Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just so used to "adjusting" everything to my like. That is what seems missing to me. I can't explain the Plasma Crash. Happened only twice here. Though I have crashed, I think, KRUNNER quite a bit. Reported that one to KDE.

EDIT: Yep, KRUNNER.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=346579
    Last edited by MoonRise; May 04, 2015, 06:25 PM.

Comment

We had the same birthing pains when kde3 transitioned to kde4. Gnome just went thru it. Enlightenment is getting ready to go thru it. It's a pain in the ass, but it'll get better.
      I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

True. So true!

Comment

On my laptop and pc there are a lot of annoyances in relation to plasma desktop:
          1. In Dolphin you can't select files anymore with the control button.
          2. Baloo eats all of my system resources. Disable the search is the only possible solution
          3. On logon very frequently i don't get a desktop. The screen remains black
          4. With my laptop with 2 graphic cards almost every install i get two screen support enabled.
          5. A lot of desktop enhancements are not available
          6. Battery consumption is a drag. Mostly 2 hours. Windows 10 is doing much better with 4.30.

Comment

SystemBack Restore for Linux

Here is a great backup tool for Ubuntu and derivatives.http://www.unixmen.com/systemback-re...revious-state/

Systemback: Restore Your Linux System To Previous State

by SK
            Please share

A couple of months ago, we have described an awesome tool that can be used to restore your Linux desktop to the previous working state in Unixmen. In the same series, today I introduce a new tool named systemback.It is an open source, system backup and restore application. Using Systemback, we can easily create backups of system and users configuration files. In case of problems, we can easily restore the previous state of the system. There are extra features like system copying, system installation and Live system creation.Features

Systemback includes the following features:
            • System backup
            • System restore
            • System copy
            • System install
            • Live system create
            • System repair
            • System upgrade

Install Systemback On Ubuntu 14.04 And Previous versions

Currently, Syetmback is available only for ubuntu based systems. On Ubuntu and it’s derivatives, we can easily install it via PPA. Run the following command sequences to install Systemback on your Ubuntu systemsudo add-apt-repository ppa:nemh/systemback
            sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get install systemback

Comment

Some things I have found: Black screen of death is caused by running graphical programs using sudo which causes root to write to .cache and maybe other folders in your home directory. Black screen can be fixed by opening a console (Alt+F2) and changing ownership back to you.

Code:
              [FONT=Ubuntu Mono]sudo chown username:username ~/.cache/*[/FONT]
              So it happened not because of adding entry to fstab, but because I was running Kate with sudo to do it!

Obviously change username to your username!

Thanks for the backup advice, I shall try both Lucky Backup and Systemback.

Re: Conky:

I checked the compositor settings and it was set to OpenGL 2. I have tried both the other settings with no luck, XRender just made the desktop look terrible but conky still misbehaves.

I have filed a bug report for the Kate keyboard shortcuts issue, and a fix is in the pipeline.

Despite the annoyances, I am loving the desktop and it seems to be getting more stable with every update.
              Last edited by timgood; May 07, 2015, 06:31 AM.

Comment

So you used sudo instead of kdesudo?

That is supposed to keep permissions in tact right?

Comment

@timgood: Use "kdesudo" with kate and you'll be fine. I do this so often, I added an alias "suka" (short for sudo kate) to my alias's so now I just "suka /etc/fstab".

Re. backup options: Not sure what your experience level/tolerance for work is but the btrfs filesystem has built-in backup functions along with snapshots (rollback), RAID, and a bunch of other stuff. Missing is encryption at this point, but if you're game to try something new, you might consider converting to btrfs and trying it out.

Please Read Me

Comment

I am certainly using kdesudo now, but they do have this reported as a bug (not by me) and a fix is reportedly in the pipeline.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                      try changing your opengl render type in system settings -> display -> compositor (you may need to re log in for it to change) . i had a similar issue w/ one of my computers when using opengl3.1 mode. switching to opengl 2 fixed the issue for me
                      Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                      Either of those settings causes bad effects with the layout I have. I'd change the GL version but I'm already using v2.
                      You might be able to return to OpenGL 3.1 if you change the OpenGL interface from GLX to EGL. I was seeing some weird flickering artifacts (*) when using 3.1 and GLX. They went away with 2.0 and GLX. Then I tried 3.1 and EGL, and the compositor is now very stable. IIRC, GLX has been on the path to deprecation for some time now.

(*)
                      In the status bar when dragging a window to the top of the screen.
                      In the image painting when using cover switch for Alt+Tab.

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
                        That black screen of death needs to be fixed lol.

I wish they just went back to ****ing LightDM.
                        What makes you think that SDDM is the cause of the black screen?

Kubuntu won't return to LightDM. SDDM is the default display manager for KDE now, and since Kubuntu strives to be as close to KDE's defaults as possible, it'll be the one we use now.

Comment

Originally posted by timgood View Post
                          I am certainly using kdesudo now, but they do have this reported as a bug (not by me) and a fix is reportedly in the pipeline.
                          Fixing the problem with corrupt files in ~/.cache are not going to prevent permission changes on local configuration/data files due to users' running gui programs with sudo instead of kdesudo (or gksu in other *buntus), so continued usage of the latter is recommended

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                            Fixing the problem with corrupt files in ~/.cache are not going to prevent permission changes on local configuration/data files due to users' running gui programs with sudo instead of kdesudo (or gksu in other *buntus), so continued usage of the latter is recommended
                            Theoretically, they could change sudo default configuration to always set the $HOME variable to the target user (implying the "-H" option for sudo), there are multiple ways to do that...such as setting always_set_home in sudoers or modifying env_keep values (either in compile options or in sudoers). That would prevent ownership changes in user's $HOME as it would point to root's $HOME.
                            Last edited by kubicle; May 07, 2015, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                              Theoretically, they could change sudo default configuration to always set the $HOME variable to the target user (implying the "-H" option for sudo), there are multiple ways to do that...such as setting always_set_home in sudoers or modifying env_keep values. That would prevent ownership changes in user's $HOME as it would point to root's $HOME.
                              I wonder why this wasn't/hasn't been done, since it has been this way since the beginning of Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                                I wonder why this wasn't/hasn't been done, since it has been this way since the beginning of Ubuntu.
                                I think that's why they have marked this as a bug and said a fix is on the way. But yes, kdesudo should be used. I seem to remember that it was not installed by default in earlier versions of Kubuntu for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X