Santa paid me a visit ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A riddle ...
    My cable modem wifi gateway is 192.168.1.1 My Buffalo 600N gateway is 192.168.11.1
    On my Acer I can see access points from both wifis.
    On my HP I can only see access points on the cable modem gateway.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hmm, not a network expert but why different subnets? With wifi, the network manager is assigning the subnet so it can "see" any network. If you HP is wired or maybe some Wifi restriction in place, maybe it can't see the second subnet? I'm just guessing here.

If you need two subnets, use a wider subnet mask to allow connection across the both networks.

You could probably just assign the 600N an IP 192.168.1.2 - again I'm pretty much beginner in the world of networks.

@here when I had two routers I used 255.255.254.0 as a subnet mask and then 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1 for the routers. Since then I added a second Asus router and meshed with my primary. Works better than two subnets - devices only see one IP address and don't have to switch over.
      Last edited by oshunluvr; Dec 29, 2021, 02:46 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I know next to nothing abut networking. However, when I first installed Neon on this HP it had both Secureboot and EFI active and when the wifi was working I could see AP's from both routers.

I was able for the small amount of time the wifi worked, to reserve 192.168.1.100 and assign it to my HP's wifi MAC address regardless of who is logged into my net or when. That way I could assign that local address to my he-ipv6 service, to emulate native IPv6 protocol. It worked and my browser automatically tries to load the IPv6 page first and rolled over to IPv4 within 1 second if it wasn't successful. That is, when my HP could see my Buffalo. WIth Secureboot disabled I am not able to see the Buffalo's AP's but that may be a coincidence and not a cause.

But, it's just another problem and I'm having fun solving them! I took my cable modem box apart and found a sticker with the name and password underneath so I am going to experiment with it and see how I can mess it up.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Dec 29, 2021, 03:13 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          I took my cable modem box apart and found a sticker with the name and password underneath so I am going to experiment with it and see how I can mess it up.
          And what could possibly go wrong with that!
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

• oshunluvr
            oshunluvr commented
            Editing a comment
            Right? ROFL

Well, I've moved the Acer into standby and put the HP on the podium. Now to continue the process of configuration and import of data.
          The wifi has been on continually without a problem since around 10AM this morning. It's now about 8PM. I'll mark this problem solved.

PS - Thanks Claydoh for that tip on the "other installation" on GitHub. That did the trick!
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Dec 29, 2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Well, I've moved the Acer into standby and put the HP on the podium. Now to continue the process of configuration and import of data.
            The wifi has been on continually without a problem since around 10AM this morning. It's now about 8PM. I'll mark this problem solved.

PS - Thanks Claydoh for that tip on the "other installation" on GitHub. That did the trick!
            Cool that it is working!
            I wasn't sure if it would be useful or not, as I used the slightly newer github driver to (somewhat) fix random Bluetooth issues. This was ultimately fixed by hurling the card against the wall into a parts bin, and replacing it with a different one.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Cool that it is working!
              I wasn't sure if it would be useful or not, as I used the slightly newer github driver to (somewhat) fix random Bluetooth issues. This was ultimately fixed by hurling the card against the wall into a parts bin, and replacing it with a different one.
              ROF,L!!!1
              To do that I'd have to throw the laptop against the wall .... mmmm.....

My problem is still that I can see the AP's from the wifi of the cable modem but this HP laptopI cannot see the AP's from the Buffalo 600N DD-WRT wifi plugged into it. My Acer sees AP's from both wifi. I can't imagine what change in the BIOS would cause selective visibility of a wifi. So, I suspect that it is caused by the wifi driver itself.

During the last three/four years I've used the fiber optic from Allophone.com I've never used the cable modem wifi because (initially) there wasn't a way to configure it to my liking by assigning IP addresses using MAC addresses. Now there is, but it doesn't seem to help when I change stuff.

