This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] KDE Neon is not updating properly

I am getting pretty annoyed with this system. Probably, the most salient information you will want to know is that I did an in-place upgrade from Neon 16.04 to 18.04. At the time I was pleasantly surprised that most things upgraded without drama but, over time, I have seen some things which have grown from annoyances to aggravations. This brings this introduction to the main issue: the upgrade/updating process.

I realize that Discover is an on-going annoyance that, for the most part, has worked OK for me. But now my system tray gadget says 10 packages to update. I select view updates which brings up Discover. Discover shows 6 updates - but the top line which normally displays 'Check for updates' and 'Update all' are greyed-out.

So, going to the Terminal I do the current recommended 'pkcon refresh' and 'pkcon update' which gets me nowhere. Then, after searching this forum I found a recommendation to do 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' which does update some of the files. Then, after rebooting the system tray gadget reports 6 packages and Discovery reports 3.

I have limped along, for weeks now, ignoring the annoyances. Can anyone help me?

-=Ken=-
    Last edited by kenj70; Dec 20, 2018, 03:48 PM.
    -=Ken=-
    "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
    DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Hi
    I feel bad that you are having the problem.
    I run Neon Dev stable on my television system and am typing thereupon now.
    I have noticed...sometimes...that Discover doesn't seem to get the job done although not, seemingly, as distressful as you.
    I have never really has a lot of luck with the commands you mention, I tried them a few times and thought hey...this is maybe the holy grail and that I could do one and done on a regular basis, but no.

I did the same in place upgrade as you since there really is nothing on the machine of import and it seemed to work well except that i got the "black screen of death" where I could see the cursor and then nothing,

Surprisingly, I just sat here on the couch and pushed the power button for a hard reset drinking coffee and doing it over and over and then...voila! everything worked. Do not know why except that the hard drive was kinda full and when I finally got "at" the login screen I went through all of the options and did the free up memory thing and it basically said that I was out of memory and it removed a huge amount of "Linux headers"...

So, maybe do a restart and choose the repair option and do a memory cleanup... In the far, far recesses of my memory I seem to recall that doing an upgrade can leave ...stuff..."open" as it were and that stuff hogs memory and just won't allow the system to go to full boot, maybe especially the video drivers. and the initial startup, I don't thing GRUB though.

But back to Discover, I sometimes do it, but it always seems to have another update to do... so I almost always just use Synaptic.

Hope this helps a little.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

When I was using Neon I removed Discover completely from my system. I just regularly updated in the terminal with the command
      Code:
      sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
      Now in Kubuntu I use Discover only for showing me that there are updates available.
      Then I update in the terminal with the same commands.

Comment

Granting that Discover is not what it should be, your alternatives are:
        • Install and use Muon or Synaptic
        • Update from the command line

I prefer the command line because I can see what's happening or about to happen. Here's what I've done to make it easier;

Added a sudoers file that allows me to run "sudo apt" without my password.
        Created bash aliases for the primary apt functions so I need only enter a single word to act.

That's all it took. Now I just hit F12 to pop open Yakuake (a drop-down konsole window) and do what is needed.

"update" updates the repositories and lists any pending ugrades.
        "upgrade" runs a full upgrade of all packages.
        "remove" followed by a package name uninstalls a package.
        "instal" followed by a package name installs a package (one "l" in install is intended as "install" is another command).
        "aremove" runs autoremove.

and there are others. Here's the full list of aliases I have added:

Code:
        alias aptlist='sudo apt list'
        alias aptsearch='sudo apt search'
        alias aptshow='sudo apt show'
        alias instal='sudo apt install'
        alias remove='sudo apt remove'
        alias purge='sudo apt-get purge'
        alias update='sudo apt update; sudo apt list --upgradable'
        alias upgrade='sudo apt full-upgrade'
        alias aremove='sudo apt-get autoremove'
        alias dconfig='sudo dpkg --configure -s'
        Someday when I have time <rolls eyes> maybe this could be made into a simple GUI tool.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies. I did not mention that I use both Muon and Synaptic. In addition to 'sudo apt-get full-upgrade' I find that Muon is especially good at giving me updates. However, I am still left in this untenable condition. When I run 'sudo apt-get full-upgrade' it says:
          Code:
          [FONT=monospace]Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree        
          Reading state information... Done
          Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
          Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
          Done
          Calculating upgrade... Done
          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
          [/FONT]
          So, this command line approach tells me nothing about the problem with Discover which says I have 'Gnome Application Platform' and 'KDE Application Platform' and LibreOffice 6.1.4.2 updates available!

I don't know enough how to troubleshoot the package system - this seems broken to me - and Neon just shrugs. Phooey!

-=Ken=-
          -=Ken=-

Comment

In Muon Package Manager, click on the By Status tab and then click on Upgradeable, then Broken, then Residual Configuration, and then Installed (auto-removable). Of particular interest would be any package(s) listed in Broken and Residual Configuration. What do you see when clicking on each one?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Snowhog. I confess I didn't know about the options on the left. I had never explored them.

Upgradeable=nothing
              Broken=nothing
              Residual Configuration=has a whole bunch, too numerous to count
              Installed (auto-removable)=nothing

This is odd, for the previously mentioned reasons, and since the upgrade to 18.04 my XSANE scanner software has been in an unresolvable condition. These results are because I know just a little bit about resolving problems on the command line and there is nothing to 'autoremove' because I already did that. I just can't figure out why I have unresolvable problems that don't show up on the command line. BTW, what does 'Residual Configuration' mean?

