Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use your "super"/Windows key for?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you use your "super"/Windows key for?

Right then gang,

I feel like my Windows key isn't being put to good use. What do you use yours for, and why?

On a side note, if anyone owns a 3D printer, they could make a lot of people happy with a 3D printed KDE/GNU/Linux logo replacement for the Windows key!
    samhobbs.co.uk

A constant reminder of how lucky I am to be using Linux/Kubuntu...
    A spare key cap in case one is lost (this has happened!).
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I use mine for several shortcuts ("Super/Win" key seems to be the "Meta" key in Kubuntu):

Meta+E (Desktop Grid effect)

Meta+Tab (switch activities)

Meta+LeftCtrl+S (Sleep)
      Last edited by Rod J; May 29, 2014, 08:45 PM.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
        I feel like my Windows key isn't being put to good use. What do you use yours for, and why?
        A place to rest my left pinkie, because sometimes it gets tired.

Comment

Enyes and umlauts and more, oh my.

I know almost no Spanish, but learned the hard way that if you can't put the enye in año, don't use that word.

Comment

Meta + E to open up Dolphin. That way when The Wife uses my computer, the same shortcut that she uses to open up Windows Explorer will also open up Dolphin.

Comment

Meta + L to lock the system like ehuhmmm... Windows. Always liked that combo.

Comment

Not a meta combination, but my favorite one at the end of the day is Shift+Ctrl+Alt+PgDn. A wonderful four-finger salute! Be sure to save all your work.

Comment

Windows Key? What's that?
                  Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions, sensible and otherwise...

Rod, are those activities just different desktops for different tasks? I've never really experimented with those features of KDE, although I remember seeing a screenshot of a cube with lots of desktops on it, looked like a nice way to switch between them.
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Kinda waste of the key's super-ness, but on a couple of projects with a lot of coding and need for easy to reach function keys, I used xmodmap to map the windows and menu keys to F17 and F18, then my editor could see and use them.

Regards, John Little
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                          Thank you all for your suggestions, sensible and otherwise...

Rod, are those activities just different desktops for different tasks? I've never really experimented with those features of KDE, although I remember seeing a screenshot of a cube with lots of desktops on it, looked like a nice way to switch between them.
                          I make minimal use of "activities" and only have two set up: my "Regular" desktop and another one specifically for "Games". The Games activity has shortcuts to games on the desktop and different plasma widgets on it. Both activities have four virtual desktops.

I forgot that I also use (seldomly, I use the mouse usually) Meta+Left Arrow (or Right Arrow) to switch between my four desktops (in the current activity).

These are screenshots of my "Regular" and "Games" activities:
                          Attached Files
                          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Thanks!

I really need to do some research, I thought that activities and desktops were the same thing!

Seems like the kind of thing that could be really useful if you get the hang of it.
                            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                              These are screenshots of my "Regular" and "Games" activities:
                              Hey, I recognize the building in your left screen shot!

Before anyone goes Googling, what do you think it is:
                              1. museum
                              2. space port
                              3. library
                              4. bus station

Comment

Working...
                              X