The driver for the rtl8821ce chip installed by your recommended process is 8821ce. It has a TON of PARM's to mess with. I also notice that it includes a secure boot module signature key. Since I have secure boot turned off why would it install that? I suspect that secure boot is my problem.

Something to work on, more fun to be had!
              $ modinfo 8821ce
              filename: /lib/modules/5.11.0-43-generic/updates/dkms/8821ce.ko
              version: v5.5.2_34066.20200325_COEX20180712-3232
              author: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
              description: Realtek Wireless Lan Driver
              license: GPL
              srcversion: CAF78B3D008B6DDE918B09D
              alias: pci:v000010ECd0000C82Bsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
              alias: pci:v000010ECd0000C82Asv*sd*bc*sc*i*
              alias: pci:v000010ECd0000C821sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
              depends: cfg80211
              retpoline: Y
              name: 8821ce
              vermagic: 5.11.0-43-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
              sig_id: PKCS#7
              signer: jerry-hp17cn1xxx Secure Boot Module Signature key
              sig_key: 0B:F9:89:90B:FE:E8:90:3B:8D:5E:52:AD:40:44:4E:4C:AB:FA:10
              sig_hashalgo: sha512
              signature: 94:9B:23:7F:A3:B6:35:F1:97:EC:36:B3:F0:B4:E5:06:57 :8D:2F:E1:
              A0:E3:B1:78:54:3D:30:80:87:E4:8E:BC:79:C5:81:4F:B4 :EE:6A:06:
              692:10:EF:AE:7C:BC:45:24:FD:3C:3D:4C:BC:BB:25:80:0C: BD:B2:
              E0:27:65:28:E3:46:8A:14:65:FD:AF:21:F0F:3A:F9:1A:3A:2F:79:
              00:C2:C0A:40:ED:EC:21:09:42:C6:E1:20:78:44:7C:9F:9D:C5:AC:
              99:15:C1:9D:F6:6E:6C:1C:7A:51:CF:85:ED:C7:5A:E1:54 :3E9:12:
              52:20:91:99:4E:A4:CA:84:BF:F8:30:E6:F9:5D:04:1A:4C :3C:F6:A8:
              B7:AB:2E:4C29:4C:52:B1:F4:A3:38:A78:81:4A:8D:85:C4:00:
              4F:FD3:3B:C8:E0:C4:C9:A1:CF:54:26:9E:FE:C0:1F:7F:F7:4C: 4D:
              FD:BE3:3E:CA:144:18:5D:1D:71C:22:F9:02:00:6C:13:87:42:
              D2:6B:0A1:AC:FA:B3:8A:ED:3D:67:EA:C22:BC:6C:70:B2:2F:E5:
              0C:E1:08:86:1E:4E:CD:0F:21:F8:06:7C:14:17:B8:9D3:E1:78:B2:
              80:41:46:7DB:03:EF:09:B6:5F:82:9C:92:38:16:E1
              parm: rtw_wireless_mode:int
              parm: rtw_ips_mode:The default IPS mode (int)
              parm: rtw_lps_level:The default LPS level (int)
              parm: rtw_lps_chk_by_tp:int
              parm: rtw_max_bss_cnt:int
              parm: rtw_usb_rxagg_mode:int
              parm: rtw_dynamic_agg_enable:int
              parm: rtw_tx_bw_mode:The max tx bw for 2.4G and 5G. format is the same as rtw_bw_mode (uint)
              parm: rtw_rx_ampdu_sz_limit_1ss:RX AMPDU size limit for 1SS link of each BW, 0xFF: no limitation (array of u
              int)
              parm: rtw_rx_ampdu_sz_limit_2ss:RX AMPDU size limit for 2SS link of each BW, 0xFF: no limitation (array of u
              int)
              parm: rtw_rx_ampdu_sz_limit_3ss:RX AMPDU size limit for 3SS link of each BW, 0xFF: no limitation (array of u
              int)
              parm: rtw_rx_ampdu_sz_limit_4ss:RX AMPDU size limit for 4SS link of each BW, 0xFF: no limitation (array of u
              int)
              parm: rtw_vht_enable:int
              parm: rtw_vht_rx_mcs_map:VHT RX MCS map (uint)
              parm: rtw_rf_config:int
              parm: rtw_country_code:The default country code (in alpha2) (charp)
              parm: rtw_channel_plan:The default chplan ID when rtw_alpha2 is not specified or valid (int)
              parm: rtw_excl_chs:exclusive channel array (array of uint)
              parm: rtw_btcoex_enable:BT co-existence on/off, 0ff, 1n, 2:by efuse (int)
              parm: rtw_ant_num:Antenna number setting, 0:by efuse (int)
              parm: rtw_qos_opt_enable:int
              parm: ifname:The default name to allocate for first interface (charp)
              parm: if2name:The default name to allocate for second interface (charp)
              parm: rtw_pwrtrim_enable:int
              parm: rtw_initmac:charp
              parm: rtw_special_rf_path:int
              parm: rtw_chip_version:int
              parm: rtw_rfintfs:int
              parm: rtw_lbkmode:int
              parm: rtw_network_mode:int
              parm: rtw_channel:int
              parm: rtw_mp_mode:int
              parm: rtw_wmm_enable:int
              parm: rtw_uapsd_max_sp:int
              parm: rtw_uapsd_ac_enable:int
              parm: rtw_wmm_smart_ps:int