-=Ken=-
              Last edited by kenj70; Dec 21, 2018, 03:30 PM.
              -=Ken=-

Comment

Residual Configuration are files created in your user home directory by packages previously installed but later uninstalled. This is normal. Those listed items (Residual Configuration) can all be safely removed (they are just taking up space on your drive).

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
                  This is odd, for the previously mentioned reasons, and since the upgrade to 18.04 my XSANE scanner software has been in an unresolvable condition. These results are because I know just a little bit about resolving problems on the command line and there is nothing to 'autoremove' because I already did that. I just can't figure out why I have unresolvable problems that don't show up on the command line.
                  If you have inxi installed, from a konsole type: inxi -r then copy/paste the results here. If you don't have inxi installed, do so (sudo apt install inxi). Exit the konsole then launch it again and run the inxi -r command.

Comment

Code:
                    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54FF54][B]buddy@buddypc[/B][/COLOR]:[COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR]$ inxi -r
                    [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Repos:    [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454FF][B]Active apt sources in file:[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#B2B2B2] /etc/apt/sources.list[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic main restricted[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-updates main restricted[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic universe[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-updates universe[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic multiverse[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-updates multiverse[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security main restricted[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security universe[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security multiverse[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Active apt sources in file:[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#B2B2B2] /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jonathonf-ubuntu-ffmpeg-4-bionic.list[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonathonf/ffmpeg-4/ubuntu bionic main[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Active apt sources in file:[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#B2B2B2] /etc/apt/sources.list.d/neon.list[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb http://archive.neon.kde.org/user bionic main[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb-src http://archive.neon.kde.org/user bionic main[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Active apt sources in file:[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#B2B2B2] /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntuhandbook1-ubuntu-dvdstyler-xenial.list[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#B2B2B2] deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntuhandbook1/dvdstyler/ubuntu bionic main # disabled on upgrade to bionic[/COLOR]

[/FONT]
                    -=Ken=-

Comment

I don't see any 'third-party' repository that might cause a conflict with your scanner. What make/model of scanner do you have? How old is it?

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
                        Thanks guys for the replies. I did not mention that I use both Muon and Synaptic. In addition to 'sudo apt-get full-upgrade' I find that Muon is especially good at giving me updates. However, I am still left in this untenable condition. When I run 'sudo apt-get full-upgrade' it says:
                        Code:
                        [FONT=monospace]Reading package lists... Done
                        Building dependency tree        
                        Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
                        Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
                        Done
                        Calculating upgrade... Done
                        0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                        [/FONT]
                        So, this command line approach tells me nothing about the problem with Discover which says I have 'Gnome Application Platform' and 'KDE Application Platform' and LibreOffice 6.1.4.2 updates available!

I don't know enough how to troubleshoot the package system - this seems broken to me - and Neon just shrugs. Phooey!

-=Ken=-
                        The Platforms you see needing an update in Discover are Snap/Flatpak related infrastructure that have zero to do with the normal deb packaging system. They are updates to the core Gnome and KDE bits used by them, part of something you installed in Discover using a Snap, such as Libreoffice.

These of course will NOT show up in Muon or apt. So Discover is correct in showing you these, ans apt is correct in not displaying them.
                        Discover will also show updates to themes and the like installed using it, possibly even from those installed from the Get New Themes parts of System Settings. These will not show up in apt, either.

Again, we are looking too deep for problems A little bit of extra info that that the OP soon provided shows the answer.

Of course, it is not very obvious where a package comes from, unless you look at the bottom of a listing::

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181221_171539.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	644076

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181221_171631.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	644077

I can see by this that to get the latest LO, I shoulda used Discover

Comment

Good to know information.

It is 'differences' like this that end up frustrating many. And because of this (but not 'why' for me) I don't use Discover; ever. I don't even use Muon Package Manager for package maintenance (installation/upgrading/removal); I strictly use the CLI (sudo apt).

Comment

I dunno, I didn't screenshot it, but looking at my latest updates in the updater had a Plasma theme listed in a different section from the 'normal' apt updates, I think, so perhaps snaps are also in their own subsection there? I don't have any snaps or the like installed at the moment only just now installed a snap on my Neon system, so I'll keep an eye out for any.

Theme updates are cool, I always notice the number of them that do get updated, and only ever see when I browse themes in System Settings.

I do wish that Discover would add some sort of animated visual cue that it is updating, or a progress bar, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              I don't see any 'third-party' repository that might cause a conflict with your scanner. What make/model of scanner do you have? How old is it?
                              I'm sorry, Snohog. In my grumping I have unfortunately expanded the scope of the problem. Here is my Terminal session describing the problem with XSANE:
                              Code:
                              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54FF54][B]buddy@buddypc[/B][/COLOR]:[COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR]$ sudo apt install xsane
                              Reading package lists... Done
                              Building dependency tree        
                              Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
                              Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
                              Investigating (0) xsane:amd64 < none -> 0.999-5ubuntu2 @un puN Ib >
                              Broken xsane:amd64 Depends on libsane1:amd64 < none | 1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2 @un uH > (>= 1.0.24)
                              Considering libsane1:amd64 0 as a solution to xsane:amd64 10000
                              Re-Instated acl:amd64
                              Reinst Failed early because of libsane-common:amd64
                              Done
                              Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                              requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                              distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                              or been moved out of Incoming.
                              The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                              xsane : Depends: libsane1 (>= 1.0.24) but it is not going to be installed
                              E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
                              [/FONT]
                              There seems to be issue in the current Linux world regarding libsane vs libsane1.

-=Ken=-

Edit: My scanner is part of the AIO Canon PIXMA MX-922.
                              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...n-Network-WIFI
                              Last edited by kenj70; Dec 21, 2018, 10:03 PM.
                              -=Ken=-

Comment

Working...
                              X