Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enjoy Monitoring Mantic Kubuntu 23.10

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NoWorries
    replied
    The Final Release of Mantic Minotaur


    It is now time for the release of Mantic. So this pre-release site will just be a historical list of the progress of Mantic development. When the Mantic site is listed as a Currently Supported Release, the next version will be the LTS in 24.04. I have enjoyed experiencing the development of Mantic​ from its Lunar origins. The table below shows the development over the past Month
    ​​
    1 Months Ago Mantic Release
    KDE Plasma Version 5.27.7​ 5.27.8
    KDE Frameworks Version 5.110.0​ 5.110.0
    KDE Applications Version 23.08.0​ 23.08.1
    QT Version 5.15.10 5.15.10
    Kernel Version 6.3.0-07-generic 6.5.0.-9-generic

    From the above list you can see that Plasma, Applications and the Kernel Version have all been advanced in the final month of development. Using Wayland for LibreOffice Impress projections still has a white line on the right and bottom edge of the projection screen for Wayland. Also in Wayland, an embedded video is displayed in a reduced size on the control screen and not on the projection screen. For this system to correctly display LO Impress videos on the projection screen, I had to remove libreoffice-kf5. Another application that I have found not working in Wayland is Kazam. Both LibreOffice and Kazam work perfectly when using X11. At least there is a way for me to solve these problems. I do prefer using Wayland because it is so much faster than X11!

    Overall the developers and their supporters have done a great job at bringing Mantic to this level of development.



    ​​

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    I am pleased to report that after the latest updates LibreOffice Impress on both Wayland and X11 does not crash when using ESC to exit a presentation. On both systems LibreOffice returns to the document for further editing or just normal exit.

    The only difference between Wayland and X11 is that, on Impress, a presentation has a white line on the right and bottom edge of the screen for Wayland but no white lines for X11.

    Because of these improvements I have been able to do a presentation on X11. I will wait patiently for the white line problem to be fixed on Wayland as it is over twice as fast as X11 using glmark2 to check performance.

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    I am running Wayland on Debian 12.
    I opened Impress and chose the Debian Template. I modified the prompts and save it. Then I closed Impress, opened Dolphin, and migrated to that saved document. I clicked on it and Impress opened, loaded it and displayed it.
    Everything is working fine.

    Hitting the ESC key did nothing when I had my impress file open.​ No crashes.

    Some KDE menu links stopped working and I had to redo them, and I am assuming it was because of Wayland, but that's just a guess.

    Systemd-analyze gives me:

    $ systemd-analyze
    Startup finished in 3.776s (firmware) + 3.119s (loader) + 3.799s (kernel) + 3.007s (userspace) = 13.703s
    graphical.target reached after 2.997s in userspace.
    jerry@GreyGeek:~$ systemd-analyze blame
    1.491s exim4.service
    658ms man-db.service


    ​I could change exim4 to make it load after the graphic service, which could lower my total boot time to 12.2 seconds but why? All my games and other apps run fine, my Jupyter Notebook & Python code works great, and my system response is very quick.

    The only "problem" I have is that I manually switched to the 6.4 kernel so that I could take advantage of the rtl88x2bu kernel module and not have to use a dkms compile to get the wifi working again. I had to put a hold on the 6.1 kernel updates because the update wanted to remove the 6.4 kernel. Sometime in the future that nonsense will get straightened out.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 27, 2023, 08:36 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    LibreOffice Impress and Wayland are not compatible. When I do a projection using Wayland with Impress and have the related LibreOffice Writer document loaded, I find that when I hit the ESC key on the presentation, both documents exit. When I restart, LibreOffice goes into a recovery mode for both Impress and Writer documents.

    If I restart in X11, I do not go into recovery mode and both files are loaded and behave normally. That is, a projection using Impress, returns to the Impress document and does not exit as it does when I use the Wayland desktop.

    Has anyone else experienced this problem with Wayland and, if so, where should such a "bug" be reported on this eve of the release of Mantic.

    Leave a comment:


  • DavidCoe
    replied
    This is the third Kubuntu release I've started tracking at late-alpha stage and, once again, been very pleasantly surprised at how usable it is! Yes, there are daily updates (sometimes quite large ones - plasma jumped to 5.27.8 over the weekend and the kernel to 6.5.0-5 last night). By and large, these proceed smoothly. So far, none have 'borked' my machines.

    Two nice touches on Mantic. The latest clean install has taken debian-testings's shift to google noto as the default set for the extensive 'non-english' fonts and (hurrah) it can be removed/replaced/tuned without scrambling plasma. Secondly, for the first time in years, the kernel update-initramfs no longer produces that long diagnostic list of missing AMD modules. I don't think it's just cosmetic - things appear more stable/understandable for suspended sessions on my relatively-new Ryzen 5900HX.