              parm: rtw_vrtl_carrier_sense:int
              parm: rtw_vcs_type:int
              parm: rtw_busy_thresh:int
              parm: rtw_ht_enable:int
              parm: rtw_bw_mode:int
              parm: rtw_ampdu_enable:int
              parm: rtw_rx_stbc:int
              parm: rtw_rx_ampdu_amsdu:int
              parm: rtw_tx_ampdu_amsdu:int
              parm: rtw_lowrate_two_xmit:int
              parm: rtw_power_mgnt:int
              parm: rtw_smart_ps:int
              parm: rtw_low_power:int
              parm: rtw_wifi_spec:int
              parm: rtw_full_ch_in_p2p_handshake:int
              parm: rtw_antdiv_cfg:int
              parm: rtw_antdiv_type:int
              parm: rtw_drv_ant_band_switch:int
              parm: rtw_single_ant_path:int
              parm: rtw_switch_usb_mode:int
              parm: rtw_enusbss:int
              parm: rtw_hwpdn_mode:int
              parm: rtw_hwpwrp_detect:int
              parm: rtw_hw_wps_pbc:int
              parm: rtw_check_hw_status:int
              parm: rtw_pci_aspm_enable:int
              parm: rtw_max_roaming_times:The max roaming times to try (uint)
              parm: rtw_mc2u_disable:int
              parm: rtw_notch_filter:0isable, 1:Enable, 2:Enable only for P2P (uint)
              parm: rtw_hiq_filter:0:allow all, 1:allow special, 2:deny all (uint)
              parm: rtw_adaptivity_en:0:disable, 1:enable (uint)
              parm: rtw_adaptivity_mode:0:normal, 1:carrier sense (uint)
              parm: rtw_adaptivity_th_l2h_ini:th_l2h_ini for Adaptivity (int)
              parm: rtw_adaptivity_th_edcca_hl_diff:th_edcca_hl_diff for Adaptivity (int)
              parm: rtw_amplifier_type_2g:BIT3:2G ext-PA, BIT4:2G ext-LNA (uint)
              parm: rtw_amplifier_type_5g:BIT6:5G ext-PA, BIT7:5G ext-LNA (uint)
              parm: rtw_RFE_type:default init value:64 (uint)
              parm: rtw_powertracking_type:default init value:64 (uint)
              parm: rtw_GLNA_type:default init value:0 (uint)
              parm: rtw_TxBBSwing_2G:default init value:0xFF (uint)
              parm: rtw_TxBBSwing_5G:default init value:0xFF (uint)
              parm: rtw_OffEfuseMask:default open Efuse Mask value:0 (uint)
              parm: rtw_FileMaskEfuse:default drv Mask Efuse value:0 (uint)
              parm: rtw_rxgain_offset_2g:default RF Gain 2G Offset value:0 (uint)
              parm: rtw_rxgain_offset_5gl:default RF Gain 5GL Offset value:0 (uint)
              parm: rtw_rxgain_offset_5gh:uint
              parm: rtw_rxgain_offset_5gm:default RF Gain 5GM Offset value:0 (uint)
              parm: rtw_pll_ref_clk_sel:force pll_ref_clk_sel, 0xF:use autoload value (uint)
              parm: rtw_tx_pwr_by_rate:0isable, 1:Enable, 2: Depend on efuse (int)
              parm: rtw_tx_pwr_lmt_enable:0isable, 1:Enable, 2: Depend on efuse (int)
              parm: rtw_target_tx_pwr_2g_a:2.4G target tx power (unit:dBm) of RF path A for each rate section, should matc
              h the real calibrate power, -1: undefined (array of int)
              parm: rtw_target_tx_pwr_2g_b:2.4G target tx power (unit:dBm) of RF path B for each rate section, should matc
              parm: rtw_target_tx_pwr_2g_c:2.4G target tx power (unit:dBm) of RF path C for each rate section, should matc
              parm: rtw_target_tx_pwr_2g_d:2.4G target tx power (unit:dBm) of RF path D for each rate section, should matc
              parm: rtw_target_tx_pwr_5g_a:5G target tx power (unit:dBm) of RF path A for each rate section, should match
              the real calibrate power, -1: undefined (array of int)
              parm: rtw_target_tx_pwr_5g_b:5G target tx power (unit:dBm) of RF path B for each rate section, should match
              parm: rtw_target_tx_pwr_5g_c:5G target tx power (unit:dBm) of RF path C for each rate section, should match
              parm: rtw_target_tx_pwr_5g_d:5G target tx power (unit:dBm) of RF path D for each rate section, should match
              parm: rtw_tsf_update_pause_factor:num of bcn intervals to stay TSF update pause status (int)
              parm: rtw_tsf_update_restore_factor:num of bcn intervals to stay TSF update restore status (int)
              parm: rtw_phy_file_path:The path of phy parameter (charp)
              parm: rtw_load_phy_file:PHY File Bit Map (int)
              parm: rtw_decrypt_phy_file:Enable Decrypt PHY File (int)
              parm: rtw_en_napi:int
              parm: rtw_en_gro:int
              parm: rtw_iqk_fw_offload:int
              parm: rtw_ch_switch_offload:int

Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 31, 2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I have secure boot disabled, and did not notice any wifi connection errors, though I did not use it often - power or Comcast outages and the like, and using wifi tethering, mostly.

The hardest part of swapping out wifi on a laptop is usually snapping the teensy-weensy antenna plugs onto the new card Not that I am recommending that. But Intel cards are inexpensive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	659279

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  I have secure boot disabled, and did not notice any wifi connection errors, though I did not use it often - power or Comcast outages and the like, and using wifi tethering, mostly.

The hardest part of swapping out wifi on a laptop is usually snapping the teensy-weensy antenna plugs onto the new card Not that I am recommending that. But Intel cards are inexpensive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wifi.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.3 KB ID:	659279
                  So far, the rtl8821ce has stayed up since 10AM yesterday. Hope in continues, but if it doesn't, OR, I can connect it to the failure to see the Buffalo 600N wifi router then I've already downloaded an HP maintenance video describing how to replace it, AND more importantly, how to replace the 1TB rust bucket which is acting like an anchor chain on this box. As long as an app doesn't access the 5,400 rpm HD it runs very fast, otherwise. ... I'm not used to waiting for 5-30 seconds for an action that involves the HD to take place. IF there is an empty M2. slot inside I am going to fill it and use it as the boot drive and the 1TB as storage.

