This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    What makes you think that SDDM is the cause of the black screen?

Kubuntu won't return to LightDM. SDDM is the default display manager for KDE now, and since Kubuntu strives to be as close to KDE's defaults as possible, it'll be the one we use now.
    I never said explicitly that SDDM was the source of this, I'm just saying there have been issues with SDDM and I *feel* it has not been a very well thought out choice. I also didn't say *Kubuntu* was the source of that choice or I would not have said "they" ;-). I never thought Kubuntu would be willing to make such a deviating choice or that it even was possible. Nevertheless it would make an extremely strong signal if you did just that, but I don't know enough about the display manager stack to be able to elucidate.. *I am willing to find out though*. Or at least I am wanting to since I want to be able to debug plasma issues.

Plasma is ionized gas, I think it is funky ;-).
    Last edited by xennex81; May 09, 2015, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Hmm, seems I celebrated too soon. With window type set to override, still getting random disappearances. But less so than with window type set to normal or to conky. Onward and upward.

Comment

So what is this Conky really and is it all that worthwhile? I mean I have checked it out (online) but what do you all do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
          So what is this Conky really and is it all that worthwhile? I mean I have checked it out (online) but what do you all do with it?
          I use it for a always on screen system monitor ................................................

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Right not bad but what do you do with it? Do you always look at it or is it just for show? Or do you use it to catch runaway processes? I just can't fathom needing so much information but I can't admit it doesn't look nice. I'll probably want it at some point. Do you seriously have 16GB of RAM on a work machine? Do you ever use it all?

Looks pretty nice though. Have to admit. What theme are you using?

I couldn't get breeze dark to apply.

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
              Right not bad but what do you do with it? Do you always look at it or is it just for show? Or do you use it to catch runaway processes? I just can't fathom needing so much information but I can't admit it doesn't look nice. I'll probably want it at some point. Do you seriously have 16GB of RAM on a work machine? Do you ever use it all?

Looks pretty nice though. Have to admit. What theme are you using?

I couldn't get breeze dark to apply.
              manly just to see at a glance what is going on ,,,,,if i see the CPU graphs going up I can look to the "top"like output and see what’s eating it up.
              it's nice to have thermal info displayed ,,,,,,,and net activity as well.

if I see / filing up I now it's time to do some house cleaning , removing old kernels,headers,configs ....apt cache .

"Work Machine" ,,,,,,,LOL I work with with my hands ,,,,,this beast is just for fun and no I have never yet seen all the RAM used .......not even close.
              I do a bit of audio/video re-encoding ,,DVD making and the like ,,,so the high end CPU and lots of ram help with the time it takes.

desktop theme is Diamond with dark-translucent window decorations and breeze-dark application colour scheme.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

This is mine. I find it very useful....Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_004.png
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	642859

Comment

Looks better, Tim. What do the numbers at the processes mean, really? Do you not want just percentages of processor used? Is it some kind of load factor? I never understood those. I think network utilisation is very important but top processes also but it can be superfluous information you don't want to see all the time (or you serve the system instead of the system serving you, something that happens with Linux a lot (people serving Linux)).

Comment

Numbers in green are percentage processor, in white percentage memory. Useful because sometimes you get runaway process so easy to identify. Plasma 5, e.g. sometimes has Baloo taking up 100% of processor and needs to be stopped. I suppose sometimes it is overkill, but I like it - and it is tweaked to my specs. After all, we're all different (apart from me, obviously, I'm just the same as everyone else).

Comment

I have nothing to say.

;-).

Comment

Originally posted by timgood View Post
                        Hmm, seems I celebrated too soon. With window type set to override, still getting random disappearances. But less so than with window type set to normal or to conky. Onward and upward.
                        I'm still swearing by 'own_window_type panel'. The only "issue" I have is that when I open yakuake on the monitor that has my conky displayed, it avoids the conky area. Instead of being 90% x 90%, it's more like 50% x 90%. Yakuake still opens properly on the other monitor. Every opther thing (app would be a better term) I open on the monitor that has conky on it opens "properly", including covering conky if that's the way it was when I shut down the application
                        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          @timgood: Use "kdesudo" with kate and you'll be fine. I do this so often, I added an alias "suka" (short for sudo kate) to my alias's so now I just "suka /etc/fstab".

Re. backup options: Not sure what your experience level/tolerance for work is but the btrfs filesystem has built-in backup functions along with snapshots (rollback), RAID, and a bunch of other stuff. Missing is encryption at this point, but if you're game to try something new, you might consider converting to btrfs and trying it out.
                          Is there something diffrent about the way 15.04 installs on a btrfs system? I have a new subvolume named var/lib/machines?

Also, I've been unable to rename the @ and @home subvolumes. Doing so causes a failed boot.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                            Is there something diffrent about the way 15.04 installs on a btrfs system? I have a new subvolume named var/lib/machines?
                            Yes. systemd version 219, included in 15.04, appears to pre-create this. See http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/...9a3cd0083b2251.

Also, I've been unable to rename the @ and @home subvolumes. Doing so causes a failed boot.
                            You would need to -- at a minimum -- update /etc/fstab to reflect your changes. There might be more things to do; I haven't tried renaming these volumes, so I'm not sure of all the places where the names might be referenced.

Comment

Do a forum search on btrfs multibooting and my forum name.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yeah I know how to do it. I change the sub volume names, the mount points in fstab and the kernel lines in grub.cfg

Used to work fine on 14.04. But in 15.04 it throws an initramfs error.

I suspect it has to do with the new subvolume.

Comment

Working...
                                X