This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post

I look forward to the time when we can all install Hippo as it is now just over 3 week since the release of Groovy. By comparison, Groovy could be installed 1 week after Focal was released.

Why would this make any sort of significant difference?
    Maybe someone on the small Kubuntu team was on vacation, or their day job got in the way, or there were some minor teething problems from ubuntu migrating to the current (!!!!) Qt
    or has happens between LTS, there has been some new things being started this cycle.

I'll say it at least once per thread: it is quite useless, at least 150% so, in looking at a pre-pre-pre release of *buntu unless one is actually working on it. It is akin to using a computer while someone is actively swapping out parts.

Mid to late December, imnsho.

Btw having the latest Qt is imo quite significant in itself. Ubuntu has usually lagged behind here, but that was mainly for Unity development iirc
    Last edited by claydoh; Nov 17, 2020, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Following my successful installation of Hippo, I have now found that the approach I previously used no longer works. So to me, it seems that this method has been Snookered by the developers.
      I need to apologize to the developers for thinking that they had snookered me by not being able to install 21.04. I was wrong and they had in fact updated the ubiquity version to that for Hippo. So I got caught by the rapid progress they are making.

I have now been able to install Hippo and I found that I needed to use Muon to install extra ubiquity packages. The total number is shown in the graphic below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Muon_21.04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	644927

After doing this, I found that the install icon failed to start the installation. I found that by using Konsole and entering ubiquity, the installation started.

I have now replaced the LTS, Kubuntu 20.04, on my HP Laptop with Hippo, 21.04 and it is working very well. From the schedule it is now about 3.5 months to the start of the testing week. So I am very happy to continue the inspection of Hippo.

Comment

It is not clear if the ISO works out of the box? Did not try it since Nov 5th.

I don't do stable builds.

Comment

... I found that I needed to use Muon to install extra ubiquity packages...
          After doing this, I found that the install icon failed to start the installation. I found that by using Konsole and entering ubiquity, the installation started...
          By installing those packages you enabled the GTK ui, and used that to install. The icon runs the KDE ui, which silently quits a second or so after starting.

Even though it's not using the KDE front end, it still installs Kubuntu, or at least it did for me, and quite quickly too. I normally don't use the icon anyway because I want to give the -b switch, to discourage the installer from messing with the existing grub set-up.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Rufus 3.13 GPT
            Today's build stalls in desktop with no taskbar. Unusable.

Comment

The ISO is not stalling on the real desktop. It is stopping at the try/install screen, where you get only the wallpaper as ubiquity (which does the try/install) is not starting.

You can easily boot to the desktop by removing the 'maybe-ubiquity' command from the boot command in the grub edit menu.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1903378
              On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
                Rufus 3.13 GPT
                From what I can see, rufus is for use on Windows systems to make an installation usb. If you are already on Kubuntu or Ubuntu, you should be using something like usb-creator-kde and make the source, the iso file, and the destination, the usb.

Comment

Looks like most of the ISO issue is that ubiquity needs some fixes to work with the new pyqt5 imported from debian in this release.

Hopefully that can be fixed up within the next week.
                  On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                    Looks like most of the ISO issue is that ubiquity needs some fixes to work with the new pyqt5 imported from debian in this release.

Hopefully that can be fixed up within the next week.

Originally posted by claydoh
                    or there were some minor teething problems from ubuntu migrating to the current (!!!!) Qt

Originally posted by claydoh
                    I'll say it at least once per thread: it is quite useless, at least 150% so, in looking at a pre-pre-pre release of *buntu unless one is actually working on it. It is akin to using a computer while someone is actively swapping out parts.

Mid to late December, imnsho.

So I am not all that far off, lolol

Comment

Well, it is not really to do with new Qt, as pyqt5 is more or less independent. We already had pyqt5 5.15 in groovy, whereas Qt was 5.14.

Remember, the ISO was broken well before Qt 5.15 landed in hirsute.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                        Well, it is not really to do with new Qt, as pyqt5 is more or less independent. We already had pyqt5 5.15 in groovy, whereas Qt was 5.14.

Remember, the ISO was broken well before Qt 5.15 landed in hirsute.
                        I stand corrected but my general point still stands that it is usually too early at this stage for general end-user discussion on pre-release versions [emoji1]

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
                          Rufus 3.13 GPT
                          For the same bootable stick, removing maybe-ubiquity from the bootline allows the installer to boot normally, but it won't launch the installation not even after updating the 32 new packages in Discover.

From the HH Nov 25th installer:
                          Code:
                          cat /proc/cmdline
                          BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/kubuntu.seed quiet splash ---

Operating System: Kubuntu 21.04
                          KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.3
                          KDE Frameworks Version: 5.76.0
                          Qt Version: 5.15.1
                          Kernel Version: 5.8.0-25-generic
                          Same result when trying to launch the installation from the terminal:
                          Code:
                          $ ubiquity kde_ui

Comment

I have not checked the latest build, but I am curious to know what procedures you are using to make your installation disk. I would also like to know what ubiquity packages you install if and when you have a desktop to try.

I must say that I am extremely pleased with the stability of Hippo. I am starting to think that more of the developers are able to spend extra time on it because of Covid-19 restrictions.

Comment

Qt 5.15.2 now landing.

Comment

[QUOTE=NoWorries;442579]... I am curious to know what procedures you are using to make your installation disk...]
                                I'm not sure who you're asking this, I imagine it's not me, but IMO the only reasonable way to check out daily builds frequently is using an iso boot, no installation drive required, unless you intend to test specifically the boot from "installation disk". Even using a USB an iso boot is simpler and quicker.
                                Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                                X