Comment

Well, the wifi is staying up, but it is loading the error log with a ton of barf.... which repeated almost exclusively since I booted up a little past noon. Dmesg shows the boot up stuff and then gets right into the rtl6621ce warning msgs, which are continually through the rest of the log until the end at 12719.286089.

[ 677.025120] ------------[ cut here ]------------
                    [ 677.025125] WARNING: CPU: 4 PID: 762 at /var/lib/dkms/rtl8821ce/v5.5.2_34066.20200325/build/hal/hal_com.c:11447 rtw
                    _lps_state_chk+0x39/0x41 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.025281] Modules linked in: rfcomm sit tunnel4 ip_tunnel cmac algif_hash algif_skcipher af_alg bnep snd_soc_skl_
                    hda_dsp snd_soc_intel_hda_dsp_common snd_soc_hdac_hdmi snd_hda_codec_hdmi snd_hda_codec_realtek nls_iso8859_1 snd_hda_
                    codec_generic snd_soc_dmic snd_sof_pci snd_sof_intel_hda_common snd_sof_intel_hda snd_sof_intel_byt snd_sof_intel_ipc
                    snd_sof snd_sof_xtensa_dsp snd_soc_hdac_hda snd_hda_ext_core snd_soc_acpi_intel_match snd_soc_acpi ledtrig_audio snd_h
                    da_intel snd_intel_dspcfg soundwire_intel soundwire_generic_allocation soundwire_cadence snd_hda_codec snd_hda_core sn
                    d_hwdep soundwire_bus snd_soc_core snd_compress ac97_bus snd_pcm_dmaengine snd_pcm uvcvideo snd_seq_midi snd_seq_midi_
                    event videobuf2_vmalloc videobuf2_memops videobuf2_v4l2 x86_pkg_temp_thermal videobuf2_common snd_rawmidi snd_seq inte
                    l_powerclamp coretemp videodev snd_seq_device snd_timer snd kvm_intel btusb btrtl soundcore btbcm btintel kvm 8821ce(O
                    E) mc mei_hdcp bluetooth cfg80211 joydev
                    [ 677.025367] processor_thermal_device processor_thermal_rfim processor_thermal_mbox intel_rapl_msr processor_therma
                    l_rapl intel_rapl_common ecdh_generic ecc intel_cstate input_leds hid_multitouch efi_pstore serio_raw hp_wmi intel_soc
                    _dts_iosf int3400_thermal ee1004 int3403_thermal acpi_thermal_rel int340x_thermal_zone acpi_pad hp_wireless sparse_key
                    map wmi_bmof mei_me mei intel_pmt_telemetry intel_pmt_class mac_hid sch_fq_codel msr parport_pc ppdev lp parport ip_ta
                    bles x_tables autofs4 btrfs blake2b_generic xor raid6_pq libcrc32c hid_logitech_hidpp hid_logitech_dj usbhid hid_gener
                    ic ahci i915 libahci i2c_algo_bit drm_kms_helper crct10dif_pclmul crc32_pclmul syscopyarea ghash_clmulni_intel sysfill
                    rect sysimgblt aesni_intel fb_sys_fops cec rc_core crypto_simd cryptd glue_helper drm intel_lpss_pci i2c_i801 intel_lp
                    ss i2c_smbus idma64 xhci_pci intel_pmt virt_dma vmd xhci_pci_renesas i2c_hid wmi hid video pinctrl_tigerlake
                    [ 677.025469] CPU: 4 PID: 762 Comm: RTW_CMD_THREAD Tainted: G OE 5.11.0-43-generic #47~20.04.2-Ubuntu
                    [ 677.025475] Hardware name: HP HP Laptop 17-cn1xxx/89B7, BIOS F.11 08/03/2021
                    [ 677.025477] RIP: 0010:rtw_lps_state_chk+0x39/0x41 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.025597] Code: 54 53 49 89 fc bb 0b 00 00 00 be 04 06 00 00 4c 89 e7 e8 f9 49 f9 ff 84 c0 79 11 bf 01 00 00 00 e
