Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use your "super"/Windows key for?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    Hey, I recognize the building in your left screen shot!

Before anyone goes Googling, what do you think it is:
    1. museum
    2. space port
    3. library
    4. bus station
    I've not "googled" it but I think it is a bus station (actually I don't "google" much these days, I "duckduckgo" things instead.

Comment

D ? Seems I've seen that somewhere before on TV or something.

Comment

Eh, I was hoping someone would say "space port"

It's the main library downtown, part of the Seattle Public Library system. Most of the interior is a single continuous spiral floor. The place is sooper cool.

Comment

Wow! It's a real building? Fantastic, I thought it couldn't be real. It's a very interesting design.

The wallpaper was downloaded randomly by Wally (KDE4 Wallpaper changer).
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Yeah, I couldn't do "Space Station" because of the location. I figured if you knew it that handily it was likely in Seattle. No way are they launching rockets in that weather!

Couldn't do "Bus Station" either. I've been to bus stations and I couldn't imagine the GreyHound crowd in there.

So that left only Museum and Library. The street signs were the final clue: Spring and 4th.

The interior sounds sort of like the Guggenheim in Manhattan. The continuous spiral is a neat way to wander through a museum. Not sure about searching the Dewey Decimal system on one though!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
              Wow! It's a real building? Fantastic, I thought it couldn't be real. It's a very interesting design.
              Yep, very real. The architect discusses its design in a Ted talk.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              No way are they launching rockets in that weather! ... The continuous spiral is a neat way to wander through a museum. Not sure about searching the Dewey Decimal system on one though!
              Hey, we have a very nice summer here: August 30-31.

It's surprisingly easy to navigate the space. They've even color-coded the various major Dewey Decimal blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                So that left only Museum and Library. The street signs were the final clue: Spring and 4th.
                Cou'd you explain the this "clue" to non US citizens?

Comment

oshunluver had alread deduced that the location of the building was "most likely" in Seattle, so googling on seattle spring street and 4th avenue brings up a Google Map of that locale, and on the map is Seattle Public Library - Central Library and clicking on it shows you the building.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    oshunluver had alread deduced that the location of the building was "most likely" in Seattle, so googling on seattle spring street and 4th avenue brings up a Google Map of that locale, and on the map is Seattle Public Library - Central Library and clicking on it shows you the building.
                    Bingo! I read the street signs in the photo. I didn't reply earlier because I cheated

Please Read Me

Comment

That's actually the corner at Spring St. and 5th Ave. (The Spring and 4th vantage point isn't quite so dramatic.)

See that tall white building behind the utility pole on the left? It's the Bank of America building. Regus, an office space rental firm, owns the top two floors, 41 and 42. Riverbed will soon be leasing a six-person office on the 42nd floor. Yay, can't wait! Working from home alone is really quite boring. We have a nicely growing contingent of folks, including two of us in the CTO office. We intend to develop an engineering team up here; the goal is to attract talent graduating from University of Washington.

Here is what I'll get to look at out the window every day:

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                        We intend to develop an engineering team up here; the goal is to attract talent graduating from University of Washington.
                        That can be read at least two ways!
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          The purpose of my question was to see if the US had some form of special planning laws that certain buildings were situated on certain streets.

With Mr Riley asking us to play along with his guessing game and asking us not to use Google to search I assumed that oshunluvr would play along but I was wrong, this little game I think proves that Mr Oshunluvr does not like playing by the rules.

(the above comment is tongue in cheek)

Comment

Working...
                          X