Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to disable the 30 second countdown of any departure from the logout screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ineuw View Post
    The logout screen with the choices disappears but the delay is still at least 30 seconds.
    and then

I changed the timeout in the file to "timeout: 0," but that didn't help.
    And then, (not surprisingly)
    KShutdown is identical to the system reboot shutdown .
    Originally posted by kc1di View Post
    unless the op defines further what he looking at we can't really know for sure
    Agreed. That is partly why I pinged them,. by quoting them

Still, the issue is not going to be related to the shutdown/reboot action and options in System Settings we keep repeating at him

Comment

That situation was relayed at post #4, and could be a valid concern about the stability of the OP's system. Still, the 30 send rule applies regardless of what remains on the screen. I saw that there was a recommendation to configure a lower number that 30 for the shutdown process, and "0" may not be a valid solution, but "1" or "2" might be
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thank you all for the help and comments.

My apologies, I must not have set up properly my forum account, because I expected a notification.

I work in GUI and use the Favorites' menu options to log out / restart / shutdown. These selections brings me to a log out screen with a 30 second countdown. I was hoping that I can disable this countdown and execute my choice immediately. There is nothing active when I shut down, though Firefox may be open on occasion, but inactive.

I read the reddit post, found the file, and changed the setting from timeout: 30​ to timeout: 0 and also tried just timeout: But the countdown remains.

Then, I did a text search with grep and looked for "timeout: 30" and "timeout:" and saved the search output in a text file but found nothing relevant.

The question is, the time spent on trying to find the cause versus a fresh installation.

Comment

If it used to work correctly before now, then a re-install is warranted. If this is the only issue, and everything else including any ability to click on the GUI shutdown screen works as expected, then I would leave it alone and just click something on the screen. You will spend more time tracing down this configuration, or error, than it nay be worth. Unless you really enjoy the LTS track, but a re-install is a better solution for you, then it may be worth moving on the the next Kubuntu version.

I'm one of those kind of guys who really loves LTS, does not dual boot anything, does not mess with anything that is not broken, and is careful about introducing new software; but I do have a couple of PPAs. Consequently, I have (almost) zero issues with my current installation. It runs smooth as butter on a hot biscuit, but I am looking forward to a clean install of 24.04 LTS when it show up - more than likely 24.04.1.

[EDIT]: Also, it is Snap and Flatpak free.
          Last edited by jglen490; Sep 12, 2023, 05:48 PM.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

I'll be clear about myself 😊
            Simply:

The Application Launcher button (it used to be called the K button or something).
            Click it.
            At the bottom of the pop-up, click Restart or Shutdown.
            Either one gives you the same choices, on mine:
            Sleep -- Restart -- Shutdown -- Logout
            One of those will be highlighted.
            If you like the highlighted one, click the OK button and it will happen immediately.
            If you don't like the highlighted one, click another choice, then click OK, and that choice will happen immediately.

You can do all this very quickly, like within, say 2-3 seconds, 4-5 seconds at most.​

(or have I misunderstood the issue?)
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              I'll be clear about myself 😊
              Simply:

The Application Launcher button (it used to be called the K button or something).
              Click it.
              At the bottom of the pop-up, click Restart or Shutdown.
              Either one gives you the same choices, on mine:
              Sleep -- Restart -- Shutdown -- Logout
              One of those will be highlighted.
              If you like the highlighted one, click the OK button and it will happen immediately.
              If you don't like the highlighted one, click another choice, then click OK, and that choice will happen immediately.

You can do all this very quickly, like within, say 2-3 seconds, 4-5 seconds at most.​

(or have I misunderstood the issue?)
              You understood the issue 100% - I take the exactly same steps and it's definitely broken. All options remain open for 30 seconds. I am preparing to reinstall it now.

Comment

• Qqmike
                Qqmike commented
                Editing a comment
                Of course, we will be curious to hear your results.

You understood the issue 100% - I take the exactly same steps and it's definitely broken. All options remain open for 30 seconds. I am preparing to reinstall it now.
              That suggests systemd is waiting for something, maybe a timeout.

You might see it if you see the shutdown messages. I suppose the right journalctl incantation might reveal what's happening, but if you are using grub I suggest turning on boot messages by editing /etc/default/grub. (A copy before you edit might be good.) Remove the words "quiet splash" from the lines that have them, or comment out those lines by adding a "#' at the beginning. For example,
              Code:
              #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
              then run sudo update-grub. I think this will only affect the shutdown after the next startup. The result is ugly and frightening for some users, but I like to see the messages.