                    8 de 6b fd ff 80 eb 01 75 e0 <0f> 0b 5b 41 5c 5d c3 c3 0f 1f 44 00 00 55 48 89 e5 41 54 53 48 83
                    [ 677.025601] RSP: 0018:ffffaf3dc0ddbc20 EFLAGS: 00010246
                    [ 677.025606] RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: 0000000000000000 RCX: 0000000000000000
                    [ 677.025608] RDX: ffff8f3e23b1f240 RSI: 0000000055555554 RDI: ffffaf3dc0ddbb58
                    [ 677.025611] RBP: ffffaf3dc0ddbc30 R08: 0000009da1d6df51 R09: 0000000000000000
                    [ 677.025613] R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000000 R12: ffffaf3dc0788000
                    [ 677.025616] R13: ffffaf3dc0ddbcfc R14: ffffaf3dc0d41000 R15: ffffaf3dc0d41000
                    [ 677.025618] FS: 0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff8f3e23b00000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
                    [ 677.025621] CS: 0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
                    [ 677.025624] CR2: 00007faaed4c51a0 CR3: 0000000235610003 CR4: 0000000000770ee0
                    [ 677.025627] PKRU: 55555554
                    [ 677.025629] Call Trace:
                    [ 677.025635] SetHwReg+0x188/0x738 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.025758] rtl8821c_sethwreg+0xcfd/0xd50 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.025890] sethwreg+0x2a/0x14f [8821ce]
                    [ 677.026012] rtw_hal_set_hwreg+0x19/0x1b [8821ce]
                    [ 677.026138] rtw_set_ps_mode+0xd9/0x1e7 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.026241] LPS_Leave+0xd0/0xef [8821ce]
                    [ 677.026335] traffic_status_watchdog+0x1d8/0x2d1 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.026385] ? _rtw_mi_dynamic_check_timer_handlder+0x15/0x15 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.026470] rtw_iface_dynamic_chk_wk_hdl+0x5a/0x1a9 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.026520] ? _rtw_mi_dynamic_check_timer_handlder+0x15/0x15 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.026601] _rtw_mi_dynamic_chk_wk_hdl+0xe/0x15 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.026682] _rtw_mi_process+0x65/0x7c [8821ce]
                    [ 677.026761] rtw_mi_dynamic_chk_wk_hdl+0x1f/0x21 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.026877] rtw_dynamic_chk_wk_hdl+0x12/0x4a [8821ce]
                    [ 677.026926] rtw_drvextra_cmd_hdl+0xaf/0x436 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.026979] rtw_cmd_thread+0x2b2/0x403 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.027023] ? session_tracker_cmd_hdl+0x1c5/0x1c5 [8821ce]
                    [ 677.027073] ? rtw_stop_cmd_thread+0x3e/0x3e [8821ce]
                    [ 677.027117] kthread+0x12b/0x150
                    [ 677.027126] ? set_kthread_struct+0x40/0x40
                    [ 677.027131] ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x30
                    [ 677.027140] ---[ end trace c1bc678331cb0efb ]---
                    [ 2584.204721] ------------[ cut here ]------------
                    [ 2584.204724] WARNING: CPU: 4 PID: 762 at /var/lib/dkms/rtl8821ce/v5.5.2_34066.20200325/build/hal/hal_com.c:11447 rtw
                    _lps_state_chk+0x39/0x41 [8821ce]
                    [ 2584.204771] Modules linked in: rfcomm

Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 31, 2021, 10:44 AM.