    Well done everyone - brava, bravo! Will keep reporting in if anything of note turns up. I run a modest MPI cluster and the Ryzen mini even has one of those nice Coral Edge TPU's on-board so (for my curiosity) new 'things' do get exercised.

    Best regards

    David
    ​

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    I am now enjoying the final month before the release of Mantic Minotaur.



    If you, like me, enjoy updates, you will have been heightened by all the numerous updates and the associated enhancement of Mantic. We are now in the final month of development before Mantic’s released on the 12th October.. The significant advances over the last month are illustrated in the table below.
    ​
    ​
    2 Months to go Penultimate Month
    KDE Plasma Version 5.27.6 5.27.7
    KDE Frameworks Version 5.109.0 5.110.0
    KDE Applications Version 23.04.3 23.08.0
    QT Version 5.15.10 5.15.10
    Kernel Version 6.3.0-07-generic 6.3.0-07-generic

    A month ago I had problems with using staging-frameworks, so I now do not use staging frameworks or staging plasma. From the above list you can see that Plasma, Frameworks and Applications have all been significantly advanced. ​So my ASUS Laptop, which has an NVIDIA card with nouveau drivers, has the same Info Center. Also, my ASUS Laptop with LO Impress for projections has no white line on the right and bottom edge of the screen. So I use it for any presentations that I am required too do.

    My HP Laptop has an AMD video card. For this system to correctly display LO Impress videos on the projection screen, I had to remove LibreOffice-kde5. The only problem being the white line on the bottom and right edge of the projection screen. These white lines are a previously reported LO bug and they claim that it has been fixed. One application that I have found not working in Wayland is Kazam. I have since found that it works very well in X11. Looks like if an application fails in Wayland, I need to check it in X11

    All aspects of the Mantic desktop improvements are great and I am so pleased that I now have Grub-Customizer working on Mantic. I look forward to further refinements by the developers in this final month. Looks like we now have KDE Plasma at version 5.27.8.



    ​
    Last edited by NoWorries; Sep 12, 2023, 11:05 PM. Reason: Kazam works in X11 but not in Wayland

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    ​

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    How I Installed Grub Customizer on Mantic.




    I firstly downloaded the latest build by:
    Code:
    wget https://launchpadlibrarian.net/570407966/grub-customizer_5.1.0-3build1_amd64.deb
    I then removed all the characters in the deb image name such as - and _ by preceding then with \

    After this change QApt Package Manager would install the package. I then found that Grub Customizer was in the System list and would run. An example of the menu that I have on Mantic is shown in the graphic below.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Grub_Customizer1.png Views:	30 Size:	764.7 KB ID:	673738

    I much prefer this layout to one with a tiny list of options on a black screen which is what I get with my UHD screen. Having this capability also allows me to try other distributions on my Lunar partition.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NoWorries; Sep 12, 2023, 01:34 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • claydoh
    replied
    But you don't need to actually run or install the OS to find out what is (or isn't) there. By then, it sort of becomes obvious if you don't have Libreoffice ot thunderbird.......
    Simpler to download and open a text file, hit ctrl-f, and type thunder, libreo or something

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    Originally posted by claydoh View Post
    The manifest file, located in the same directory as each iso image also lists all the actual packages that make up the ISO's OS image. For example, this is the current daily ISO's list.

    Fun fact: the 'minimal' option in the installer actually is a similar but small list, used to uninstall software from the live image after it has been copied to the drive. So, the minimal option takes longer to install.
    The site manifest site lists every nut and bolt installed by Mantic. Post Gnome reference:

    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2023/09/...inimal-mistake,

    basically referred to application files and the list that I gave was only for the application files. This was to show that Kubuntu 23.10, by comparison, has all the basic applications required for testing the system capabilities by an inquisitive user.

    Leave a comment:


  • oshunluvr
    replied
    Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    Unfortunately, I am not convinced about the advantages of rollbacks as it would take up more disk space. I cannot see any advantage in btrfs formatting for the root partition as the partitions for Linux distributions always give access t previous kernels to boot with if problems arise. I am quite happy to have my Home partitions formatted as btrfs.

    ~~~

    As you can see the btrfs on both Root partitions works if you only have one Linux distribution on your system. However if you have more than one, the last installed Linux distribution is only seen and accessible. From the table above, having one with btrfs and the other with ext4 does not work very well. The access to multiple Linux distributions with the old world formatting works only when both Root systems ext4 formatted.
    Rolling back would allow a return to any previous snapshot, which one can do at any time, like just before doing "sudo apt full-upgrade". Rolling back takes about 5 seconds and a reboot. I can think of no place more suited for the use of rolling back than when testing a pre-released distro.

