KDE updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE updates

Well, today's kernel/nvidia combo update went without a hitch. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't crash this time! 🤣🤣🤣

KDE Frameworks 5.109 released 17 August and KDE Gear 23.08 released 24 August seem to be MIA though! 🤣🤣🤣

I know, I'm just impatient for new goodies and updates!
    Constant change is here to stay!

They are coming, shouldn't be long. Most if not all of these are in a staging repo. I imagine we could see it all in a day or so?

Of course, the kernel and driver updates are built and released directly by Ubuntu.

Comment

510 updates this morning! Let's hope all goes well!
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

it should. It did here.
        You will see a couple of updates after you update
        If doing so from the command line, you may see some for a couple of appstream packages that should be marked as held back in the initial set of updates.
        If using discover, you won't even notice those held back packages.

Comment

I ran into a problem with the updates.

After installing the updates booting got me as far as the GRUB menu.
          Selecting the default does not work.
          I selected boot Neon GNU/Linux and the menu stayed and nothing happened.
          Similarly selecting Advanced options failed to present a list (I think I may have agreed to discard all previous versions of the kernel).

I tried other options using a C and an E but they did not work.

What do you suggest?
          Neon 18.04.1 User on desktop and on Asus Transformer 3 Pro laptop

Comment

Here's an update.

I believe the lowest cost path may be reinstalling a fresh copy of KDE Neon.
            If I had confidence in the process and my ability, I would try to fix the boot issue.

I may be able to create another partition and bypass my current one that uses 1/2 of the TB SSD with only 1/4 of that partition occupied.

If anyone recommends otherwise feel free to comment as I would prefer not to lose what I had done in the last weeks.

I wish I had done a Clonezilla image of my system before risking the update..

I will revisit prior notes on setting up a backup system. I will see about setting that up along with a fresh Neon install which should be downloaded by now.

From that prior issue I am still working with a local shop on data recovery, and the technician is still working on it. I turned over the old SSD to the technician.
            (He upgraded the CPU successfully in my tight computer case.)

I will do some home housecleaning before getting back to work on my system. That will take at least an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by pwrcul View Post
              I ran into a problem with the updates.
              Depending on how long you go between updates, the recent one was just KDE gear and Frameworks stuff -- all application-level, and not system level stuff, let alone anything involving Grub, so the updates themselves may not be the cause of this problem.
              Do make sure you check your drive for errors, to be safe.

Selecting the default does not work.
              What is the default supposed to be here?

I selected boot Neon GNU/Linux and the menu stayed and nothing happened.
              Similarly selecting Advanced options failed to present a list (I think I may have agreed to discard all previous versions of the kernel).
              Sounds right, if you did. What third party tool did you use to tell it to remove the backup kernels?

if you have multiple distros installed, are you booting with neon's grub, or a different distro's grub?
              If so, you might try selecting a different boot device via your system's bios boot menu, or change the selection in your bios.

Comment

Thanks, claydoh, for the advice.

I update frequently. Perhaps I was late on updating this time? I don't feel like I was late.
                The update included a big one and a smaller one.

I should check my SSD for errors. How can I do that? Do I have to get it to boot first?

By the default I mean Neon, the previous OS.

Removal was by OKing a long list of items to be removed that accompanied the update..
                I vaguely recall seeing a set of prior Linux kernel versions as part of them. But I could be wrong.
                I am not sure what tool was used but all I did was OK the removal..

I only have Neon installed at this time.
                I am pretty sure it is Neon's grub. The installation that now won't boot is recent, as in late July.

I will hold off on my previous plans a little while. I have some chores to take care of.

Comment

The update included a big one and a smaller one.
                  Yes, that is correct.

I should check my SSD for errors. How can I do that? Do I have to get it to boot first?
                  You can do this from recovery mode --if you could get there from grub, that is.
                  You can use a live USB to do it, using KDE Partition Manager, or gparted

Removal was by OKing a long list of items to be removed that accompanied the update..
                  I vaguely recall seeing a set of prior Linux kernel versions as part of them. But I could be wrong.
                  I am not sure what tool was used but all I did was OK the removal..
                  Ok, that is fine. *buntu systems keep three kernels by default, so you only removed the excess packages related to the fourth.

