Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enjoy Monitoring Mantic Kubuntu 23.10

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • notabug
    replied
    NoWorries, I've been watching your thread out of interest. Today, I ran across an article on omgubuntu.co.uk I Think Ubuntu 23.10 is Making a Mistake… saying that the release of Ubuntu 23.10 won't come with the usual assortment of applications most Linux users are accustomed to. So far, I don't see where you or anyone else has mentioned the same for Kubuntu 23.10. I'm using Kubuntu 23.04, so I expect what I have already installed to be carried forward as usual. Your thoughts on this....

    ​

    Leave a comment:


  • cookiemuncher
    replied
    Originally posted by jlittle View Post

    Why don't you want to run with rEFInd?
    Just wondering where the problem might be. OOPS 23.10 and not 13.10 LOL.
    I'll do the the regular updates and hopefully the problem will disappear before October.

    Leave a comment:


  • jlittle
    replied
    Originally posted by cookiemuncher View Post
    I then installed rEFInd and am able to dual boot as before.
    Why don't you want to run with rEFInd?

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    I assume that you mean 23.10 and not the 10 year old version 13.10. If you are using 23.10, I hope you have success in overcoming your problems with an external drive. It is a shame that grub-customizer is not available for Mantic but it is available for Lunar and I use it for getting a workable grub menu with Mantic, Lunar and Windows.

    Leave a comment:


  • cookiemuncher
    replied
    Yesterday installed Kubuntu 23.10 on an SSD (previously dual booted Peppermint from it without issues).

    I initially removed my Windows 11 drive. Booting into the 23.10 presented no problems at all. The problems started when I connected the Windows 11 drive. 'update-grub' detected the Windows 11 install and was added to the GRUB boot menu, but that is all it does as I get a blue screen with reports of errors and needing repairs, etc. from MS. Tried a few things (clearing mobo UEFI keys, etc) but fails each reboot. Secure boot is disabled.

    I then installed rEFInd and am able to dual boot as before.
    Do I wait for a few days/weeks and try again with the normal dual booting? Do I try Xubuntu 23.10 or Ubuntu 23.10?

    Code:
    chris@kubuntu-2310:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4c53 (rev 01)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4c01 (rev 01)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-H USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 xHCI Host Controller (rev 11)
    00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-H Shared SRAM (rev 11)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-H Management Engine Interface (rev 11)
    00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device 43d2 (rev 11)
    00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 43b2 (rev 11)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation H510 LPC/eSPI Controller (rev 11)
    00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-H HD Audio Controller (rev 11)
    00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-H SMBus Controller (rev 11)
    00:1f.5 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-H SPI Controller (rev 11)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
    Last edited by cookiemuncher; Aug 31, 2023, 10:20 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    I have been frustrated for some weeks now in that, when I do updates that include staging-frameworks, the solution is to remove 42 packages which are listed in my previous post above. There is also a long list of packages that are no longer required.

    Of the packages that need to be upgrade to get Frameworks 5.109 on my ASUS Laptop, I found the culprit files that, when I install with
    Code:
    sudo apt update; sudo apt dist-upgrade
    ​my kubuntu-desktop, plasma-desktop as well as other important files will be removed. This problem only occurs with a NVIDIA graphics card using nouveau drivers. HP Laptop with an AMD graphics card has no problems

    I laboriously installed all files for 5.109 which did not threaten to remove important files. Listed below are those files, which with Muon, would remove important files and I will not install.

    Code:
    libkf5texteditor-bin
    libkf5parts-data
    libkf5krosscore5
    libkf5khtml-data
    libkf5kdelibs4support-data
    ktexteditor-data
    For each day that I do updates and I now also open the file that contains the above list and only install those packages which are not on this list.​
    I just hope that the developers can find the reason for these files causing me problems.

    ​
    Last edited by NoWorries; Aug 17, 2023, 04:14 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    It is now 2 months to go before the release of Mantic Minotaur.





    Mantic updates still continue to improve the reliability of the system. It is now only 2 months before its released. Mantic continues to be very stable. The advances over the last month are illustrated in the table below.
    ​
    ​
    3 Months to go 2 Months to go
    KDE Plasma Version 5.27.6 5.27.6
    KDE Frameworks Version 5.109.0 5.109.0
    KDE Applications Version 23.04.3 23.04.3
    QT Version 5.15.10 5.15.10
    Kernel Version 6.3.0-07-generic 6.3.0-07-generic

