Conky weirdness since 22.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conky weirdness since 22.04

Since the upgrade to the 22.04 base my conky is behaving poorly.

1. It is set up to launch at log in via putting the script into System Settings, but it no longer starts. I can manually run the script after the desktop loads and it starts, but not at log in.

2. Several parts of conky no longer work. I actually have 4 separate conky's running.

For some reason the weather conkys both stopped working - they launch but no data. Possibly a change in the weather server I scrape.
    One of the CPU items I was grabbing has been changed and apparently no longer exists.

I'm sort of just wondering if anyone else is having a similar experience.

Please Read Me

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    1. It is set up to launch at log in via putting the script into System Settings, but it no longer starts. I can manually run the script after the desktop loads and it starts, but not at log in.
    The new "Systemd startup' feature , starting in Plasma 5.25, enabled by the more recent systemd version we have now in 22.04
    One can switch back to the previous startup system, or try editing the .desktop file created to run the script, or modify it in the GUI?
    To go back to the previous way, and NOT use systemd startup
    kwriteconfig5 --file startkderc --group General --key systemdBoot false

I had an issue with having modified my Steam autostart to have it minimized, and had to move the command parameters in the gui from the command section down to the Arguments line, though I don't really see a difference in the .desktop file . I used to just edit that file manually to add '-silent' to the command string

I believe that the tool creating the .desktop files for autostart are now apparently more strict, or less forgiving, whatever that actually means, based on comments from the developer.

They probably just need to make the GUI create systemd user units for these, seems like it would have been easier, and maybe would allow for more complex options down the road. Like nesting or dependencies.
    Say, my torrent client doesn't/can't start until my vpn is up and running, that sort of thing.
    Last edited by claydoh; Nov 02, 2022, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I'm sort of just wondering if anyone else is having a similar experience.
      It seems so,,,
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...s-a-total-mess

Comment

Yes. I have asked about this problem on multiple occasions. There have been a number of similar issues expressed here and in the Facebook group by others as well. It is odd, because it appears not to be a KDE issue specifically.

Local pulse-audio configs wont start automatically. I need to restart it manually. Only then will the local config be applied (this really threw me for a while - I had no idea what was going on) - PA has nothing to do with KDE autostart as far as I know.

Local Nvidia configs will not start automatically. I need to launch NVCP manually for settings to be applied (it does remember them). This also is not a KDE autostart function.

Conky will not autostart using Conky Manager or manually adding it to the KDE autostart settings page. This is KDE, but is it KDE's fault?

A custom bash script I wrote for screen calibration wont start with KDE autostart. Manual startup.

I haven't tried Steam to be frank - I don't auto-launch it. I never did test autostart in Neon, so I don't know if its a Kubuntu issue specifically, or KDE in general. But it is new to 22.04. All this stuff worked fine in 21.10.
        Last edited by ShadYoung; Nov 02, 2022, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadYoung View Post
          A custom bash script I wrote for screen calibration wont start with KDE autostart. Manual startup.
          If you are talking about Kubuntu, the issue with systemd autostart would only affect 22.10, as both Plasma 5.25 or newer and systemd version 246 or newer are needed.

So Neon, Kinetic, and Jammy users who have added the Kubuntu Backports Extras PPA to upgrade to 5.25, as well as all other distros at or above this level would also be affected.
          In those cases, the command I gave will revert the plasma startup routine to the previous non-systemd methods, which should make startup scripts behave..

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            In those cases, the command I gave will revert the plasma startup routine to the previous non-systemd methods, which should make startup scripts behave..
            Sadly no joy. Nvidia-settings-rc was not applied. Conky not starting... though oddly.. it does briefly start when you logout on occasion. Then you are logged out and its been killed. Weird. What the heck is starting GeoClue demo agent?
            Last edited by ShadYoung; Nov 02, 2022, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Same here. Scripts for it won't work either. Some others in Autostart do, but not Conky, which is hit and miss here.

Comment

Yeah, my weatherunderground conkys don't work at all and the the power1_average cpu item under hwmon no longer exists. I assume this last one is a kernel change. I cannot gleen why weatherunderground stopped working. Nothing changed as far as I can tell except it no longer works.

I only have one other script in Autostart, but it only applies when I'm using dual monitors which I am not at this time so not sure if it works.

The two applications I have selected do launch correctly. Maybe the work around is to add the script desktop files to the Kmenu and list them as applications rather than scripts.

I'll have to test this further.

Please Read Me

Comment

I assume this last one is a kernel change. I cannot gleen why weatherunderground stopped working.
                  Wasn't it Linus who said "don't break userspace!"

It may be hardware related in my case. I am using 3+1 displays. The "1" is a 46in I only use when needed set to "above" the other three. It is not on all the time now that I have the portrait mode wing panels setup (it is also not fully debugged in the "above" position yet). Up until getting the wings working a few days ago, the 46" was always used as a secondary monitor. Now that it is physically turned off... I suddenly find the nvidia-settings-rc (colour calibration/gamma) is being applied at startup again. Weird.

Now I should check to see if the rest of it has suddenly started working. If so... why would a monitor being on or off effect that?

Comment

Working...
                  X