Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Open in Firefox, using the new moz-plasma PPA, uses the KDE dialog, and works perfectly. Maybe time for a re-install with the new Beta iso.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
      As Claydoh pointed ( https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post367640 ) the XScreenSaver is there.

A good one: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XScreenSaver

Installing: xscreensaver xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl-extra

Starting the xscreensaver.

Configuring the xscreensaver.

Adding the lock command to the KDE energy savings.

...and shaving the screen...

( the clock is Karamba clock - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...p?61798-Clocks )

Seems to work...
      Thanks very very much for showing how to use screensavers on Vivid. I am quite keen on screensavers, even though I am retired and us my computers in a home environment, which does not require screen locking.

I had previously found the xscreensaver packages and installed them but found no way to invoke them until your post. The screen savers that I use are:

xscreensaver, xscreensaver-data, xscreensaver-data-extra, xscreensaver-gl and xscreensaver-gl-extra.

I found that by running xscreensaver I was able to remove the screensavers that were not implemented and also those that I did not care for.

One essential feature with screensavers is to be able to stop them and restart them. This is required for applications such as Skype, watching a DVD, doing a presentation in public, or looking online at video files all of which can last in excess of 30 minutes. Having a screensaver interrupt is most annoying. Therefore, I have been looking at ways to Stop and Continue the screensaver. This can be done with the commands:
      Code:
      :~$ killall -s STOP xscreensaver
      :~$ killall -s CONT xscreensaver
      I edited the applications and added in Graphics two new items "Screen Saver Stop" and "Screen Saver Continue" with the appropriate command in each item. I have a side panel with applications that I use frequently and added these two new items to the bottom of the list. My desktop is shown in the attached image. (Please note that the image on my desktop changes every 5 minutes and uses a directory that contains my photos and others which I consider significant.)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	642763

I hope this is useful to those who want to use screensavers. I would also be very interested if anyone has a more elegant way to stop and continue screensavers
      Last edited by NoWorries; Feb 27, 2015, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I appreciat all of what it does in the background...

don't like "metro" / "by any other name"

but like the guts.

woodlikesgutssmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
          1. More and improved Widgets are needed. For example, the analogue clock does not provide the addition of multiple time zones. Also,the widgets on the desktop have their options bar always on the right side. This limits the right edge extremities for locating widgets and oddly enough, even the left edge side movement is limited.

Desktop widgets can be moved all the way over to the right despite the fact that the grab handle seems to be only available on the right side now.

Note that some plasma themes may have a padding built in, the Breeze Dark theme looks to have this, but the Doomsday theme used here does not, allowing the widget to go right to the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Glad to see that the dolphin icon on panel is fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
              Glad to see that the dolphin icon on panel is fixed!
              never new that it was broken - that icon on my desktop panel is a Folder View widget.Never had an issue placing or using dolphin on my panel on my Kodi box.

Comment

never new that it was broken - that icon on my desktop panel is a Folder View widget.Never had an issue placing or using dolphin on my panel on my Kodi box.
                Nice video!

But take a look at my panel. It's Kmenu, Dolphin, Firefox and Konsole, as it was at KDE 4.14.x. But icons for Dolphin (Folder view uses the same icon) and Konsole are broken... or is it only here?
                Attached Files

Comment

Could be the combo of icon theme and plasma theme.

Comment

Ya know..............I just love that avatar! lol..............from a guy who sat in many such a chair!

woodgotthatphoneonmyear24/7teachincollegesmoke......
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Can anybody confirm: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=344600
                      By default, network manager 'remembers' my WEP connection and password, but does not automagically connect every re-boot.
                      Instead, I have to 'remind' it to connect.

Comment

Desktop widgets can be moved all the way over to the right despite the fact that the grab handle seems to be only available on the right side now.

Note that some plasma themes may have a padding built in, the Breeze Dark theme looks to have this, but the Doomsday theme used here does not, allowing the widget to go right to the edge.
                        I noticed that in your example the padding enclosed the widget. However, I have found, that for a circular clock, a rectangular padding box surrounds it. To illustrate this, I tried to use RecordMyDesktop however it did not work properly. In the end, I had to use my webcam and cheese. The resultant cropped image is shown here.Click image for larger version

Name:	Clock1.jpg
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	642787

So until the developers realize that a circle should be enclosed by a SQUARE BOX and NOT A RECTANGLE, I will be stuck with a clock that cannot be placed close to the edge.

Comment

Could be the combo of icon theme and plasma theme.
                          But I'm using the default Breeze...
                          For plasma theme is Breeze Dark, but Breeze displays the same icons for Dolphin and Konsole.

Comment

Originally posted by mparillo View Post
                            Can anybody confirm: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=344600
                            By default, network manager 'remembers' my WEP connection and password, but does not automagically connect every re-boot.
                            Instead, I have to 'remind' it to connect.
                            I don't use wireless that often, but this sounds familiar -- when I would enable wifi it would not connect automatically. However, I just enabled wifi in NM and it did connect immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                              I noticed that in your example the padding enclosed the widget. However, I have found, that for a circular clock, a rectangular padding box surrounds it. To illustrate this, I tried to use RecordMyDesktop however it did not work properly. In the end, I had to use my webcam and cheese. The resultant cropped image is shown here.[ATTACH=CONFIG]5881[/ATTACH]

So until the developers realize that a circle should be enclosed by a SQUARE BOX and NOT A RECTANGLE, I will be stuck with a clock that cannot be placed close to the edge.
                              I wonder if it is theme related. Some of them theme the clock, systray icons and other things, some do not have specific mods to these.

Here, using Breeze dark again, you can see there is a (mostly) square box around the clock. Can't butt it completely up to the edge but I can get it pretty close.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot4.png
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	642788

Comment

I find it interesting how the box shape changes with the Desktop Theme. I found that some of the themes resulted in the icons becoming invisible. The themes that I had best results from were Air and Oxygen. Both or these gave squarer boxes similar to yours. I have decided to stick with Air as it gives the best compromise for my colour preferences.

I would be interested to know what package you are using to record your desktop. I am having a lot of trouble with RecordMyDesktop as it breaks the image of any moving parts of the desktop. I am not sure if this is because I have Vivid on a USB 3 Flash Drive. I have stacks of processing power and 15 GiB of RAM so that is not the limitation. I also got RecordMyDesktop to use a working directory on my SSD that I have Utopic on. Hence I am interested to know what package you use.

Thanks in anticipation

Comment

Working...
                                X