This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can't boot with kernel 4.13

Seem to be having issues booting with the new 4.13 kernel that just came in this week. Any attempt to boot results in a failure of the graphical environment and I'm left dropping to a command line. Trying to start sddm manually fails. Rebooting in 4.10 solves the issue.

My specs:
    Code:
    [FONT=courier new]
    [B]mr_raider@HP-EliteBook-725-G3[/B]:[B]~[/B]$ inxi -Fx
    [B]System:   Host:[/B] HP-EliteBook-725-G3 [B]Kernel:[/B] 4.10.0-42-generic x86_64 (64 bit [B]gcc:[/B] 5.4.0)
    [B]Desktop:[/B] KDE Plasma 5.11.5 (Qt 5.9.3) [B]Distro:[/B] neon 16.04 xenial
    [B]Machine:  System:[/B] HP (portable) [B]product:[/B] HP EliteBook 725 G3
    [B]Mobo:[/B] HP [B]model:[/B] 8084 [B]v:[/B] KBC Version 75.6F [B]Bios:[/B] HP [B]v:[/B] N73 Ver. 01.19 [B]date:[/B] 06/08/2017
    [B]CPU:      Quad core[/B] AMD PRO A12-8800B R7 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G (-MCP-) [B]cache:[/B] 4096 KB
    [B]flags:[/B] (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) [B]bmips:[/B] 16768
    [B]clock speeds:max:[/B] 2100 MHz [B]1:[/B] 1400 MHz [B]2:[/B] 1800 MHz [B]3:[/B] 1400 MHz [B]4:[/B] 1400 MHz
    [B]Graphics: Card:[/B] Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Carrizo [B]bus-ID:[/B] 00:01.0
    [B]Display Server:[/B] X.Org 1.19.5 [B]drivers:[/B] ati (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon) [B]Resolution:[/B] 1366x768@59.99hz
    [B]GLX Renderer:[/B] AMD Radeon R7 Graphics (AMD CARRIZO / DRM 3.9.0 / 4.10.0-42-generic, LLVM 5.0.0)
    [B]GLX Version:[/B] 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 [B]Direct Rendering:[/B] Yes
    [B]Audio:    Card-1[/B] Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 157a [B]driver:[/B] snd_hda_intel [B]bus-ID:[/B] 00:09.2
    [B]Card-2[/B] Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio [B]driver:[/B] snd_hda_intel [B]bus-ID:[/B] 00:01.1
    [B]Sound:[/B] Advanced Linux Sound Architecture [B]v:[/B] k4.10.0-42-generic
    [B]Network:  Card-1:[/B] Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5762 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [B]driver:[/B] tg3 [B]v:[/B] 3.137 [B]bus-ID:[/B] 01:00.0
    [B]IF:[/B] enp1s0 [B]state:[/B] down [B]mac:[/B] ec:8e:b5:a4:33:ea
    [B]Card-2:[/B] Intel Wireless 7265 [B]driver:[/B] iwlwifi [B]bus-ID:[/B] 02:00.0
    [B]IF:[/B] wlp2s0 [B]state:[/B] up [B]mac:[/B] a4:02:b9:44:e6:61
    [B]Drives:   HDD Total Size:[/B] 256.1GB (26.3% used) [B]ID-1:[/B] /dev/sda [B]model:[/B] MTFDDAV256MBF [B]size:[/B] 256.1GB
    [B]Partition:ID-1:[/B] / [B]size:[/B] 217G [B]used:[/B] 61G (29%) [B]fs:[/B] btrfs [B]dev:[/B] /dev/sda3
    [B]ID-2:[/B] /home [B]size:[/B] 217G [B]used:[/B] 61G (29%) [B]fs:[/B] btrfs [B]dev:[/B] /dev/sda3
    [B]ID-3:[/B] swap-1 [B]size:[/B] 2.15GB [B]used:[/B] 0.00GB (0%) [B]fs:[/B] swap [B]dev:[/B] /dev/sda2
    [B]RAID:     [/B] No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
    [B]Sensors:  System Temperatures: cpu:[/B] 45.8C [B]mobo:[/B] 0.0C [B]gpu:[/B] 0.0
    [B]Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu:[/B] N/A
    [B]Info:     Processes:[/B] 236 [B]Uptime:[/B] 3 min [B]Memory:[/B] 966.2/7456.8MB [B]Init:[/B] systemd [B]runlevel:[/B] 5 [B]Gcc sys:[/B] 5.4.0
    [B]Client:[/B] Shell (bash 4.3.481) [B]inxi:[/B] 2.2.35 

[/FONT]

