Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems to me btrfs creates added complexity you don't want.

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
      That's exactly the complexity I want. It allows me to install multiple OSes to the same partition.

Comment

What is that good for? A LVM even allows you to install multiple OSes in the same partition without requiring a dedicated filesystem to do it.

There is nothing easier than LVM LV creation and it does not really add to complexity (except that there are no visualization tools).

It's the Git kinda complexity that gives headaches.
        Last edited by xennex81; May 11, 2015, 08:44 AM.

Comment

My annoyance for today: Apps not remembering my Activities preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
            Recycling electrons: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?68088

Btrfs has oodles of advantages over other file systems. Note particularly Oshun's examples in his post #24 in that thread.

Comment

Ok. Figured it out. The /var/lib/machines subvolume seems critical. Don't touch it! Just rename @, @home and edit fstab to the new names. Then modify all isntances of @ in /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Comment

Another annoyance with Kate: does not show recently used files once Kate has been closed and re-opened. File/Open Recent is greyed out. Always.

Comment

Originally posted by timgood View Post
                  Another annoyance with Kate: does not show recently used files once Kate has been closed and re-opened. File/Open Recent is greyed out. Always.
                  That information is stored in ~/.local/share/kate/metainfos. Does that file exist, and does your user account have read/write access to the file?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    That information is stored in ~/.local/share/kate/metainfos. Does that file exist, and does your user account have read/write access to the file?
                    I think they are actually in ~/.local/share/RecentDocuments/, and the metainfos contain file-specific settings. I cleared my recents in Kate, and the .desktop files relating to the recent files in my list were removed from there, but not from metainfos.

I was thinking of file or directory permissions problems involving RecentDocuments
                    Last edited by claydoh; May 13, 2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      I think they are actually in ~/.local/share/RecentDocuments/, and the metainfos contain file-specific settings. I cleared my recents in Kate, and the .desktop files relating to the recent files in my list were removed from there, but not from metainfos.
                      Hm. My ~/.local/share/RecentDocuments is empty (*). Each time I open a file in Kate, information about that document is added to metainfos (and also to anonymous.katesession). I wonder if this one of the many under-the-covers changes in Plasma / Frameworks 5?

I was thinking of file or directory permissions problems involving RecentDocuments
                      I was thinking the same, but for ~/.local/share/kate/.

(*) This is a new install, not an upgrade from 14.10

Comment

Actually, RecentDocuments is for things like krunnner and the kmenu's recents. (and they are not removed when clearing kate's recent docs list), so I am in error there.
                        Clearing the recents in Kate does not seem to remove anything from metainfos or anonymous.katesession.

Seems to be the same on my fresh install, and my upgraded-since-raring install.

Oops, I forget that these things are not saved back to config files until program exit, silly me!

anonymous.katesession has the [Recent Files] section way at the bottom, so this is the one to look at.

Comment

anonymous.katesession has the [Recent Files] section way at the bottom, so this is the one to look at.
                          Good find. I actually didn't look closely enough at that file. The word "anonymous" in the name made me think it wasn't all that relevant, heh.

Comment

1. Kate: sudo chown -R $user .local/share/kate does the trick. Again, I think editing fstab using sudo rather than kdesudo changed the permissions in that directory.
                            2. Muon Update Manager - notification icon does not update after updates have been installed. Sits in tray, looking pretty, and saying that updates are available even though they are not. Can only be fixed by logout/login.
                            Last edited by timgood; May 14, 2015, 02:22 AM. Reason: More info...

Comment

2. Muon Update Manager - notification icon does not update after updates have been installed. Sits in tray, looking pretty, and saying that updates are available even though they are not. Can only be fixed by logout/login.
                              Same here, starting a couple of days ago. In addition to not hiding, if it goes red, it stays red even after you update. Sufficiently annoying that I just purged all the notification stuff.

Comment

1. Kate: sudo chown -R $user .local/share/kate does the trick. Again, I think editing fstab using sudo rather than kdesudo changed the permissions in that directory.
                                Yes. Running graphical applications under sudo will often cause such problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X