Upgrade to 22.0 is a TOTAL mess.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to 22.0 is a TOTAL mess.

It uninstalled wine. Which cannot be re-installed as it needs wine32, and that gives more dependency errors than the tower of babel.
    It completely messed up python, no modules found, looks like a two-month job to recover - if even possible.
    It confuses conky. It... it's a total mess.

Now, I'd just like a working system, so the question is: if I roll back to the last snapshot, and stay on the 20.04 base, can I stay on it? For how long?

Are you still on the Unstable or Testing release? "Normal" Wine, or WineHQ?
    If you are not on the User edition, you might be SOL on 32-bit libraries, at least right now.

I don't know what might be wrong with conky, that would be pure Ubuntu, as well as Python issues, as neither are touched or modified by neon here
    Normal, stock Ubuntu's Wine in 22.04 addition should have no issues on the User Edition, but the third party Wine HQ packages do have some 32 bit package issues that are being worked on.

If they haven't already stopped building Plasma related packages for 20.04 for Testing/Unstable, they will be doing so very soon, based on past actions. I think they have already stopped updates for User, but I didn't look too deeply to verify 100%
    However, since the OS is still Ubuntu LTS, it still sees security and some other updates until 2025, so your system still will be useful for quite some time if you roll back. Just without any Plasma/Qt updates.

Comment

I am on User. Wine... HQ... I think :·/
      I rolled back. I'm not really worried about updates, actually.

Comment

You know what... if I'm destined to live without updates, one of these days I'll install Kubuntu 16.04 (the best distro ever).
        Firefox I can update on its own

Comment

-theI *think* the Wine issue is actually only one or two i386 packages that neon have to build, that aren't needed for 'normal' wine. I think there were some python issues involved (go figure).

I may at this point be the unofficial poke-the-dev-so-he-doesn't-forget-the-32-bit-wine-stuff guy

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            -

I may at this point be the unofficial poke-the-dev-so-he-doesn't-forget-the-32-bit-wine-stuff guy
            Do It!!!!!!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post

Do It!!!!!!! LOL

As for being able to (re)install winehq, it looks like one needs to downgrade the offending libpoppler file back to the Ubuntu version, as they are not going to build *all* of the non-KDE related packaging infrastructure and dependency layers needed just to get this one package.
              Code:
              sudo apt install libpoppler-glib8:{i386,amd64}=22.02.0-2ubuntu0.1
              I suppose it might need pinning? I'd expect it to want to be upgraded back to the neon verision (for the 64 bit) when one updates next, but no one has complained about that as of yet.
              I am guessing that since the 32 and 64-bit packages need to match, version-wise, that this may keep things together?
              No, libpoppler-glib8 will just be in a permanent state of being 'held back' unless a preference for packaging for this from the Ubuntu repo is created.

I held back on posting this workaround, as they were looking at fixing the issue, but it seems they won't be able to.

To keep the Ubuntu repo version (no idea if this is safe or won't cause conflicts in the future, no ideas what this bit is used for)

Create a file /etc/apt/preferences.d/libpoppler-glib8-pin, or whatever you want to call it, and add this:

Code:
              Package: libpoppler-glib8
              Pin: release o=Ubuntu
              Pin-Priority: 550​
              Last edited by claydoh; Nov 03, 2022, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Maybe I'll try again in a year or so
                Because, I mean, wine: command not found is bad enough, but python: command not found... hey :·/

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                  Maybe I'll try again in a year or so
                  Because, I mean, wine: command not found is bad enough, but python: command not found... hey :·/
                  Yeah, one of these is perhaps slightly more important to some people lol. (I side with you on Python, of course)

Comment

On my fully up to date KDE neon User Edition, 'python' doesn't exist, even in Muon Package Manager. What does, are python3-* packages. The only non-number python package is python-apt-common.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

"python" is usually a symlink to whichever version of it you like to use as default.

~$ which python
                      /usr/bin/python
                      ~$ ll /usr/bin/python
                      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 13 2020 /usr/bin/python -> python2.7*

~$ ll /usr/bin/python*
                      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 13 2020 /usr/bin/python -> python2.7*
                      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 13 2020 /usr/bin/python2 -> python2.7*
                      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3.5M Jul 1 14:27 /usr/bin/python2.7*
                      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 13 2020 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.8*
                      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5.3M Jun 22 22:18 /usr/bin/python3.8*
                      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Jun 22 22:18 /usr/bin/python3.8-config -> x86_64-linux-gnu-python3.8-config*
                      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Mar 13 2020 /usr/bin/python3-config -> python3.8-config*

Comment

Actually, I consider python... as messy as it gets.
                        And the python2 -> python3 transition even messier. I wonder why some programmers like it. None of them seem to be able to compile it properly either.
                        Having to pip install some.module all the time is a PITA. They should just make appimages, or at least proper packages with dependencies in them of those messy messes.

Ah, and the python2 module repository that used to be able to save your ass in most cases is now "unsigned" and apt has a hard time working with it.

Comment

Ah, and the python2 module repository that used to be able to save your ass in most cases is now "unsigned" and apt has a hard time working with it.
                          That can probably be fixed, though that PPA has not seen any update since May 2020 (understandable as it only has software for 20.04)

I though most of the (sane) world moved on to Python 3 well before 2020.... (/me ducks and runs for cover hehe)

Comment

"python" is usually a symlink to whichever version of it you like to use as default.

~$ which python
                            /usr/bin/python
                            I do have python3 installed, but which python doesn't return anything; I have to use which python3 which returns:

/usr/bin/python3 -> python3.10
                            /usr/bin/python3

These are the only python* entries in /usr/bin (for me).
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              I though most of the (sane) world moved on to Python 3 well before 2020...)
                              They probably did, but I seem to be using quite a few applications that were written before that, won't work with 3, developers can't be bothered... pity though, they were really good applications :·/

which python doesn't return anything;​
                              Well, those oldies seem to use python as a command - or something - so the symlinks are mandatory.
                              Thing is, at the moment I really can't be bothered to troubleshoot all that... when I was young, I programmed in QBasic - lovely language, actually, had tons of built-in functions, you didn't have to define anything, no modules to load, you needed something that wasn't built in, you just stated it. You wanted some routine that was available, you copy-pasted it, GOSUBbed it, no hassle.
                              And line numbers might not have been "cool" but hey, useful they were.
                              And once your program ran well - interpreted - you just compiled it, and it ran even better :·)

Comment

Working...
                              X