Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I downloaded and installed the Beta yesterday and so far everything is working fine on my Lenovo laptop. Enjoying the new release.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Kubuntu 21.04 Beta

When installing Kubuntu 20.10 the screen displays "Kubuntu" Logo and the status of the DVD file checking, then goes to the Live demo screen.
      When installing Kubuntu 21.04 BETA the screen displays "Kubuntu" Logo but does NOT display the status of the DVD file checking, then hangs without going to the Live demo screen.
      Latest file hirsute-desktop-amd64.iso dated 4/15/2021.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
        On my HP system I have Secure Boot disabled in the BIOS and I never change this setting.
        The other difference is that I use KDE Plasma and NOT Wayland. I have installed Wayland packages to test it out and have found it unsatisfactory. If you boot up with Plasma, or X11, does your system work?
        Same here. I wasn't aware Wayland is available on Kubuntu until I read someones message yesterday saying it works good. Mine works, but some things a very delayed to respond. Yes its fast, but fast doesn't count if others items are delayed.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by gh4wi View Post
          When installing Kubuntu 20.10 the screen displays "Kubuntu" Logo and the status of the DVD file checking, then goes to the Live demo screen.
          When installing Kubuntu 21.04 BETA the screen displays "Kubuntu" Logo but does NOT display the status of the DVD file checking, then hangs without going to the Live demo screen.
          Latest file hirsute-desktop-amd64.iso dated 4/15/2021.
          For this cycle, the installer takes longer to boot or to see try/install Kubuntu. The bootable media file checker was removed in Hirsute Hippo.

All you do is wait. Our average is about a minute for seeing Try Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
            On my HP system I have Secure Boot disabled in the BIOS and I never change this setting.
            If you boot up with Plasma, or X11, does your system work?
            Well, secure boot is another testing components, not always on. Since the wrong updates, 5.12-rc7 works only when disabling secure boot..

Yes for what I do, it works correctly or boots default ok too.

No more delay nor hesitation. There are no packages or cmd line to deal with, it is already there for a few weeks now. Logout to get it at the bottom left.

Same applies for the Gnome 38.5. In Ubuntu HH, Wayland is called Ubuntu, plasma Wayland for Ku.

Still, it is not perfect, but there were big progresses made in Hirsute Hippo. I mean BIG!

Comment

On the eve of the release of Kubuntu 21.04, I find it interesting that Ubuntu 21.04 will use Wayland by default, https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/01/...and-by-default.

I have had problems with Wayland on Kubuntu 21.04, so I do not know what the difference is with Ubuntu that makes them confident to use Wayland by default.

Comment

I think we all can read the "writing on the wall" that Wayland is the way Ubuntu wants us all to go. Making Wayland the default for 21.04 install is a way to increase the Wayland user base (who will then further de-bug the code). Some bumps in the road may be expected.

I've NOT yet made the switch to 21.04. I'm waiting to see if there are any real "deal breakers". I do feel that the rate of change may be a little too fast and I'd prefer a longer development cycle. I'm also likely to be seen as a 'lone voice crying in the wilderness'. At least I still have the choice to NOT upgrade until I decide (this is NOT Windows/Microsoft !!! ).
                Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                  I think we all can read the "writing on the wall" that Wayland is the way Ubuntu wants us all to go. Making Wayland the default for 21.04 install is a way to increase the Wayland user base (who will then further de-bug the code). Some bumps in the road may be expected.
                  Umm....Ubuntu is the one actually lagging behind in this.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylan..._distributions
                  Note that in 17.10, Kubuntu used xorg, while Ubuntu proper was using Wayland as default for that cycle.

Comment

I did not notice that back in 17.10. That might be because I avoid the short term releases?

I just want it to work, while retaining the ability to make my own choice on when to upgrade. I've not run into any problems with Wayland, but I'm also not doing any extensive testing for Wayland specific features.

I also don't run straight Ubuntu itself, but rather the KDE version Kubuntu. Probably not a great deal of difference as far as Wayland is concerned, but again I'm not testing for differences.
                    Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Apr 22, 2021, 09:53 AM.
                    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Impish Indri next door

Great piece of work again!

21.10 code name is already known: Impish Indri.

Wayland offers more security, lets hope more improvements will be made with Impish.

All the best,

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/04/...ename-revealed

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
                        Great piece of work again!

21.10 code name is already known: Impish Indri.

Wayland offers more security, lets hope more improvements will be made with Impish.

All the best,

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/04/...ename-revealed
                        Thanks for the detailed reference. I saw it a couple of days ago without the detail and I wasn't sure if that was the official name.

Lets hope that the Wayland default with Ubuntu 21.04 doesn't cause problems, particularly with those who have UHD monitors. I feel certain that with the 6 months development of 21.10, Wayland will be more reliable and perform better than KDE Plasma. No doubt the Wayland improvements will also be made with 21.04.

One interesting feed I got on Kontact was the message about 21.04 being released. I think the one who made the initial posting got a little carried away in that it was reported that it was an LTS. I have just checked and that error has been removed.

Let's continue to enjoy the progress being made by the developers.

Comment

Working...
                        X