This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Dolphin not handling group permission the same after last update

Something changed with the latest updates and I can no longer access my shared folders/files when using Dolphin.

Brief description:
    NFSv4 server shared folders set with these and permissions and ownership: drwxrwsr-x nobody:shared
    Mounted on clients with this fstab entry: server:/ /shared nfs nofail,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd-device-timeout=10,_netdev,bg,hard,timeo=28,retrans=5,noat ime,nodiratime 0 0
    User is member of "shared" group.

Prior to before the update to Plasma 6, Dolphin would allow me to add or delete files and folders on the NFS shared. This is no longer the case.

When using the console, I can still access as I have in the past so the problem seems to be just with Dolphin. I did not change any mount options or anything else except for the 400+ package upgrades released during Feb. (I have not updated since Jan 25th until yesterday).

Here's what the "Properties > Permissions" of a folder looks like now:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240306_101717.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.5 KB ID:	677199

It appears it is not reading the permissions at all.

EDIT: It appears to be just folder permissions are not being read. Files still show normally.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Mar 06, 2024, 09:22 AM.

Please Read Me

Problems when browsing NFS shares with Dolphin on KDE Discuss may be relevant.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Unfortunately that discussion is about browsing unmounted shares. The OP even states the problem doesn't occur if the NFS share is mounted via fstab as mine are. I've only searched briefly and I am in the middle of something at the moment, but will make a bug report later today.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have not seen any issues on my end, with NFS shares on my NAS, my mount options are similar. Here is one of mine:

MyNAStyNAS.local:/Backups /mnt/Backups nfs nofail,x-systemd.automount,_netdev,bg,hard,timeo
        =28,retrans=5,intr,noatime,nodiratime 0 0

Openmediavault here has NFS v2, 3, and multiple V4's enabled. The user account is part of the users group, which in my case has access to shares, which looks to be the only permissions it has, or I gave it (can't remember)

Comment

I just checked SAMBA using the same server and folders and Dolphin has the same issue.

Please Read Me

Comment

I booted to a clean Neon plasma 6 install and this problem still exists. Booting into the last snapshot prior to the upgrade and it does not occur. Weird.

I have yet to encounter anyone else with the issue. Since it's BOTH SAMBA and NFS it must be a networking thing? Very odd though. Maybe I can set up a different machine and test it for similar problems.

Please Read Me

Comment

What nfs related packages are (still) installed?

Comment

• oshunluvr
                oshunluvr commented
                Editing a comment
                Nothing changed re. NFS and it works fine. Only Dolphin has the issue and it also has the same issue when using SAMBA.

OK, here's some new info.

First - how I am set up: The shared folders on the server have the owner:group of nobody:shared AKA 65534:560 and permissions drwxrwsr_x. The intent of this is so I and my users can access the files/folders IF I put them int he "shared" group. All my systems on the network have this group, it is 560 numerically, and all the same across the network. The "s" in the group permissions is called a "stickybit". It forces the group to 560 regardless of who adds a new file or folder to the server. This ensures all can access them freely. Finally, there's also a "private" share where everyone has a personal folder to store stuff without sharing it. Both exports on the server are the same and the private storage works as expected. This has functioned as I have desired for more than 15 years.

I did some testing and created some test folders and played with ownership, and I have discovered this - this is odd:

Using Dolphin right-click menu, if I;
              • right-click ON a folder owned by nobody:shared these menu options are grayed out: "Create New", "Duplicate Here", and "Compress".
              • right-click ON a folder owned by stuart:shared the menu options are all available.
              • right-click IN a folder owned by stuart:shared​ the same 3 menu options are grayed out.​​
              There was one exception: For some reason ONE of the test folders I made works as expected. Further testing revealed that Dolphin was not reloading the ownership even though I refreshed (F5) the screen. Closing Dolphin and re-opening it allowed me have all menu options IF my user account owned the folder.

So the issue seems to be the upgraded version is not handling the "nobody" user the same way as before. At least I have something to search on...
              Last edited by oshunluvr; Mar 09, 2024, 08:23 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I tested my belief that NOBODY user account is the issue by creating a folder in my /home, chown-ing it to NOBODY:SHARED (same as my server shares) and Dolphin exhibits the same behavior. It seems clear that the network has nothing to do with this problem.

EDIT: The actual problem isn't NOBODY ownership. Dolphin is not honoring the group permissions if you are not the owner of the folder.
                Last edited by oshunluvr; Mar 09, 2024, 09:12 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Someone beat me to it:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=482899

Please Read Me

Comment

This would explain my post: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...232#post677232

While I can work around this, I just loaded mc (Midnight Commander). It isn't affected. I can copy/paste in both directions.
                    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 09, 2024, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I'm just using the console for now. Oddly, in some instances you can split screen drag-n-drop from one folder into a folder you are a group member of but not owner. You will see a "NO" cursor icon but it will still work.

Please Read Me

Comment

This has been fixed in Frameworks 6.1 which will be released April 13th

Please Read Me

Comment

This was fixed last night with the upgrade to Frameworks 6.1 as promised.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                          X