On my work laptop for a long while I was getting something like "a stop job is running for c3". It was uninformative at first, for a year or so, because it didn't say what c3 was. Really annoying, especially if I wanted to unplug and pack up the laptop.

But then an update made the message more informative, then with another update it stopped happening. Some of the timeouts can be controlled by dropping a file in /etc/systemd/system.conf.d. But I found some can't.

A reinstall might help, but it might be a hardware interaction that will just come back.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

The problem was the Irixium https://store.kde.org/p/1457778/ theme. Its (SDDM) login component kills the timing mechanism. Once installed, the damage is not repairable (by me), and the function is not restored after removing the packages.

I will report this to the developer, he helped me previously to resolve a graphics issue with the same package.
                ​​
                The problem found following a fresh install. I created a backup after the updates, After each of the two tests the counter is damaged and must I must restore the backup.

The out of the box logout works as it should, even after changing the countdown to 0. The original confusion is gone, although the countdown screen is confusing with its dual buttons.

Comment

Once installed, the damage is not repairable (by me), and the function is not restored after removing the packages.
                  Make sure you not only remove the Global Theme, but also the specific SDDM theme it also installs, if you haven't done this already.
                  Removing the Global theme doesn't remove any of its individual components.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Make sure you not only remove the Global Theme, but also the specific SDDM theme it also installs, if you haven't done this already.
                    Removing the Global theme doesn't remove any of its individual components.
                    I meant after everything was removed.

Comment

It's been 10 days since I started this thread, and finally found the problem. It is a conflict between themes, and I won't bore anyone with the details, but want to close the topic, and report the bug on the relevant site. Telling me where, would be much appreciated.

Comment

I don't think a theme conflict rises to the level of a bug when you're modifying a feature of Plasma at this level.

However, Ubuntu bugs are reported/tracked on Launchpad. This should guide you.

If it were me, I'd probably comment to the theme creators(s) about it. I doubt you'll get much traction from Ubuntu.

As far as "closing" the topic, we don't normally do that unless there is some reason to and at this point I seen no reason to close it. You can, if you wish, scroll up to your first post and edit it, select "Solved" or "Resolved" or whatever seems appropriate to you.

Please Read Me

Comment

Unfortunately, this is a problem, because I removed the following files from the .config folder and the problem was corrected for awhile. Some time later, without any attempt of another theme related installation, it broke again. It breaks simply by repeated reboots. Aren't there logs that would indicate the issue?

The suggestion of removing the .config files came from the developer of the Irixium theme, which I tried first, and to whom I reported it first, thinking it was the theme.

Is this a software problem? A hardware incompatibility with the graphics? My inexperience is willing to consider any solution, for the sake of saving future time. I want to use Autokey-qt to understand and test problems in the Kubuntu environment versus Linux Mint Cinnamon Autokey-gtk. The two are different, have different problems

Unfortunately, I am hitting a different wall with every new installation attempt. I became an expert in installing and grub management of multiple boot Linux drives, but using Kubuntu eludes me.

Also attached, are some of the screenshots taken (and missed taking many others), pointing to the constant problem of trying to add another theme, any theme from the highest rated.

Code:
                          kactivitymanagerd-statsrc
                          kactivitymanagerdrc
                          kateschemarc
                          kcminputrc
                          kconf_updaterc
                          kded_device_automounterrc
                          kdeglobals
                          keditbookmarksrc
                          kfontinstuirc
                          kglobalshortcutsrc
                          khelpcenterrc
                          kiorc
                          kmixrc
                          konsolerc
                          korgacrc
                          krunnerrc
                          kscreenlockerrc
                          kservicemenurc
                          ksmserverrc
                          ksplashrc
                          ktimezonedrc
                          kwalletrc
                          kwinrc
                          kwinrulesrc
                          kxkbrc
                          Attached Files

Comment

The cause was found and I created a bug report. The reboot command has two modes. The 30 second delay for the standard "reboot" command, and "sudo reboot now" is the required command.

The bug is not assigning the required group rights and causes permission errors everywhere. There were several clues to the problem with app components not working due to this error. When I tried installing themes I failed, https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...-backend-error. geany is one of the affected apps that I noticed. The system theme colors and icons are displayed only with "sudo" permissions, otherwise the interface looks like the interior of an ancient Egyptian tomb.

Comment

Working...
                            X