Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enjoy Monitoring Mantic Kubuntu 23.10

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • claydoh
    replied
    On a less negative note, when the heck are they gonna finally update the kernel here, lololol!

    Yes, I am impatient. I meed the more current kernel in hopes it supports my Ryzen 5 based Chromebook, which is difficult to get working sound on before later 6.2.x.
    No, the 6.2.0 in Lunar and soon to be in Jammy don't work.

    Fedora as a desktop OS is a bit clunky, even for me, among other things.

    Leave a comment:


  • claydoh
    replied
    Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    I include non standard repositories:
    The staging PPAs are purely places where they stash in-progress builds so that all packages have been built successfully before being pushed out to regular, or even testing or beta PPAs as a whole. So that they all work together.

    I will say it every time, but this is a completely useless addon in a dev release of Kubuntu. It adds unnecessary and valueless complexity to one's apt dependency database, and quite literally adds zero benefit, unless one likes incomplete package sets.

    It doesn't provide pre-release software, but pre-release and testing packages of regular software.

    Staging is only slightly less useless on a normal release.

    Please, folks. Take this into account if you are thinking of adding the Staging PPAs.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    It is now 4 months to go before the release of Mantic Minotaur.

    This last month we would have experienced many Mantic updates to keep advancing past the previous equilibrium with Lunar. Mantic has been an incredibly stable distribution at this very early stage of development and a real credit to the ability of the developers.


    The Mantic’s advances over the lsat month are illustrated in the table below.
    5 Months to go 4 Months to go
    KDE Plasma Version 5.27.5 5.27.5
    KDE Frameworks Version 5.104.0 5.107.0
    KDE Applications Version 22.12.3 23.04.2
    QT Version 5.15.8 5.15.9
    Kernel Version 6.2.0-21-generic 6.2.0-21-generic

    For this System Info I still use Pre-released and Unsupported updates, For better or worse. I include non standard repositories:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-plasma
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks
    With these two I only found that I had an early release of KDE Frameworks 5.107, but this version has recently been updated in the standard repositories.

    No doubt many of us are looking forward to the release of KDE Plasma 6 in the next six months or so. At least the advances in Frameworks and QT versions are getting ready for this to happen.


    Once again congratulations to the developers on a job well done!

    ​

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    For some time now I have wanted to install grub-customizer so that I could have Kubuntu listed instead of Ubuntu in my boot menu. I also wanted to arrange my boot list to have Mantic, Luna and Windows 10 in the right order with a suitable background image.

    I found out how to do this at:
    https://www.vivaolinux.com.br/dica/I...no-Ubuntu-2204

    and it involves doing the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt install gdebi-core
    wget https://launchpadlibrarian.net/570407966/grub-customizer_5.1.0-3build1_amd64.deb
    sudo gdebi grub-customizer*
    I have done this on Mantic and it works fine. It also will work on Lunar.

    As I am not an expert in grub menus, I hope you find this as useful as I did ​
    Last edited by NoWorries; Jul 05, 2023, 03:18 PM. Reason: Changing gdebi to gdebi-core reduces significantly the number of gnome packages

    Leave a comment:


  • claydoh
    replied
    Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    So I have just purged all NVIDIA packages from my system and now I am back to basics with a working external monitor and await some notification of a solution to the NVIDIA drive problems.
    So, the improving open-source stock Nouveau drivers are working well overall, or are there issues with these? I wonder if there is any reason to even bother with the proprietary driver at all in this case.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    Thanks for your reply. I have spent some considerable time following advice by those who claim to have a solution on older systems but totally fail on Mantic.

    So I have just purged all NVIDIA packages from my system and now I am back to basics with a working external monitor and await some notification of a solution to the NVIDIA drive problems.

    Leave a comment:


  • claydoh
    replied
    Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    Thanks very much for your knowledgeable update. Do you have the NVIDIA driver working with an external monitor on your system? For me it works well on my laptop, but does not recognise my external monitor.
    No, I haven't used Nvidia in many years now as I don't like the constant tweaking and other hassles. I did consider getting one recently, but the cost for a card equal to or better than my current AMD graphics is still significantly higher.


    But being a dev release, and the kernel still being Lunar's 6.2, I imagine things should get sorted eventually once they move to a newer one and hammer it into shape.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    Thanks very much for your knowledgeable update. Do you have the NVIDIA driver working with an external monitor on your system? For me it works well on my laptop, but does not recognise my external monitor.

    Leave a comment:


  • claydoh
    replied
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1467...-lunar-lobster

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...0/+bug/2019869
    (there are other similar ones in recent months where things have been patched to work. Seems common for this)

    Looks like they are working on patching 390 to force it into submission?
    And/or kernel work itself hasn't begun, as Mantic will have a much more current kernel. It seems that 390 drivers have needed custom patching to work in recent kernels the past few years, so I wonder if support will end for this driver in the near future.
    Last edited by claydoh; Jun 06, 2023, 02:40 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Schwarzer Kater
    replied
    Sorry to disappoint - I sold my last Nvidia graphics card several months ago and I am not planning to buy Nvidia ever again if I can avoid it (I have some computers with Linux I do service for that do have Nvidia cards - no laptops among them, though. And certainly nobody who would install Mantic… ).

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    At least the developers got it right.

    I assume that you have a NVIDIA graphics video card and you have successfully connected it to an external monitor.

    Leave a comment:


  • Schwarzer Kater
    replied
    The only thing I can tell you is that 390-driver is the last one to officially support the GeForce GT 630M according to Nvidia.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    I decided to install Mantic on my Asus R501VM Core i7 3610QM Laptop which I bought in December 2012. It has a Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB video card.

    The installation went well and the Nvidia 390 driver was installed. On reboot, the system hung. I then went into recovery mode to install bumblebee-nvidia and successfully rebooted and got a desktop. Bumblebee was not installed with the Nvidia 390 driver installation.

    The only remaining problem is that my external monitor is not connected. If I purge all Nvidia packages and remove bumblebee, the external monitor works and is quite usable. I did try other NVIDIA drivers such as 470 and they did not solve the problem with my external monitor.

    I have not been able to find a way to get the external monitor to work with the NVIDIA driver. Does anyone have a solution to this problem without having to somehow update my NVIDIA card hardware?​ I assume that I am not the only one who has tried using Mantic with a NVIDIA card and I would like to know if your external monitor works?

    Leave a comment:


  • Schwarzer Kater
    replied
    KDE Gear (also known as the KDE Applications Bundle or KDE Applications) includes Dolphin (and many other "core" programs like Konsole, Spectacle, Okular, …).

    Whenever I want to know the KDE Gear version I usually open something like Dolphin and look at its version in the -> hamburger menu -> Help -> About Dolphin.
    This version number equals the KDE Gear version number.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 16, 2023, 03:00 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
    Thank you.
    Perhaps you could also provide the KDE Gear version in the future (as shown in e.g. "About Dolphin")?
    I maybe a bit dumb, but I cannot find KDE Gear or "About Dolphin" anywhere on my system. Perhaps you could give more details on where to find this item.

    Leave a comment:

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X