DEB doesn't really track that. You can go through your dpkg.log files but that may be too much to wade through.

I hate to be the arm chair quarterback - but as far as I recall, upgrading to KDEneon wasn't recommended. I never distro upgrades anyway as I have too many customization's and it's too easy for something to break the upgrade. Just not worth the potential headaches.

Regardless, I did find something out that's cool. Install dctrl-tools and then run:

grep-status -n -sPackage -FStatus config-files

and you get a list of left over configs. This also works:

dpkg-query -f '${Package} ${Status}\n' -W | grep config-files$ | cut -d" " -f1

Finally, aptitude will list AND remove them if desired. To list them;

aptitude search ~c

and to purge them;

sudo aptitude purge ~c

I did notice that in the case of kernel configs, the /lib/<kernel version> folders are not deleted, but the configs are cleared.

Please Read Me

Comment

I searched for "Broken xsane:amd64 Depends on libsane1:amd64 < none | 1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2 @un uH > (>= 1.0.24)"

and found

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ml#post5906333
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
            I searched for "Broken xsane:amd64 Depends on libsane1:amd64 < none | 1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2 @un uH > (>= 1.0.24)"

and found

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ml#post5906333
            I must be getting old and have forgotten the "whittling" I do on this system. I tried ~$ libsane-common and my system didn't know anything about it. Next, ~$ sudo apt-get install xsane and it was successful! Huh!?

Now I think I will just uninstall LibreOffice and the two Flatpak libraries and see if that clears things up. Thank you all!

-=Ken=-
            -=Ken=-

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              I suspect that the upgrade procedure caused the problem.
              YES!
              First, I would go through every file in /etc/apt and make sure no 16.04 repos are left enabled. I would also look at any added PPAs to make sure they support "bionic". Then I would scan the installed packages to see what is left over from 16.04 and purge those.
              That must be out of my realm. I can look through all that stuff but identifying whether a repo is left enabled escapes me.

I hate to be the arm chair quarterback - but as far as I recall, upgrading to KDEneon wasn't recommended. I never distro upgrades anyway as I have too many customization's and it's too easy for something to break the upgrade. Just not worth the potential headaches.
              Now you tell me! I waited until Neon quit updating 16.04 to see if there were any showstoppers and the chatter I heard was the upgrades went smoothly.

Regardless, I did find something out that's cool. Install dctrl-tools and then run:

grep-status -n -sPackage -FStatus config-files

and you get a list of left over configs. This also works:

dpkg-query -f '${Package} ${Status}\n' -W | grep config-files$ | cut -d" " -f1

Finally, aptitude will list AND remove them if desired. To list them;

aptitude search ~c

and to purge them;

sudo aptitude purge ~c

I did notice that in the case of kernel configs, the /lib/<kernel version> folders are not deleted, but the configs are cleared.
              Since I am totally unfamiliar with dctrl-tools I elected to go with the second option. I was able to list what looked like ~200 items and some of them looked like they ought to be there. I didn't want to do the purge step.

BTW, what is "~c"? How can you get a console list using that? Things have changed so much in 25 years.

-=Ken=-
              -=Ken=-

Comment

From Debian "Aptitude regex formulas"

match removed but not purged packages: ~c

Please Read Me

Comment

OK, I searched for "remove flatpak gnome application platform" and found some Flatpak commands:

flatpak uninstall --unused . . . That got rid of a couple of items

flatpak update . . . Updated 9 items!

Then, when I ran Discover it was free of uninstallable entries!

Whew! Well, I learned a few more things in this process. Thank you guys for helping me out.

-=Ken=-
                  -=Ken=-

Comment

Dag nabit! Can't find the [Solved] link... again.

Edit: apparently someone marked it for me. Thank you.

-=Ken=-
                    Last edited by kenj70; Dec 24, 2018, 04:15 PM.
                    -=Ken=-

Comment

You click on Thread Tools at the top and click on Mark this thread as solved...) (I did it for you)
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                      X