Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to disable the 30 second countdown of any departure from the logout screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] How to disable the 30 second countdown of any departure from the logout screen?

Using Kubuntu 22.04.3, I earched the subject before posting this, but I found nothing relevant. I don't want to use terminal commands.
    Last edited by ineuw; Sep 08, 2023, 07:35 PM.

Settings > Startup & Shutdown > Desktop Session, uncheck Show Logout Screen.
    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
      Much thanks, I qualify my ignorance by claiming too many options and too little time spent on them.

Comment

Unfortunately, this is wrong as well. The logout screen with the choices disappears but the delay is still at least 30 seconds.

Comment

Umm, mine shuts down immediately. Try this but change 30 to whatever you want:

https://old.reddit.com/r/linuxquesti...time_from_the/
          Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I really appreciate your taking the time to help me.

I changed the timeout in the file to "timeout: 0," but that didn't help. So, the chase is on. . . Because I don't want to type into the terminal every time I want to reboot, I installed Kshutdown and will let you know what happens.

Comment

KShutdown is identical to the system reboot shutdown . . etc., It does not override the 30 second delay, which means that my installation needs repair?

Comment

Umm, mine shuts down immediately. Try this but change 30 to whatever you want:

https://old.reddit.com/r/linuxquesti...time_from_the/
                This one works for me. I change 30 to 10 but you can go lower.

Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by ineuw View Post
                  Unfortunately, this is wrong as well. The logout screen with the choices disappears but the delay is still at least 30 seconds.
                  Is the delay on the desktop, while it is still running, or after that has stopped? The setting everyone is talking about here is just the default timeout if you select 'logout' or 'leave', and do not click on one of the options presented to you.

If after the desktop closes. then there is something going on, or things that you have on your system need to be shut down safely before you can reboot, or maybe some USB drives or devices attached that might cause this?
                  If so, try hitting <esc> to see what is happening in the background.

Comment

Using Kubuntu 22.04.3, I earched the subject before posting this, but I found nothing relevant. I don't want to use terminal commands.
                    What is your objection to these? If it is the complexity and learning curve, ok. But if it is preferring the convenience of the GUI...

Terminal commands can set up in a menu, where they can get a shortcut assigned, and can be added to a panel, or the desktop. I suspend using a shortcut, and it happens nearly instantly.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

On occasion, I get impatient with the 30 second count down, so I just hit the OK button or the shutdown icon. Down it goes, right then and there.
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                        On occasion, I get impatient with the 30 second count down, so I just hit the OK button or the shutdown icon. Down it goes, right then and there.
                        The space bar is a big target, and I can hit it reliably while getting up out of a chair.
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

I click "OK" and the timer stops and the PC shuts down immediately.
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I thinkthe problem is unrelated to the logout menu or its timer, to be honest:

The logout screen with the choices disappears but the delay is still at least 30 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              I thinkthe problem is unrelated to the logout menu or its timer, to be honest:

f

That could be but unless the op defines further what he/she is looking at we can't really know for sure.
                              Last edited by kc1di; Sep 11, 2023, 11:16 AM.
                              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
                              X