    Snapshots take ZERO drive data space unless and until changes are made to the source subvolume. For example, if you snapshot a root subvolume prior to an update, then update, the snapshot consumes the amount of the update - but only what was removed during the update and no more. Deleting the snapshot restores the free space. If drive space is of concern, one can simply snapshot prior to updating, update, and reboot. If all is well, the delete the snapshot immediately.

    I keep a weeks worth of daily snapshots. To illustrate this point, I measured the drive space each of my 7 snapshots reported as used and subtracted the amount the previous snapshot contained to get an idea of how much space is actually consumed by having 7 snapshots. My full install uses 31.06GB and the additional amount of 7 daily snapshots is 1.79GB. This does include two new programs I installed this week that account for 1.89GB of newly used space and a removal that freed 166MB. So seven snapshots consume an amount roughly equal to 5.7% (assuming my logic and math are correct, of course). On days where no new programs was added or previously installed programs removed, the space used varies from 2 to 30MB.

    As to booting multiple installs, last I checked os-prober does not detect BTRFS installs outside the one os-prober is running on. This does make easily booting multiple installs when using BTRFS a problem. My solution is to use 40_custom entries that simply read the grub menu from other installs, whether on the same BTRFS file system or another. This works very well and has the added benefit of not requiring multiple updates of grub to keep up with kernel changes.

    However, obviously what you are doing works for you and since you see no need to be able to roll back from a failed upgrade there's no reason for you to change to BTRFS.

    Leave a comment:


  • claydoh
    replied
    The manifest file, located in the same directory as each iso image also lists all the actual packages that make up the ISO's OS image. For example, this is the current daily ISO's list.

    Fun fact: the 'minimal' option in the installer actually is a similar but small list, used to uninstall software from the live image after it has been copied to the drive. So, the minimal option takes longer to install.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    On my system, I have a Lunar iso file which is 4.6 GiB and a Mantic iso file which is 3.9GiB. To prove what files are to be installed, I got the latest Mantic iso and did a trial desktop and used the console to enter the command
    Code:
    sudo ls /usr/applications | sed s/.desktop// - > installed-apps.txt
    . The file from this approach I have divided into two parts because of the number of entries. The first is:

    org.fre.impl.portal.desktop.kde.desktop
    org.fre.Xwayland.desktop
    org.kde.ark
    org.kde.bluedevilsendfile
    org.kde.bluedevilwizard
    org.kde.ConfigurePrinter
    org.kde.discover.apt.urlhandler
    org.kde.discover
    org.kde.discover.notifier
    org.kde.discover.snap
    org.kde.discover.urlhandler
    org.kde.dolphin
    org.kde.drkonqi.coredump.gui
    org.kde.drkonqi
    org.kde.elisa
    org.kde.gwenview
    org.kde.gwenview_importer
    org.kde.haruna
    org.kde.kate
    org.kde.kcalc
    org.kde.kcolorschemeeditor
    org.kde.kde-add-printer
    org.kde.kdeconnect.app
    org.kde.kdeconnect.daemon
    org.kde.kdeconnect.handler
    org.kde.kdeconnect.nonplasma
    org.kde.kdeconnect_open
    org.kde.kdeconnect-settings
    org.kde.kdeconnect.sms
    org.kde.kded5
    org.kde.kdialog
    org.kde.keditbookmarks
    org.kde.keditfiletype
    org.kde.kfontview
    org.kde.khelpcenter
    org.kde.kinfocenter
    org.kde.klipper
    org.kde.kmahjongg
    org.kde.kmenuedit
    org.kde.kmines
    org.kde.knetattach
    org.kde.knewstuff-dialog
    org.kde.konsole
    org.kde.konversation
    org.kde.kpat
    org.kde.krdc
    org.kde.ksudoku
    org.kde.ksystemlog
    org.kde.ktorrent
    org.kde.kwalletd5
    org.kde.kwalletmanager5
    org.kde.kwin_rules_dialog
    org.kde.mobile.okular_chm
    org.kde.mobile.okular_djvu
    org.kde.mobile.okular_epub
    org.kde.mobile.okular_md
    org.kde.mobile.okular_tiff
    org.kde.okular
    org.kde.partitionmanager
    org.kde.plasma.browser_integration.host
    org.kde.plasma.emojier
    org.kde.plasma.settings.open
    org.kde.plasmashell
    org.kde.plasma-systemmonitor
    org.kde.plasmawindowed
    org.kde.polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1
    org.kde.PrintQueue
    org.kde.skanlite
    org.kde.spectacle
    org.kde.systemmonitor
    pavucontrol-qt
    python3.11
    qapt-deb-installer
    qwant-maps-geo-handler
    signon-ui
    snap-handle-link
    software-properties-drivers-lxqt
    software-properties-lxqt
    software-properties-qt
    systemsettings
    thunderbird
    usb-creator-kde
    vim
    wheelmap-geo-handler
    xdg-portal-gtk.desktop
    ​
    and the second part is:

