This mornings update breaks browsers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This mornings update breaks browsers?

I regularly use Vivaldi and Brave - Vivaldi for personal and Brave for work.

This mornings upgrade of 357 packages included one for Brave and one for Falkon, but not for Vivaldi. Here's what Vivaldi looked like after the upgrade:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230711_082013.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	672254

Brave looked the same. I haven't had time to suss out which package caused the problem, but thank goodness for BTRFS rollbacks.​

Please Read Me

I just installed this browser, and it looks normal, except for lacking any visible window control buttons (?) This was *after* updating.

None of its dependencies look to be part of the Plasma upgrade or any others from this morning, but who knows?

Depends: ca-certificates, fonts-liberation, libasound2 (>= 1.0.17), libatk-bridge2.0-0 (>= 2.5.3), libatk1.0-0 (>= 2.2.0), libatspi2.0-0 (>= 2.9.90), libc6 (>= 2.17), libcairo2 (>= 1.6.0), libcups2 (>= 1.6.0), libcurl3-gnutls | libcurl3-nss | libcurl4 | libcurl3, libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.9.14), libdrm2 (>= 2.4.75), libexpat1 (>= 2.0.1), libgbm1 (>= 17.1.0~rc2), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.39.4), libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.9.10) | libgtk-4-1, libnspr4 (>= 2:4.9-2~), libnss3 (>= 2:3.31), libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libu2f-udev, libvulkan1, libx11-6 (>= 2:1.4.99.1), libxcb1 (>= 1.9.2), libxcomposite1 (>= 1:0.4.4-1), libxdamage1 (>= 1:1.1), libxext6, libxfixes3, libxkbcommon0 (>= 0.5.0), libxrandr2, wget, xdg-utils (>= 1.0.2)

Comment

Seemed really odd it affects both the Vivaldi and Brave browsers although where was no update for Vivaldi.

I just now updated everything except the two browsers with no issues...

Please Read Me

Comment

I see some reports of issues with the recent Brave update, and similar issues in the past. Disabling the gpu rasterization might be worth trying till they fix it?

https://community.brave.com/t/brave-...ad-text/495914

Does not explain vivaldi at all, though they are both Chromium bases, correct?

buttttt

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/8873...owser-is-blank

Comment

I took a snapshot and upgraded the two browsers and all seems ok. Must have been something wonky in the first upgrade.

I did notice one difference; some packages were held early this morning but this afternoon all were installed

Please Read Me

Comment

I don't know if this is the same issue, but I had the same issue with Google Chrome, after the updates of today. Images did show, but absolutely no text.
            After disabling hardware acceleration - a tip I found on askubuntu.com - everything worked again like it should.
            (Pretty hard to disable something if you don't see text...)
            I'm no Linux expert at all, but I guess it has something to do with some library that changed. Brave, Vivaldi and Chrome all use the same rendering engine, so maybe it has to do with something they all three use.

Comment

I wonder if there was an update to the updates (or more packages added to it)?
              I didn't see any issues with Chrome this morning at all. I had two profiles running running when I updated, and for about an hour before I got around to logging out of Plasma for the new Frameworks stuff to be used.

My next question would be if these anomalies happened after a logout/reboot, or opening Chrome just after the update, without reloading Plasma?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                My next question would be if these anomalies happened after a logout/reboot, or opening Chrome just after the update, without reloading Plasma?
                In my case, both
                Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 17, 2023, 08:53 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I didn't use Chrome today before the two huge updates (together about 200, maybe even 357, packages). I went away, so I switched the computer off. After switching it on again Chrome had the problem.
                  So I don't know if the problem existed after the first or second update, or after logging out of Plasma.
                  I have used Chrome for years now (only for testing), and never had problems with it.
                  I use Vivaldi too for testing, and Vivaldi is running okay, with hardware acceleration on.
                  Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Jul 11, 2023, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I have two PCs with AMD graphics and both have chrome issues starting in the last two days. Last night they were the same. In chrome I get a black window, except for the address bar. Moving the mouse around shows the rest of the window briefly. Loading screens like movie sites shows half the icon for the movie. Google docs don't render properly. All is good in firefox.
                    I installed all updates last night, but no joy. I will try disabling hardware acceleration when I get home on Monday.
                    Anyone else still having issues?

Comment

Found this thread
                      https://support.google.com/chrome/th...ty-22-04?hl=en
                      This one fixed my system
                      Navigate to .config/google-chrome/Default/GPUCache directory

Remove any items found there.

Reboot.

Comment

BTW, on this topic: After completing the update as I describe above, Vivaldi and Brave work, but Google Maps does not. Just a black screen. Using Falkon, I can use Google maps so it seems to be something related to the Chrome engine. At this point, I'm just going to wait it out and see if it "fixes" itself.

FYI, there is no .config/google-chrome/Default/GPUCache directory in my user folder.

Please Read Me

Comment

Literally a minute after posting the above I gave myself a forehead smack and looked in .config/vivaldi/Default/ and found the GPUCache folder. I closed Vivaldi and renamed the GPUCache folder to GPUCache-old for safe keeping (just in case) and made a new blank GPUCache folder. Opening Vivaldi revealed Google Maps is again working.

Strangely enough, Google Maps on Brave started working again all by itself.

Thanks Jook!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            FYI, there is no .config/google-chrome/Default/GPUCache directory in my user folder.
                            I do, on the two system I checked. I had this issue, or a very similar one, here with Chrome a few nights back on my Kinoite laptop. Deleting the folder fixed that straight away, and I could go back to working
                            There was another Chrome update this morning, after one on Tuesday. Not just for the browser, but for Chrome OS as well. Unusually close together, particularly Chrome OS. I will assume a major bug was revealed. Their changelogs are not normie-friendly.
                            Oddly, the Fedora packages still seem to be on version 114.
                            Last edited by claydoh; Jul 21, 2023, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• oshunluvr
                              oshunluvr commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My above mentioned "forehead slap" was because I don't have Chrome installed, so obviously no folders for it. Just Vivaldi. Brave, and Falkon on this system.

Had the same issue today. Since I don't use Vivaldi and Chrome daily, I don't know if the cause was an update from Neon, Vivaldi end/of Chrome.
                            In Chrome deleting /.config/google-chrome/Default/GPUCache worked.
                            In Vivaldi nothing worked. Finally I removed it, including all settings, cache, etc by hand. (Since I only use it for testing, that's no problem: not ten thousand bookmarks etc.) Reinstalled: it works again.

Comment

Working...
                            X