Code:
    [B]mr_raider@HP-EliteBook-725-G3[/B]:[B]~[/B]$ inxi -r
    [B]Repos:    Active apt sources in file:[/B] /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial main restricted                                                
    deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-updates main restricted                                        
    deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial universe                                                       
    deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-updates universe                                               
    deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial multiverse                                                     
    deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-updates multiverse                                             
    deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-backports main restricted universe multiverse                  
    deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial partner                                                         
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security main restricted                                          
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security universe                                                 
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security multiverse                                               
    deb http://apt.insynchq.com/ubuntu xenial non-free contrib                                                     
    deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian xenial contrib                                            
    [B]Active apt sources in file:[/B] /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list                                         
    deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main                                            
    [B]Active apt sources in file:[/B] /etc/apt/sources.list.d/neon.list                                                  
    deb http://archive.neon.kde.org/user xenial main                                                               
    deb-src http://archive.neon.kde.org/user xenial main                                                           
    [B]Active apt sources in file:[/B] /etc/apt/sources.list.d/team-xbmc-ubuntu-ppa-xenial.list                           
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu xenial main                                                  
    [B]Active apt sources in file:[/B] /etc/apt/sources.list.d/teejee2008-ubuntu-ppa-xenial.list                          
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/teejee2008/ppa/ubuntu xenial main                                                 
    [B]Active apt sources in file:[/B] /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-x-swat-ubuntu-updates-xenial.list                   
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/updates/ubuntu xenial main

At the boot menu you can usually choose to go back to the previous kernel source. I know it is a silly question but did you try that?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
    You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
    Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
    Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

Originally posted by pookito View Post
      At the boot menu you can usually choose to go back to the previous kernel source. I know it is a silly question but did you try that?

Yes. That's how I'm booting. Back in 4.10.

4.13 does actually boot but I'm dropped to a terminal only emergency mode. I can't start the xserver. Interestingly, in that mode my efi partition does not seem to mount.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
        Yes. That's how I'm booting. Back in 4.10.

4.13 does actually boot but I'm dropped to a terminal only emergency mode. I can't start the xserver. Interestingly, in that mode my efi partition does not seem to mount.
        Sorry to hear about your situation, idk how to fix that issue. I do know that there was an update from canonical that broke the is in certain computers. But I thought that was fixed. I don't remember if the 4.13 released was the problem, but a quick search about the topic would show a massive AMT of people through the same situation.

The way I see it is there are only two options right now. Wait for the next update or manually removing the bad kernel from grub.

I wish you well on your decision. [emoji6]

Comment

Also noticed that my wifi (intel 7265) does not work in kernel 4.13. Sticking to 4.10 for now.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
            Also noticed that my wifi (intel 7265) does not work in kernel 4.13. Sticking to 4.10 for now.
            Yep, that is an update issue.

Comment

I tried the 4-13 kernel as well to fix the “meltdown” issue and encountered the same issue. My NVIDIA GT 650m wouldn’t turn on and I got a black screen. I got my primary GPU running but it was synced to VERT at 60 FPS, 1/5th my 650m speed.
              I used Btrfs and rolled back to my pre 4-13 snapshot
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ok did more digging. It seems I'm getting a systemd failure and I am dropping to a systemd emergency mode. So the kernel and amdgpu driver are loading OK. Something in the startup critical chain is stalling.

It seems two services are stalling. It can't find kernel modules for 4.13 and it's can't mount my EFI partition due to a missing ISO charset.

Interestingly I was able to install and load a prior 4.13 revision kernel but still no wifi.

I'm gonna run a full fsck on all partitions today from a live usb, but I think there is something wrong with this kernel revision.

I really hope 4.14 is made available quickly in HWE edge.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

You didn't say which 4.13 kernel you're trying to boot to. If it's -26, here's the file list you should have installed:
                  Code:
                  linux-cloud-tools-4.13.0-26-generic
                  linux-headers-4.13.0-26
                  linux-headers-4.13.0-26-generic
                  linux-hwe-cloud-tools-4.13.0-26
                  linux-hwe-tools-4.13.0-26
                  linux-image-4.13.0-26-generic
                  linux-image-extra-4.13.0-26-generic 
                  linux-tools-4.13.0-26-generic
                  Slightly different if it's -25 or earlier:
                  Code:
                  linux-cloud-tools-4.13.0-25-generic
                  linux-headers-4.13.0-25
                  linux-headers-4.13.0-25-generic 
                  linux-hwe-edge-cloud-tools-4.13.0-25
                  linux-hwe-edge-tools-4.13.0-25 
                  linux-image-4.13.0-25-generic 
                  linux-image-extra-4.13.0-25-generic 
                  linux-tools-4.13.0-25-generic

Please Read Me

Comment

For the record, I've been using 4.13 for weeks now without issue, so...