    apport-kde
    apport-kde-mime
    breezestyleconfig
    defaults.list
    geoclue-demo-agent
    google-maps-geo-handler
    hplj1020
    im-config
    info
    io.snapcraft.SessionAgent
    kcm_about-distro
    kcm_access
    kcm_activities
    kcm_audiocd
    kcm_autostart
    kcm_baloofile
    kcm_bluetooth
    kcm_bolt
    kcm_breezedecoration
    kcm_clock
    kcm_colors
    kcm_componentchooser
    kcm_cursortheme
    kcmpaths.desktop
    kcm_feedback
    kcm_filetypes
    kcm_firewall
    kcm_fontinst
    kcm_fonts
    kcm_icons
    kcm_joystick
    kcm_kaccounts
    kcm_kamera
    kcm_kdeconnect
    kcm_kded
    kcm_keyboard
    kcm_keys
    kcm_krunnersettings
    kcm_kscreen
    kcm_kwindecoration
    kcm_kwin_effects
    kcm_kwinoptions
    kcm_kwinrules
    kcm_kwin_scripts
    kcm_kwintabbox
    kcm_kwin_virtuas.desktop
    kcm_kwinxwayland
    kcm_landingpage
    kcm_lookandfeel
    kcm_mouse
    kcm_networkmanagement
    kcm_nightcolor
    kcm_notifications
    kcm_plasmasearch
    kcm_powerdevilactivitiesconfig
    kcm_powerdevilglobalconfig
    kcm_powerdevilprofilesconfig
    kcm_printer_manager
    kcm_pulseaudio
    kcm_qtquicksettings
    kcm_recentFiles
    kcm_regionandlang
    kcm_screenlocker
    kcm_sddm
    kcm_smserver
    kcm_solid_actions
    kcmspellchecking
    kcm_splashscreen
    kcm_style
    kcm_tablet
    kcm_touchpad
    kcm_touchscreen
    kcm_trash
    kcm_updates
    kcm_users
    kcm_virtualkeyboard
    kcm_workspace
    kde4
    kde-mimeapps.list
    kdesystemsettings
    kde_wacom_tabletfinder
    ktelnetservice5
    kwalletmanager5-kwalletd
    kwincompositing
    libreoffice-calc
    libreoffice-draw
    libreoffice-impress
    libreoffice-math
    libreoffice-startcenter
    libreoffice-writer
    libreoffice-xsltfilter
    mimeinfo.cache
    okularApplication_chm
    okularApplication_comicbook
    okularApplication_djvu
    okularApplication_dvi
    okularApplication_epub
    okularApplication_fax
    okularApplication_fb
    okularApplication_ghostview
    okularApplication_kimgio
    okularApplication_md
    okularApplication_mobi
    okularApplication_pdf
    okularApplication_plucker
    okularApplication_tiff
    okularApplication_txt
    okularApplication_xps
    openstreetmap-geo-handler​
    So with this list, a new user gets a very good idea of Mantic's capabilities.

    Leave a comment:


  • notabug
    replied
    Thanks claydoh. I've only tried Ubuntu a few times, but I've never really liked Gnome.

    Leave a comment:


  • claydoh
    replied
    No one has talked about this from Kubuntu, as far as I have seen.

    Ubuntu's set of software included on a default install has no real effect on what Kubuntu chooses, other than trying to keep to a specific ISO image size.
    Kubuntu isn't using the new installer. so there is no need to modify things anyway.

    Fun fact: Libreoffice uses 1Gb of space on the OS image, for example
    (This is how much it uses when installed, not the size of the compressed packages used to install it)

    Code:
    $ sudo apt install libreoffice libreoffice-kf5
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    .
    .
    .
    0 upgraded, 117 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 258 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 983 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    But, for Ubuntu as I read it, they are still revamping their default list, and have open discussion on it.
    ​
    Of course being non-LTS, things are in a sense 'experimental' in prep for ther next LTS. The new install is/was to potentially add a section for selecting additional software to download and install.
    Again, no bearing on Kubuntu here at all, not until they create new installer for the "Flavours".

    Leave a comment:

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X