    In the list above, I have the Frameworks version at 5.109 on my HP Laptop. This is because I use the ppa for staging-frameworks. About a week ago, I found that using this frameworks option led to my ASUS Laptop not working because the desktop files had been removed amongst other legitimate packages. With my Mantic desktop restored, I added the ppa for staging-frameworks to illustrate what packages are removed if you approve, ie,
    Code:
    The following packages will be REMOVED
    akregator apport-kde ark dolphin gwenview kaddressbook kate kde-cli-tools keditbookmarks khelpcenter
    khotkeys kinfocenter knotes konsole konsole-kpart kontact konversation korganizer kross kscreen
    ktexteditor-katepart ktorrent kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-settings-desktop libkf5kdelibs4support5
    libkf5kdelibs4support5-bin libkf5khtml-bin libkf5khtml5 libkf5krossui5 libkf5parts-plugins libkf5parts5
    libkf5texteditor5 libkpim5kontactinterface5 muon okular okular-extra-backends plasma-dataengines-addons
    plasma-desktop plasma-wallpapers-addons plasma-widgets-addons plasma-workspace plasma-workspace-wayland
    sddm-theme-breeze
    ​So my ASUS Laptop, which has an NVIDIA card with nouveau drivers, still has Frameworks Version 5.108. Also, this Laptop with LO Impress for projections has no white line on the right and bottom edge of the screen. So I use it for any presentations that I am required too do.

    My HP Laptop has an AMD video card. When I use the Wayland desktop, LO Impress has a reduced size projection overlayed on the control screen. The auxiliary monitor for projections is blank in this case. For the X11 desktop, all is well with the only problem being the white line on the bottom and right edge of the projection screen. These white lines are a previously reported LO bug.

    All other aspects of the Mantic desktop improvements are great and I look forward to further improvements over months ahead.



    ​
    Last edited by NoWorries; Aug 14, 2023, 05:19 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    For some days now I have been dealing with what amounted to unexpected Wayland related messages. The first message that I got, told me to use:

    System Settings > Input Devices > Virtual Keyboard and select IBus Wayland. After doing this I got the message.

    IBus Notificatioin

    Please unset QT_IM_MODULE and GTK_IM_MODULE environment variables and 'ibus-daemon --panel disable' should be executed as a child process of ibus-ui-gtk3 component.
    ​
    I must admit that this is beyond my capability to do. If anyone on this forum has any suggestion as to how to do what it says, I would be very grateful. In the meantime I will assume that this is a software bug.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    Originally posted by claydoh View Post
    Yes, muon isn't really being maintained, not for ages. Note that the last release for this was in 2018. Any "dev" work done are packaging tweaks so that it builds and installs correctly, etc, and probably language edits. There has been no change in the actual code in over 5 years.
    The is always Synaptic.
    Thanks for the reminder that the developers are able to get Muon to work over the past 5 years. I have been encouraged by the fact that on Lunar, Muon works without fault. So I am expecting it to also work correctly on Mantic in time..

    Leave a comment:


  • claydoh
    replied
    Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
    At least it is already part of the changelog on Lauchpad:
    "Provide a compatibility symlink so Muon can still launch software-properties.​"
    I still find it humorous that instead of editing the code to look for software-properties-qt instead of the old software-prperties-kde, they used the 'hack' of a symlink.
    This is still just a packaging tweak. Albeit probably the best choice for a fix.

    Leave a comment:


  • Schwarzer Kater
    replied
    Originally posted by claydoh View Post
    […]
    This bug likely will be fixed --assuming that people report it on the bug trackers in case they don't notice (hint hint nudge nudge)[…]
    At least it is already part of the changelog on Lauchpad:
    "Provide a compatibility symlink so Muon can still launch software-properties.​"

    Leave a comment:


  • claydoh
    replied
    Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    When I go to Settings > Configure Software Sources, enter the required password and then select Other Software, the only listing on this is cdrom(Kubuntu 23.10 . . . . .

    I would like to see the other packages listed so that, if I want to remove any, I can do so very easily. I just hope this is not too much to ask at this stage.
    Note that Software Sources is not actually part of Muon, but a separate applet, also accessible from Discover, and shared with Lubuntu. iirc it also accessible from Synaptic as well. The package is software-properties-qt, and is a brother to the same exact python program used in Ubuntu.
    This bug likely will be fixed --assuming that people report it on the bug trackers in case they don't notice (hint hint nudge nudge)


    Yes, muon isn't really being maintained, not for ages. Note that the last release for this was in 2018. Any "dev" work done are packaging tweaks so that it builds and installs correctly, etc, and probably language edits. There has been no change in the actual code in over 5 years.
    The is always Synaptic.

    Leave a comment:


  • Schwarzer Kater
    replied
    You are right - they seem to work on Muon there from time to time (but it seems to have been in a kind of "maintenance mode" for some time now and I wouldn't rely on it…): https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...5.8.0-2ubuntu1

    Leave a comment:


  • NoWorries
    replied
    Maybe Launchpad may have some say in further bug fixing. I think this site is encouraging: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/muon

    Leave a comment:


  • Schwarzer Kater
    replied
    I don't think that Muon is developed anymore ("Archived project!"): https://invent.kde.org/system/muon

    Leave a comment:

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X