What is KDE Neon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
    Shad wants to be able to do the things, but without the 'extra work' so to speak.
    Not at all unreasonable. Learning new things is not always ideal or desired.
    Not at all true. I prefer to do the extra work. The problem is I can't. The "Kubuntu way" wont let me. Everything is dynamically configured, and its doing it wrong, and there is little I can do about it. I also do not like doing extra work when the extra work is unnecessary or arbitrary, as in the decision not to understand that 80% of the GPUs in use are Nvidia..

I have been asking for months about tools for performance tuning in Linux. Crickets is the usual response. So its a tad disingenuous to make it sound like I am looking for easy solutions. No I do not redit, but I am thinking I should, as there seems to be more up-to-date solutions there than anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadYoung View Post
      Its like the dev team never tested it beyond a single display, and obviously never rotated a display or this bizarre behavior would have been fixed long ago, as it would drive them as crazy as it driving me. Neon fixes half of it, at least.
      Haha, distro testing? In all actuality, Kubuntu has far more testing than neon, though very few users ever take part. Most is basic installation and core usage. Most of the testing is done on the KDE side. neon and Kubuntu basically just package and ship the software. I think you are sort of thinking the open source model of development follows the commercial software development , testing , and release process.

it is much more likely that the devs don't have all the different hardware combos possible, and in their own testing on their own hardware setups, rotation works as expected. There is a heavy reliance on user bug reporting (not via forum post or reddit griping) which unfortunately is not an easy thing for most people to do, even for simple basic things

So we end back to where we started, sometimes:
      neon will have a newer kscreen or whatever part is helping you, but in a few months, they will change your application launcher

I imagine for this sort of screen issue you might need to ditch kscreen altogether and go 'old school' with a custom xorg.conf file or xrandr scripting, which would iirc set all the resolutions and orientations before login. I think oshunluvr has experience with this and multi-multi-monitor setups.

Comment

Originally posted by brianinnes View Post

Why do you need fan control / memory control / voltage control on the KDE desktop? Why not let the computer BIOS deal with this automatically? There is lots to be said for keeping things "simple", and let the computer bios automatically adjust the fan speeds as temperatures rise, rather than use additional applications.
        When used in a capital oriented capacity, a workstation's performance is a time related cost consideration. This machine is very often working at 100% on all processors (CPU and GPUs simultaneously). When rendering a 3D animation or an effects heavy video, time is money. Pushing a machine to the edge of stability can result in upwards of 15% reduced time to render, with the reduced render time being more valuable than the operating cost increase (work per cycle per kwh). But leaving it in a "to the limits state" increases power usage and heat, which are unnecessary added costs under normal usage conditions. It also shortens parts lifespan.

So being able to quickly switch back and forth between profiles is useful in balancing performance with cost and durability.

it is also much faster to test tuning on the desktop in real time than to have to go back and forth, and back and forth, and back and forth, to the bois. This too has to be calculate into your cost analysis. Time is money. This isn't a toy. Its a tool.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadYoung View Post
          The "Kubuntu way" wont let me. Everything is dynamically configured,
          That is not "Kubuntu-specific" in any way. Most all distros are doing this at the kernel levels, or at some lower levels like udev, systemd etc. Plasma distros are using Kscreen, but one can disable or uninstall this and set things up manually (probably not graphically tho)
          Multiple monitors support is a known sore point on Plasma across all distros. I have no idea how well things work in other desktop environments.

The 'work' IS in part going outside the very tiny corner of the Linux universe that is the completely independent Kubuntuforums community, and tapping into the broader knowledge base of the general Ubuntu, KDE, and Linux community.
          I think we tend to forget to point this out more often. As well as the fact that Kubuntu=Ubuntu in most areas.

You get crickets here because the couple dozen active folks simply don't have the same collective experience or interests that other larger groups might have, unfortunately.

Performance tuning has zero to do with any desktop environment, and involves moving targets that often are actual hindrances to such things. it seems to me that progress on this type of GUI tool is only recently been usable in general, though it might be that I stopped paying as much attention to it perhaps.
          The corectrl application is only a few years old iirc.
          I am hoping that the potential influx of new performance-oriented Linux users from the Steam Deck might also bring in some developers or development ideas and interest on the desktop side. Assuming desktops are still a thing anymore
          (I do suspect most coders are using laptops, which are more common today)

Nvidia closed source drivers for example have been a LONG and painful inconsistent pita that have great feature sets, but can't have things fixed unless nvidia do it themselves. if they bother to. So 80% of the gpu users have potentially Sh***y support but still have tons of tweakable options if one wants to dive in to custom xorg,conf files and the like.

You kind of need to go outside of the distro-specific places for ideas, I think, especially for triple-monitor configuration.

if you visit reddit, /r/linuxquestions is a good general knowledge sub to ask questions. Searching the site also can bring up useful info, as the Linux parts are less annoying than the more general subs. otherwise, Reddit can be a cesspool.
          askubuntu and various stackexchanges can be hit or miss, leaning toward the miss side, just from the sheer number of similar questions and topics and potential staleness.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

You kind of need to go outside of the distro-specific places for ideas, I think, especially for triple-monitor configuration.
            Yes, well, in between the conversations here, I have been doing exactly that, and I have, over a 4 day period identified the culprits causing the issues, tracked them down one by one, and have killed them all. And now, except for the stupid launcher decision by Kubuntu that is not an issue in Neon, I have a perfect multi-monitor setup with stable widgets on a rotated wing. I now know how to add the final forth rotated wing monitor, however, I may need a new primary video card as this one is reaching its resolution limits with three.

I also solved the odd scaling, weird aspect ratio login problems others are having (detailed fix to be posted soon).

I also solved the "video wont resume from sleep" problem (I think, overnight testing required).

And I also think I solved the weird wallpaper always resetting itself on the secondary monitor problem many people have complained of. We shall have to see about that one as its a bit random.

So... yeah.. I think I am doing the work, I think I am looking outside the box. I look everywhere, including here.

And the fix is re-configuring SDDM. As I suspected. But it took a while to learn.
            Last edited by ShadYoung; Oct 29, 2022, 06:14 PM.

Comment

My solution ended up being to disable kcreen2 and write a custom monitor config file and run it at boot time. The issue I had was kscreen would default to a refresh rate that my monitor didn't support.

Please Read Me

Comment

Here's an example:
                Executable file stored as ~/.local/scripts/setmon :
                Code:
                #!/bin/bash
                xrandr --output DisplayPort-3 --primary --pos 0x0
                xrandr --output HDMI-A-0 --rotate right --right-of DisplayPort-3 --pos 3840x0
                ​Then using System Settings, add the script to run at login. This creates a Desktop file stored at ~/.config/autostart/setmon.desktop :
                Code:
                [Desktop Entry]
                Exec=/home/stuart/.local/scripts/setmon
                Icon=dialog-scripts
                Name=setmon
                Path=
                Type=Application
                X-KDE-AutostartScript=true
                ​Basically, you just have to know what xrandr commands are needed to configure it the way you want. For my laptop, I wrote a more a complicated version that detects a a specific external monitor and sets it up properly.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X