This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    Yes, I see the same behavior here. What I get is an upgrade for the linux-headers package, but not for the image or additional packages. I have to manually install each new kernel version.

Once 18.04 is released, KDEneon will move to the 18.04 base so the behavior should change, so rather than complain or figuring it out, I'm just waiting.
    Good advice. Is the manual install done by this command or is there something more precise?

sudo apt install linux-generic-hwe-16.04

Thanks.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Well, being lazy, for example I do this:

sudo apt install 4.13.0-32

This then offers all available files with 4.13.0-32 (substitute your desired kernel version number) for installation. I answer "n" when asked and don't install anything. Then I cut and paste the file list into kate and delete the items I don't want, the -lowlatency- and -signed- packages, when I install from remaining files the list.

If I wasn't lazy, I would write a script file to create and edit the list automatically, but I'm hanging my hat on this not being needed once 18.04 roles out.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Yes, I see the same behavior here. What I get is an upgrade for the linux-headers package, but not for the image or additional packages. I have to manually install each new kernel version.

Once 18.04 is released, KDEneon will move to the 18.04 base so the behavior should change, so rather than complain or figuring it out, I'm just waiting.
        the deal is,,,,,,,-dist-upgrad is looking for the latest kernel in the base xenial lists ,,,the linux-generic-hwe-16.04 package is a meta package ,,,,,,,,

Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show linux-generic-hwe-16.04
        Package: linux-generic-hwe-16.04
        Version: 4.13.0.32.52
        Priority: optional
        Section: kernel
        Source: [COLOR=#ff0000]linux-meta-hwe[/COLOR]
        Origin: Ubuntu
        Maintainer: Ubuntu Kernel Team <kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com>
        Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
        Installed-Size: 10.2 kB
        Depends: linux-image-generic-hwe-16.04 (= 4.13.0.32.52), linux-headers-generic-hwe-16.04 (= 4.13.0.32.52)
        Supported: 5y
        Download-Size: 1,802 B
        APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
        Description: Complete Generic Linux kernel and headers
        This package will always depend on the latest complete generic Linux kernel
        and headers.

vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show linux-generic-hwe-16.04-edge
        Package: linux-generic-hwe-16.04-edge
        Version: 4.13.0.32.34
        Priority: optional
        Section: kernel
        Source: [COLOR=#ff0000]linux-meta-hwe-edge[/COLOR]
        Origin: Ubuntu
        Maintainer: Ubuntu Kernel Team <kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com>
        Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
        Installed-Size: 10.2 kB
        Depends: linux-image-generic-hwe-16.04-edge (= 4.13.0.32.34), linux-headers-generic-hwe-16.04-edge (= 4.13.0.32.34)
        Supported: 5y
        Download-Size: 1,816 B
        APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
        Description: Complete Generic Linux kernel and headers
        This package will always depend on the latest complete generic Linux kernel
        and headers.
        installing either of these packages keeps you up to the current releases kernel ,,,,instead of those for just xenial

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
        X