Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinny: from what I can tell, Ubiquity leaves those two directories behind after a btrfs install. I don't know why. I've had no issues by just deleting them after install is complete.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, Vin; here's my ssd currently:
      Code:
      drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  348 Feb 16 11:56 @Kubuntu_14_04
      drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   48 Jan 25 16:21 @Kubuntu_14_04_home
      drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  274 Jan 27 11:56 @Kubuntu_14_10_plasma5
      drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   32 Jan 25 16:21 @Kubuntu_14_10_plasma5_home
      drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1168 Feb  4 14:09 snapshots
      Once I do an install to a btrfs filesystem, I simply rename the "@" and @home" subvolumes, edit the boot.cfg and fstab, and boot into the install. Then run update-grub to "fix" grub correctly. Then it's on to the nest install!

The really cool thing about this is all your free space is available to any and all of your subvolumes. No more guessing how large a partition should be or free space sitting idle and unusable. It's really ultimate for the smaller storage devices like SSDs.

Please Read Me

Comment

step-2 create btrfs sub snap @snap of @ and boot to it ...........

Code:
         vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/usr/share/man$ sudo btrfs sub list -a /mnt/btrfs
        ID 693 gen 2525 top level 5 path @data
        ID 764 gen 4442 top level 5 path @
        ID 765 gen 4438 top level 5 path @home

vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/usr/share/man$ sudo btrfs sub snap /mnt/btrfs/@ /mnt/btrfs/@snap
        Create a snapshot of '/mnt/btrfs/@' in '/mnt/btrfs/@snap'

vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/usr/share/man$ sudo btrfs sub list -a /mnt/btrfs
        ID 693 gen 2525 top level 5 path @data
        ID 764 gen 4443 top level 5 path @
        ID 765 gen 4438 top level 5 path @home
        ID 773 gen 4443 top level 5 path[COLOR=#ff0000] @snap[/COLOR]
        well , that was easy ,,,,,,,,, seams to easy ,, was almost instant,,,, lets see if we can boot to it ....

Hummmm edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom to show /@snap insted of /@

Code:
        menuentry "Netrunner" {
        insmod gzio
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod btrfs
        set root='(hd1,gpt1)'
        configfile[COLOR=#ff0000] /@snap[/COLOR]/boot/grub/grub.cfg
        }
        @hear the btrfs partition is mounted at boot to /mnt/btrfs ,,,,, it's where all my ~/ directories live ..........So I go to
        /mnt/btrfs/@snap/etc/fstab ,,,,,and again change @ to @snap

Code:
        # / was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
        UUID=030aba53-b498-4ff5-9e41-80699f3e2c02 /               btrfs   defaults,subvol=[COLOR=#ff0000]@snap[/COLOR] 0       1
        # /home was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
        UUID=030aba53-b498-4ff5-9e41-80699f3e2c02 /home           btrfs   defaults,subvol=@home 0       2
        # swap was on /dev/sda2 during installation
        UUID=aeb8718b-d4a7-4d21-9584-425071e6c6ba none            swap    sw              0       0
        then we go to /mnt/btrfs/@snap/boot/grub/grub.cfg and again instances of @ to @snap

Code:
        menuentry 'Netrunner 15 (Prometheus) - 64Bit' --class netrunner --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-030aba53-b498-4ff5-9e41-80699f3e2c02' {
            recordfail
            load_video
            gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
            insmod gzio
            insmod part_gpt
            insmod btrfs
            set root='hd1,gpt1'
            if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
              search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,gpt1 --hint-efi=hd1,gpt1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,gpt1  030aba53-b498-4ff5-9e41-80699f3e2c02
            else
              search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 030aba53-b498-4ff5-9e41-80699f3e2c02
            fi
            linux    [COLOR=#ff0000]/@snap[/COLOR]/boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-30-generic root=UUID=030aba53-b498-4ff5-9e41-80699f3e2c02 ro rootflags=subvol=[COLOR=#ff0000]@snap[/COLOR]  quiet splash $vt_handoff
            initrd    [COLOR=#ff0000]/@snap[/COLOR]/boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-30-generic
        }

well that was fun

lets try it

Code:
        sudo update-grub
        reboot....................... Ubuntu's grub > select entry to chain load Kubuntu-14.04's grub > (that is where all the fun above happened <> select the netrunner entry we made >................................................. ....

we made it

Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ mount
        [COLOR=#ff0000]/dev/sdb1 on / type btrfs (rw,subvol=@snap)[/COLOR]
        proc on /proc type proc (rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid)
        sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid)
        none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,uid=0,gid=0,mode=0755,size=1024)
        none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
        none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
        none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
        udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
        devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
        tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
        none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid,size=5242880)
        none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
        none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid,size=104857600,mode=0755)
        none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
        [COLOR=#ff0000]/dev/sdb1 on /home type btrfs (rw,subvol=@home)[/COLOR]
        binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid)
        systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,noexec,nodev,none,name=systemd)
        well it's the same .......if did not know I as running in a snapshot you could not tell .

So tomorrow the beheading ,,,,,,,, we will be filming the execution ,,,,,, but I expect it to be very anti climatic , I'm thinking we will have a wallpaper with no input possible until we rescue key it or just kill the power .