Please Read Me

Comment

I've had no issues either (4.13.0-25). But I have a question: why did some computers update to version 26 while others only to version 25?

Comment

Well, not knowing what you're using - I'm using KDEneon. For whatever reason, the linux-headers will update but not the rest of it. I have to manually install all the additional packages, including linux-image- to get to the next kernel. I assume it's because KDEneon user edition is built using 4.4 kernel series and I jumped over that one a while ago.

That's why I suggested to mr_raider to check the package list.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          Well, not knowing what you're using - I'm using KDEneon. For whatever reason, the linux-headers will update but not the rest of it. I have to manually install all the additional packages, including linux-image- to get to the next kernel. I assume it's because KDEneon user edition is built using 4.4 kernel series and I jumped over that one a while ago.

That's why I suggested to mr_raider to check the package list.
                          Thank you for saying that. The issue was driving me crazy. [emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            You didn't say which 4.13 kernel you're trying to boot to. If it's -26, here's the file list you should have installed:
                            Code:
                            linux-cloud-tools-4.13.0-26-generic
                            linux-headers-4.13.0-26
                            linux-headers-4.13.0-26-generic
                            linux-hwe-cloud-tools-4.13.0-26
                            linux-hwe-tools-4.13.0-26
                            linux-image-4.13.0-26-generic
                            linux-image-extra-4.13.0-26-generic 
                            linux-tools-4.13.0-26-generic
                            Ok here's the issue:

Code:
                            [FONT=monospace]sudo apt-get --reinstall install linux-image-4.13.0-26-generic
                            Reading package lists... Done
                            Building dependency tree        
                            Reading state information... Done
                            Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
                            Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
                            Done
                            The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
                             qml-module-org-kde-kirigami
                            Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
                            0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
                            Need to get 20.8 MB of archives.
                            After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
                            Get:1 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 linux-image-4.13.0-26-generic amd64 4.13.0-26.29~16.0
                            4.2 [20.8 MB]
                            Fetched 20.8 MB in 10s (2,000 kB/s)                                                                                      
                            (Reading database ... 233405 files and directories currently installed.)
                            Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-4.13.0-26-generic_4.13.0-26.29~16.04.2_amd64.deb ...
                            Done.
                            Unpacking linux-image-4.13.0-26-generic (4.13.0-26.29~16.04.2) over (4.13.0-26.29~16.04.2) ...
                            Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
                            run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 4.13.0-26-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-26-generic
                            run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub 4.13.0-26-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-26-generic
                            Setting up linux-image-4.13.0-26-generic (4.13.0-26.29~16.04.2) ...
                            Running depmod.
                            depmod: ERROR: failed to load symbols from /lib/modules/4.13.0-26-generic/misc/vboxnetflt.ko: Invalid argument
                            depmod: ERROR: failed to load symbols from /lib/modules/4.13.0-26-generic/misc/vboxnetadp.ko: Invalid argument
                            depmod: ERROR: failed to load symbols from /lib/modules/4.13.0-26-generic/misc/vboxpci.ko: Invalid argument
                            depmod: ERROR: failed to load symbols from /lib/modules/4.13.0-26-generic/misc/vboxdrv.ko: Invalid argument
                            update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
                            Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
                            run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.13.0-26-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-26-generic
                            run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.13.0-26-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-26-generic
                            update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-26-generic
                            W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
                            W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
                            W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
                            W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_mec.bin for module amdgpu
                            W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_me.bin for module amdgpu
                            W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
                            W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_ce.bin for module amdgpu
                            W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
                            W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
                            run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 4.13.0-26-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-26-generic
                            run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier 4.13.0-26-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-26-generic
                            run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 4.13.0-26-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-26-generic
                            Generating grub configuration file ...
                            Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/breeze/theme.txt
                            Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-26-generic
                            Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-26-generic
                            Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-25-generic
                            Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-25-generic
                            Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.10.0-42-generic
                            Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.10.0-42-generic
                            Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
                            done

[/FONT]

Comment

Ok So I apt-get reinstalled every single module in your list one by one, and rebooted. Now it seems to work and I can boot 4.13 kernel.

Either I had an incomplete install, or worse, Neon does not handle HWE migration from kernel to kernel properly and the dependencies did not follow right. I have switched HWE stacks in (k)ubuntu without issues in the past, but my Neon was installed from a 16.04.3 image which may explain the issue.

Looks like I'll stick to Kubuntu 18.04 for my production machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X