Libre Writer strange problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it's a good try!

It's kind of a mystery how Writer decides what fonts to use (in the absence of explicit, direct formatting).

After all this ...
    and, actually, back to the "naive" idea of simply highlighting select words in a paragraph, and then selecting the correct font for those words, one paragraph/section at a time ...
    Well, fact is, and it's kind of funny, but not so funny (for me) ... most of this Korean grammar text is so difficult (to read and understand and "learn"), that I've got plenty of time to slow down and reformat each paragraph/section as I read through a typical lesson!!! 😵😲🧐🤓😂 I'm talking about having to spend 10 to 30 minutes or so on ONE paragraph/section of, say, 10-20 lines. Of course that speeds up as you learn more, BUT then comes a more advanced grammatical construction, and, well, you feel like you are back to Square One again as a "learner." "Learning" it means reading, hand writing some/all of it, maybe even typing some of it (using Google's virtual keyboard), and listening to a speaker say the word(s) (again, thanks to Google translator). The time it takes to highlight and format as I go is not trivial, but it is not at all such a hassle. So, there are options here (some of which rely on luck ... being lucky when all formatting just "happens somehow").

If you've ever undertaken the study of an Asian language, you know exactly what I am facing. YouTube videos often focus on topics such as, "Feel like committing suicide learning Korean? So damned hard? Going so slow? Have faith! Don't give up. Here's how to psyche yourself through this long, long, long journey you have chosen to undertake ..." That should have been my first clue on Day One!

Some people crash a quick conversational course just to learn how to order food, or say common greetings, or ask tourist questions. Even that can take months. (One website touts, In 90 days you can learn to carry on a 3-minute conversation") Learning the actual formal grammar is another matter ... very much like mathematics, with formal constructions. Many people can speak (after 1-5 years), but have no idea how to write sentences with proper grammar. My main goal is to write.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
    X