I will be taking requests for how we want the restoration to go ,,,,,,,,,,,,and perhaps even negotiations will be entertained on the method of execution.

if no requests have been made by Saterday February 21 6:00PM EST-USA the execution will take place as stated with the removal of /bin from it's bowels wile running,,,,,, ,,,done in @ then mv-ing @snap to @ ...................................... that is all.

⚗VINNY⚗
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Seven minutes until the beheading! *licks chops*

Comment

GreyGeek *munching popcorn* has taken his seat and the time is now precisely 6PM EST.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

sorry ,,,,,,life got in the way .....

uploading vid's to youtube now ......... be back soon .

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Steve's chops are chapped, and I am out of popcorn!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

OK so after some unexpected delays........................ the coverage.

we boot to /dev/sdb1/@ and execute the death warrant.

as expected it was very anti climatic ,,,,,,,,,it seems more of the system works outside of /bin than in the old slackware 8-9 days it was of course quite broken without /bin ,,,,,,,but more still worked than expected .

trying to "rm" / after "rm-ing" /bin did not work as now their is no "rm" to use .

the Vid is hard to watch ,,,,,apparently I cant hold a flipvid still and aimed well enuff to be a reporter (next time I'll set up a stand so I have both hand to type with LOL),,,, and I forgot to "narrate" ..........(I was tired and being rushed by the Queen)

if watched in full screen and at a high resolution you can make out what is going on .

had to kill with the magic keys as the shutdown options would not work and a restart of course would not boot up ,,,,just got stuck hear.................

OK now ,,,,,,,,,,, will @snap be usable in place of @ ............

we boot back to Kubuntu-14.04 and .....

Code:
                  vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/btrfs$ sudo btrfs sub list -a /mnt/btrfs
                  [sudo] password for vinny:                                                                                                  
                  ID 693 gen 4473 top level 5 path @data                                                                                      
                  ID 764 gen 4692 top level 5 path @                                                                                          
                  ID 765 gen 4689 top level 5 path @home                                                                                      
                  ID 773 gen 4668 top level 5 path @snap                      

vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/btrfs$ sudo mv @ @.old                                                                      

vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/btrfs$ sudo mv @snap @       

vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/btrfs$ sudo btrfs sub list -a /mnt/btrfs                                                    
                  ID 693 gen 4473 top level 5 path @data                                                                                      
                  ID 764 gen 4692 top level 5 path @.old                                                                                      
                  ID 765 gen 4689 top level 5 path @home                                                                                      
                  ID 773 gen 4668 top level 5 path @
                  Well that was easy ,,,,,,,,,will it work?

reboot > black screen> nothing .....stuck,,,,,,,,,,,,, O wate ....... we had edited the the @snap/boot/grub/grub.cfg & @snap/etc/fstab to point to @snap ,,,,that did not change when we renamed it to @ ,,,,,,,,,,,re edit both to point to @
                  re-boot to @ ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

SUCCESS ,,,,,,,, we have netrunner .

Code:
                  vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ findmnt
                  TARGET                       SOURCE      FSTYPE      OPTIONS
                  [COLOR=#ff0000]/                            /dev/sdb1[/@][/COLOR]
                                                           btrfs       rw,relatime,space_cache
                  ├─/sys                       sysfs       sysfs       rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
                  │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup           none        tmpfs       rw,relatime,size=4k,mode=755
                  │ │ └─/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd systemd     cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/run/cgmanager/
                  │ ├─/sys/fs/fuse/connections none        fusectl     rw,relatime
                  │ ├─/sys/kernel/debug        none        debugfs     rw,relatime
                  │ ├─/sys/kernel/security     none        securityfs  rw,relatime
                  │ └─/sys/fs/pstore           none        pstore      rw,relatime
                  ├─/proc                      proc        proc        rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
                  │ └─/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
                  ├─/dev                       udev        devtmpfs    rw,relatime,size=8173872k,nr_inodes=2043468,mode=7  55
                  │ └─/dev/pts                 devpts      devpts      rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=  000
                  ├─/run                       tmpfs       tmpfs       rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=1638328k,mode=755
                  │ ├─/run/lock                none        tmpfs       rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k
                  │ ├─/run/shm                 none        tmpfs       rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime
                  │ └─/run/user                none        tmpfs       rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=102400k,mode=  755
                  └─/home                      /dev/sdb1[/@home]
                                                           btrfs       rw,relatime,space_cache

all in all rather easy to recover the system after catastrophic failure if you have an alternate OS to do the work in or a live media to work from.

VINNY

PS this was all posted , vid's uploaded ect,ect,,, from the recovered netrunner
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Neat!
                    Lots of fun, wasn't it!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      Neat!
                      Lots of fun, wasn't it!
                      yes ,,,,,,,yes it was .

now I am customizing netrunner some ,,,,,,,taking a new @snap ,,,,,,,,, and pulling out the big gun ,,,,,,,,removing / from the running system .......

and seeing if I still have a customized netrunner ,,,,,,,,,,,but of course I will .

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Welcome to btrfs, VINNY, you'll love it (even if you never notice it!)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          Welcome to btrfs, VINNY, you'll love it (even if you never notice it!)
                          I realy like not having to partition for a install and all the space on the drive being available to all on the drive ,,,,,,no guessing at partition sizes.

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                            I realy like not having to partition for a install and all the space on the drive being available to all on the drive ,,,,,,no guessing at partition sizes.

VINNY
                            One of my favorite features as well. All free space available wherever you want it and no wasted space. Plus - no formatting or re-partitioning, ever.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                            X