Can't connect to Google in Online Accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect to Google in Online Accounts

As the title says. I choose to set up a Google account and enter my mail address but it just sits there, for ever!

I've installed Kio-Gdrive and the full KDETelepathy components. This has usually worked in the past.

Strangely though, I had no problem getting Kalendar to get my Google Calendar details!

This has always been a bit buggy and an update has usually fixed it. Unless I haven't installed a required component!
    Constant change is here to stay!

I haven't had to set this up in a while, but Google often enough changes stuff, and this breaks. Then the KDE devs have to figure out how to fix it, until it gets changed again.

On test Kubuntu 22.04 and 23.04 VMs, it is doing the same for me. I don't think you are missing anything. it has to be on Google's end.

Comment

I'm having the same issue. Any workarounds?

Comment

it seems to be an issue everywhere, don't see any workarounds yet.

Comment

I can connect to my Google account, but I'm having trouble with Chrome not show most of any webpage, including KFN. I uninstalled Chrome and will try reinstalling later. Firefox is working fine.

SORRY, off topic, admins please feel free to delete this post.
          Last edited by notabug; Jul 27, 2023, 10:28 AM.
          Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by notabug View Post
            I can connect to my Google account, but I'm having trouble with Chrome not show most of any webpage, including KFN. I uninstalled Chrome and will try reinstalling later. Firefox is working fine.

SORRY, off topic, admins please feel free to delete this post.
            See: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...reaks-browsers

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              it seems to be an issue everywhere, don't see any workarounds yet.
              Thanks.

Comment

This is with Neon only, right?
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  This is with Neon only, right?
                  No, I am seeing reports of this on a variety of distros.
                  I see it on both of the different ones I happen to have on hand at the moment Neon and Fedora. Haven't looked at my older Kubuntu 22.04 setup yet. It is in pieces atm.
                  Google change authentication without warning or documentation sometimes. I recall this sort of thing happening a couple of times over the years

Comment

claydoh, I see. I'm on 22.04, no problems with Google at all, but I don't know where I'm at in their changes cycling! I have two accounts, I can log in easily and do all the time everywhere -- YouTube, Bard, ChatGPT, etc.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

This is for accessing Google Drive using Dolphin, not website login.

Setting this up is broken currently, but for example the Gdrive access I set up some time ago (years?) on my PC works fine. We cannot set up dolphin access on a new system.

Comment

Got it! Thanks!

Comment

The issue seems to be with "signond". Folks at the KDE forums seem to feel that its a "Ubuntu" problem and not KDE. I do not agree. Kubuntu uses the latest and known to work "signond", which Gnome uses as well with no issues, so I think its a KDE problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadYoung View Post
                            Folks at the KDE forums seem to feel that its a "Ubuntu" problem and not KDE
                            No, not at all. The source for many distro packages seems to be coming from an old mirror hosted on Ubuntu's Launchpad That is the only connection to Ubuntu here.

Also, the actual issue is the signon-ui part, not signond itself, as I read it.

Originally posted by ShadYoung View Post
                            signond", which Gnome uses as well with no issues,
                            No, Ubuntu/Gnome isn't using any signon-related packages at all. Gnome uses its own gnome-online-accounts tool.

This doesn't change the fact that Plasma is using an old, or less active infrastructure for this, and probably should be changed. But that involves people deciding to find the time and effort to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

No, Ubuntu/Gnome isn't using any signon-related packages at all. Gnome uses its own gnome-online-accounts tool.
                              Sorry, my mistake. Given it was happening in Fedora and Ubuntu proper as well, I jumped to conclusions. I think the bug thread got waylaid by the -UI trail. It was a bit confusing to read, but the only reproducible flaw I saw was in signond. The bug report mentioned that a particular older version being used by Ubuntu specifically was what caused the bug, but I checked that fact and the version that was known to work in other distros like Arch is also the one installed in the latest kubu/neon. Possibly compiled differently, some options missing?

Comment

Working...
                              X