I only have Neon installed at this time.
                  So that eliminates that idea

You might look at boot-repair, though I don't know for sure if it works on neon's grub setup or not.
                  You can install this from a live *buntu/neon USB stick, and run it from there.

Comment

I chose boot-repair and have a USB stick with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS as described in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
                    I ran the commands for yannubuntu/boot-repair but it wanted me to set the computer's hardware to UEFI.
                    I will try that when I get back from the bank and other errands.

Comment

I continued to work with Ubuntu's take on boot-repair.

Here is my report of boot-info from boot-repair:
                      https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/jxNFYWRQDs/

It declined to recommend any repairs.
                      I could not see what the issue is.

I am not sure how to include the the report contents as boxed plain text.
                      I tried the box with the quote symbol and several other options in the button bar here but they did not work.

Simple posting removes all formatting.
                      What is the secret for putting the report into a useful form here?

I welcome suggestions.

Comment

I forgot to mention that the boot-repair program offered to delete my existing code for booting, with no mention of a replacement.
                        I responded "no."

I now recall years ago writing numbered entry points in a sequence of booting options or doing add-ons inserted into such a list.
                        I would expect to find their immediate source in /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /etc/default/grub​
                        I think such items lead to what is placed on /dev/nvme0n1p1​

I will do some grocery shopping and return.

I welcome corrections and suggestions including references.

Comment

Here are boot-info sections that look most relevant to me from the report of boot-info from boot-repair:
                          https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/jxNFYWRQDs/​​

=> Grub2 (v2.00) is installed in the MBR of /dev/nvme0n1​

Operating System: KDE neon 5.27
                          Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /etc/default/grub
                          /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img​

==================== nvme0n1p1/etc/default/grub (filtered) =====================

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
                          GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
                          GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
                          GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
                          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
                          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

================= nvme0n1p1: Location of files loaded by Grub ==================

GiB - GB File Fragment(s)
                          369.993530273 = 397.277528064 boot/grub/grub.cfg 1
                          351.958030701 = 377.912057856 boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img 1
                          49.925853729 = 53.607477248 boot/vmlinuz 2
                          49.925853729 = 53.607477248 boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-83-generic 2
                          351.954097748 = 377.907834880 boot/vmlinuz-5.19.0-46-generic 2
                          148.232570648 = 159.163510784 boot/vmlinuz-6.2.0-32-generic 2
                          148.232570648 = 159.163510784 boot/vmlinuz.old 2
                          224.037193298 = 240.558104576 boot/initrd.img 6
                          224.037193298 = 240.558104576 boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-83-generic 6
                          430.111572266 = 461.828784128 boot/initrd.img-5.19.0-46-generic 2
                          240.095653534 = 257.800744960 boot/initrd.img-6.2.0-32-generic 2

Suggested repair: __________________________________________________ ____________

The default repair of the Boot-Repair utility would not act on the boot.​

Comment

This is the first occasion I have had of running boot-repair.​
                            I ran boot-repair several times and made a requested change to disable compatibility mode and then to disable secure boot.
                            Boot-repair said "Error: NVram is locked (Neon not found in efibootmgr)" and said it could not fix the problem.

I am not sure what to do about that, but it seems to me that a fix is possible as in
                            unlock NVram
                            and put a link to Neon in efibootmgr.
                            I am not sure how to do that or if that is the actual solution.

Here is the boot-info report:
                            https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/xd2kvQ5cdt/

The program asked me to forward the report to the creators of boot-repair and I did

I did a search on "Locked-NVram detected".
                            This article suggests what might be tried. https://bobcares.com/blog/ubuntu-boo...vram-detected/
                            When I return from errands I will search more.

I think because my grub setup was created in compatibility mode without working with efibootmgr that in order to use boot-repair
                            I will need to have its grub replacement include something with efibootmgr. I hope it is not too late to do that and I am not sure yet
                            how I can do that.

Comment

During the night I read a bunch of things including the ASUS TUF Gaming motherboard manual.
                              There is close to a consensus that unlocking the NVram is the same as clearing the CMOS RTC RAM.
                              The motherboard manual explains how to do that.

I found many guides to reinstalling grub and several that address using the efibootmgr, such as
                              https://www.linuxbabe.com/command-li...otmgr-examples

I have a rough idea of what to try. But I realize I am a novice at this....

I may see if the boot-repair program might help. Or other tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X