Comment

While checking the systemd journal (journalctl. -b) I noticed a reference to mdraid in the kernel listing. I did some checking and found
                      /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/mdraid09.mod

2.222261] raid6: avx512x4 gen() 55938 MB/s
                      Checking in the BIOS I found a raid option when was used with Windows, but I wasn't aware that it was in the BIOS and wasn't aware that Win10-11 used it. Regardless, the installation process attempted to make a raid device out of the 1 TB HD. I or the installation process never installed mdraid and checking the mods it turned out that during the kernel install the BIOS was consulted and a failed attempt to create a raid system occurred. "sudo btrfs filesystem usage" shows that Data is single and metadata and system are DUP. No raid is involved with the BTRFS subvolumes.

I've spent most of the day removing unused or unnecessary systemd services, which has reduced my boot up time from 1 min and 50 seconds to 30 seconds. I am also adding software and making configuration changes just to discover if any other surprises await me. When I am comfortable with this install I am going to take the Samsung 500 GB SSD out of my Acer and make it sda in this HP and do the whole installation over again, as a legacy with neither Secure boot nor EFI, avoiding the pitfalls, landmines and alligator swamps.

Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 02, 2022, 09:08 PM.

Comment

claydoh is right about Intel wifi. My HP Envy came with Intel Wireless, uses the iwlwifi driver and "just works" from install to now, a year later. Also, I installed Kubuntu 18.04 LTS with Secure Boot disabled and full UEFI, plus a couple of other BIOS/UEFI adjustments. Simple, clean, stable. It is strange how many different configurations a manufacturer will use in their product lines.
                        The next brick house on the left
                        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                          claydoh is right about Intel wifi. My HP Envy came with Intel Wireless, uses the iwlwifi driver and "just works" from install to now, a year later. Also, I installed Kubuntu 18.04 LTS with Secure Boot disabled and full UEFI, plus a couple of other BIOS/UEFI adjustments. Simple, clean, stable. It is strange how many different configurations a manufacturer will use in their product lines.
                          jglen490, do you have a product id, or sk, or an amazon link to that Intell Wireless? I found this one.

Comment

GG, I didn't buy the Intel wifi as a separate unit, it was built into my HP Envy.

Here's what K20.04 tells me:
                            sudo lshw -c network
                            [sudo] password for john:
                            *-network
                            description: Wireless interface
                            product: Intel Corporation
                            vendor: Intel Corporation
                            physical id: 14.3
                            bus info: pci@0000:00:14.3
                            logical name: wlo1
                            version: 20
                            serial: fc:44:82:a3:c7:c6
                            width: 64 bits
                            clock: 33MHz
                            capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                            configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.11.0-43-generic firmware=59.601f3a
                            66.0 QuZ-a0-hr-b0-59.u ip=192.168.5.84 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
                            resources: iomemory:600-5ff irq:16 memory:6003244000-6003247fff
                            And the service manual says:
                            Integrated wireless local area network (WLAN) with two built-in antenna(s)(s)
                            Support for the following WLAN modules:

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth® 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro MIPI+BRI WW with
                            2 antenna(s)(s)

Intel 9560 ac 2×2 MU-MIMO + Bluetooth 5.0 M.2 non-vPro MIPI+BRI WW with 2 antenna(s)(s)
                            The next brick house on the left
                            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

jglen490, do you have a product id, or sk, or an amazon link to that Intell Wireless? I found this one.
                              https://www.amazon.com/s?k=intel+wif...ref=nb_sb_noss
                              this one is probably a good choice
                              https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireles...s%2C111&sr=8-4

They may be had cheaper on FleabBay, Amazon is quicker.
                              You might need to verify if your laptop for some odd reason uses a half-sized M.2 card, but iirc it will most likely be the standard full size one.

Do remember that the antenna plugs can difficult to line up snap on, at least for me. A magnifier helps, and maybe even very gentle use of some very small needle-nose pliers or forceps. If the mounting surface is flat and stiff/sturdy, a small flat screwdriver should work, if you can line the plugs up.

Comment

Working...
                              X