X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With free?

Code:
                 total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:       32683248     3699824    24558044      915284     4425380    27610744
    Swap:      62499836           0    62499836
    btw, Lesson 23 in Writer is froze up now, at the time I issued "free" above.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

See #16:

When I ran free (post #16), Lesson 23 was froze up! when I issued "free." Couldn't even use scroll bars. KSysGuard looked OK, but I ended the process on soffice. That closed Lesson 23 document. Then I re-opened Lesson 23 document. I could not use the mouse to highlight, BUT I could use the scroll bars this time. After just 10 seconds or so, the document was OK! During that 10-second time (when I couldn't highlight), I ran free again -- with the same result as posted in #16. In fact, I ran free several times (during post #16 and #17 here) with no change from #16.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I've managed to reproduce something of a slow down, but only "Importing document" for 20 s or so when initially pasting. What was avoiding the trouble were browser extensions. I use NoScript that limits the scripts that web pages can run, AdBlockPlus which blocks ads, and AutocopySelection2Clipboard, set to "Plain (selection.toString)". I had to tell NoScript to temporarily trust a bunch of sites, turn off the ad blocker, and get around AutocopySelection2Clipboard by using right-click (to get the context menu) Copy, and Edit..Paste in LO.

If it's really just the text you want, including Korean text, then you could use a text editor as an intermediary, or in LO "Paste Unformatted text".

I've also got LO 7.2.5.2, perhaps on Kubuntu 20.04 you've got an older version. The LibreOffice project seem to me to have emphasized bug fixes in recent releases. You can run a recent version (7.3.1.3 as I write this) with very little trouble by downloading an appimage version, though I don't know what you have to do to import settings from your current version.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

I'll try LO paste unformatted text. Don't know why I didn't do that before. (Thunderbird offers that same option for pasting.)

Comment

An interesting twist ...
            Stripping away the formatting of the document can have consequences! Ha-ha!
            I grabbed just a few examples:

Liberation Serif font.
            But, I prefer to see it in Noto Sans CJK SC:

Strangely, usually, when I copy text into a Writer document, the formatting has fallen into place automagically:
            The Korean letters are Noto Sans CJK SC, and the English text is Liberation Serif -- that's the preferred way for me.

If I highlight all the text, and click it to Noto Sans CJK SC, the Korean characters are right, but the English characters are also in Noto Sans CJK SC, rather than the preferred Liberation Serif!

I'm pretty sure there is a way in Writer to set this up correctly, but I will have to look into it.
            One issue is the ENTIRE text is already copied into place. I.e., I am not typing it character-by-character. I need some AI help in going through a document and changing letters according to the rule Korean = Noto Sans CJK SC versus English = Liberation Serif.

It really makes a difference (in readability, for me) when reading a block of text:
            전화번호를 받은 직후에 = Liberation Serif
            전화번호를 받은 직후에 = Noto Sans CJK SC

Not to speak of a paragraph; or this kind of syllable (consisting of 4 characters):

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              If I highlight all the text, and click it to Noto Sans CJK SC, the Korean characters are right, but the English characters are also in Noto Sans CJK SC, rather than the preferred Liberation Serif!
              You do know; I know you know; that a highlighted section of text; all of it; is subject to any editing changes you make. That's the whole point of highlighting.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Right, about highlighting. But there is so much text, about half is Korean and half is English. It would take forever to go through the 20+ page document highlighting. I am doing that, though, in some sections of text where I feel i really need to see the text in Noto Sans CJK SC. Just now, I did it with this: 잃, or larger, to see better: (= Noto Sans CJK SC).

Comment

Okay. Found what I think you are wanting.

In LibreOffice Writer, with your document open, press Ctrl+A to highlight entire document. Click Edit > Find and Replace... (or press Ctrl+H). Click in the Find: field. Under Other options check Including Styles. Click the Format... button. In Family: (Font tab) select the font you want to 'find'. Leave the Style: and Size: fields empty. Click OK. Click in the Replace: field. Click the Format: button again. The Family: field remains filled with your initial selection. Go to the Size: field and input the size of the text you want. Click OK. Click the Replace All button. Done.

I tested this on a document. It works.

Comment

Now THAT could be a useful tool or feature. But, in this case, looking at this typical example:

Instead of: 오기 전에 저 밥을 먹었어요 = Before I came, I ate

That entire sentence is in the same font (like Liberation Serif). But only the Korean characters need to be changed to another font (like to: 오기 전에 저 밥을 먹었어요).

It's stop-and-go with the two fonts, like this (which is ALL in Liberation Serif):

before~기 전, to build a (non-main) clause; after a verb: [verb stem]~기 전; attached to tell 'when' (more: L29): 제가 가전에 = before I go

Comment

In Find and Replace, maybe look at the options in Attributes... There are A LOT of checkable options there, including Language. Just a thought.

Comment

That's a good idea, too, Paul. I'll have a look. I'm sure there must be way. Thanks for looking into this! 👍

Comment

Well, I need to reformulate the problem, after looking at it more closely.

Let's say I copy text from the website. That text contains a mixture of English and Korean words and sentences. On the website, the font of the Korean text is OK (which is the font Noto Serif CJK KR).

Now I paste that text into either a Kate text file or a Libre Writer document.
                          The font of the English words are OK (e.g., Liberation Serif). The Korean text font, though, has changed from Noto Serif CJK KR to Noto Serif CJK SC. In other words, the front of the Korean text has changed from something that was OK (Noto Serif CJK KR) to something that is not preferred (Noto Serif CJK SC).

Thus, it seems LO Writer is "set" to use Noto Serif CJK SC on Korean words. WHERE is that setting?! It seems I should be able to make that setting Noto Serif CJK KR.

In researching this, I've come on to many articles that are closely related, but not (yet) quite right for this problem. Where did MY LO Writer get the idea to use Noto Serif CJK SC when it sees a Korean word?

I am hopeful I will find that setting.

And/or, this goal: How to replace every occurrence of Noto Serif CJK SC font with the font Noto Serif CJK KR?

At the moment, this has given me a temporary case of scrambled brains, which calls for some Chinese takeout food and a beer.

Comment

How to replace every occurrence of Noto Serif CJK SC font with the font Noto Serif CJK KR?
                            I would think my first solution addresses this?

Comment

Ok, I'll check that again. I got off on a chain of various things, maybe got off into a ditch! However, if I remember correctly, I didn't see the option of replacing fonts with fonts; only replacing something like bold-face with italics...

You (or I) soon realize how little I know about fonts and formatting. It's a whole world and language unto itself, which quickly gets somewhat technical in the sense that you must take time to learn THEIR terminology. It gets somewhat abstract, I guess I'm saying.

Comment

I didn't see the option of replacing fonts with fonts;
                                That’s exactly what my ‘solution’ did.

Comment

Working...
                                X