Thank you.
Perhaps you could also provide the KDE Gear version in the future (as shown in e.g. "About Dolphin")?
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Enjoy Monitoring Mantic Kubuntu 23.10
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
It is now 5 months to go before the release of Mantic Minotaur.
For those who have succeeded with the installation and testing of Mantic, you may have a similar summary of System Information as shown in the table below.
5 Months to go KDE Plasma Version 5.27.5 KDE Frameworks Version 5.104.0 KDE Applications Version 22.12.3 QT Version 5.15.8 Kernel Version 6.2.0-21-generic
For this System Info I use Pre-released and Unsupported updates. I am also using the non-standard repositories:
If you use these repositories on Lunar, you will find that it has the same versions with the exception of the Kernel, which is 6.2.0-20-generic. At this stage, these proposed repositories make very little difference to Mantic.Code:sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-plasma sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks
This similarity with Lunar and the systematic development of Mantic by the developers, allows me to use Mantic 100% of the time
. I eagerly look forward to the progress by the developers in the next month.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Finally got a version change today
, ie
mesa-utils (9.0.0-1) over (8.5.0-1) ...
mesa-utils-bin:amd64 (9.0.0-1) over (8.5.0-1) ...
And I am looking forward to seeing more in the coming days.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Not significant, so much as security-patched, as there is no version change.Originally posted by NoWorries View Postthe package less on Lunar is 590-1.2 and on Mantic is 590-2
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changel...90-2/changelog
Maybe, it depends on the specific project. Mediainfo seems to release quite regularly at the moment but that may not be the case long-term. The actual changes or features may not be huge (ie- I have no idea on this oneOriginally posted by NoWorries View Postmediainfo is 22.12-1 and Mantic is 23.04
)
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changel...04-1/changelog
https://github.com/MediaArea/MediaInfo/releases
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks for the clarification. Today was the first day for about a week, that I had updates to Lunar.
From what you say, the package less on Lunar is 590-1.2 and on Mantic is 590-2, while mediainfo is 22.12-1 and Mantic is 23.04. So are these significant updates for Mantic?
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
My usual point is that at this stage, the core OS is still Kinetic, and that Kubuntu are still some time away from beginning work themselves.
Once they have enough infrastructure in place to build kernels and other actual OS components, the race is on
As to versions, almost all the packages you list are just rebuilds of the existing ones:
ibus 1.5.28-4 vs 1.5.28-4, for example.
The version is 1.5.28 in both. The difference here is just the build number (-4), a patch or configuration edit to fix a compiling issue in Debian. This package is directly imported from Debian, and not something that will actually be packaged by Ubuntu, so it may be a bad example.
You can spot non-Ubuntu-built packages as they lack an 'ubuntu' or something somewhere in the build number. Debian keep things to a single character, like "-4". Ubuntu have longer strings there.
And of course some things just have different versioning schemes just to confuse everyone.
Like the kernel.
Actually much of these are Debian packages, being imported into the Mantic channel. Which is the stage things are at, at the moment.
But tl;dr: anything before the dash (or the third dot in some cases), is the version number, while anything to the right is normally build number or similar.Last edited by claydoh; May 08, 2023, 07:17 AM.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
I find that there are updates 7 days a week, so the developers are not sitting on their hands but are beavering away. To give you some idea of the recent developments, I have the following comparison between recent package updates for Mantic and their status on Lunar.
As you can see the updates vary between minor and significant. This is very early days and it is good to see progress so farPackage Mantic Lunar ibus 1.5.28-4 1.5.28-3 ibus-data 1.5.28-4 1.5.28-3 libibus-1.0-5 " " python3-ibus-1.0 " " gir1.2-ibus-1.0
ibus-gtk
ibus-gtk3
ibus-gtk4"
"
"
""
"
"
"libsoup-3.0-common 3.4.1-1 3.4.0-1 libatk-wrapper-java 0.40.0-3 0.40.0-2 libatk-wrapper-java-jni " " libnspr4 2:4.35-1.1 2:4.35-1 libnss3 2:3.89-2 2:3.87.1-1 mediainfo 23.04-1 22.12-1 libgnutls30 3.7.9-2 3.7.8-5 less 590-2 590-1.2 
I decided to use Mantic for LibreOffice Impress projection and it worked very well. Particularly, after I found a way to get rid of the white lines on right and bottom edge of the projection screen. If anyone is interested as how I did this please let me know. My impression is that very few use LO Impress for projection as I don't see anyone reporting problems in this area.Last edited by NoWorries; May 07, 2023, 08:01 PM.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Because everything is still 23.04 at this stage, or mostly is, until they actually merge enough stuff from Debian.Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View PostInteresting that they don't already use Frameworks 5.105 …
I believe that basically the things needed to build infrastructure stuff are set up at this stage, so there isn't much if anything that has been changed from 23.04 yet. Same kernels etc.
Kubuntu won't actually start doing any packaging for 23.10 for a bit still, usually until that part is done, or at least partially stable in terms of package building.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Interesting that they don't already use Frameworks 5.105 …
I am looking forward to your reports.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Enjoy Monitoring Mantic Kubuntu 23.10
The first preliminary release of Kubuntu 23.10 is now available at:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/
I have just downloaded and installed it on My Laptop in a partition that was originally used by Kubuntu 22.10. I no longer use my Asus Laptop for testing new releases as it only has an NVIDIA card and it does not cope with an external monitor and Wayland.
The Info Centre is:
I am looking forward to progress by developers over the next 5 months or more. I hope the adventurous at heat will also participate in the monitoring of Mantic
Tags: None
- Top
- Bottom
- Likes 1
Users Viewing This Topic
Collapse
There are 0 users viewing this topic.
Leave a comment: