X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Libre Writer strange problem

Very strange. But it is affecting important documents:

I create and finish a Writer document, call it odtA.
    Later, I open it, and I try to use the mouse to highlight a sentence.
    But I can't do it. The mouse won't highlight that sentence. The mouse cursor moves right over the words I'm trying to highlight. I try to paste this "air" into a blank document, and nothing pastes -- nothing was highlighted or copied from odtA.

Also, from another similar document (in the same folder), I copy a sentence S1.
    The I try to paste that sentence into odtA (using the mouse).
    But I can't do it.
    But I can paste that sentence S1 into some other similar document (in that same folder).

Not all documents in that same folder are affected by this problem.
    Some documents in that folder seem damaged in some way.

Let's say I open one of those "damaged" documents.
    I can type new characters into it, I can even save that modified version.
    But, again, I can not use the mouse to copy stuff from that "damaged" document -- the mouse will not highlight. In a "damaged" document, I can do a Ctrl-End, but the screen is not automatically changed down to the end of the document -- I have to manually use the scroll bar to scroll to the end of the document to see the blinking cursor (that I put there using Ctrl-End).

What I have done:
    -- I checked KSysGuard to make sure Libre/Writer isn't hanging or something.
    -- I checked permissions on the "damaged" document -- seems OK, with me as the owner etc.
    -- Reinstalled Libre Writer. It didn't fix the problem.
    -- Tried saving the "damaged" document under a new name (using File > Save As). It didn't fix the problem.

But this seems to have worked:

I open a "damaged" document.
    I use the File menu to Select All (and it works ok).
    I use the File menu to Copy.
    I open a new Writer document (a blank document), I paste everything into it, I name that document some new name, close it, open it, and it seems to be OK -- I can use the mouse to copy & paste from it and into it.

Boy, any ideas what the heck is going on?!!!
    What is causing that damage on * some * of my documents, but not on all? WHAT is damaged?

It actually gets weirder ...

I remember this happening in the recent past. It has happened a couple times in the past. At that time, I sat there at the PC, clicked the mouse buttons, kept trying, and after just a minute or so, everything started working OK! (i.e., I could highlight and copy text from the "temporarily damaged document.") It is just this morning that the "damaged" docs do not seem to be self-healing!!!

And, no, this has nothing to do with all that wine I have here on the shelf behind me.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Out of curiosity, are the affected documents 'older' ones; created using an older version of Libre Writer?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, the affected docs are recently made; in fact, a document I just finished yesterday is affected.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Check your RAM use while an offending document is open. If your are using all of your RAM perhaps it is a lag problem?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That sounds like my bugbear, PDF. Maybe your document was saved as PDF, or contains an object pasted from a PDF document, or some other type.

If you can make a test example of the problem, you could pastebin it for us to check it out.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

I'll try to get a test example. When it rains, it pours ... dealing at the moment with a leaking hot water heater (drain valve leaking, not the tank ... I wish it were the tank, so I'd be motivated to just replace the whole thing. Hate plumbing.)

Comment

I have a 22-page document in Writer that has the problem, but I don't know how to make that available. I don't know how to shorten it, say be deleting 21 pages of it. Gotta think on this some more.

Comment

Re Post #7: too late. It self-healed. I really thought that one was stuck forever, damaged beyond hope, but somehow it is now working OK! I can't believe this.

It's not the wine on the shelf behind me. I am now wondering if it could be this cheap beer (Anheuser-Busch Natural Light). Could you guys try a can or two, create a Writer Doc, and see if you can reproduce this problem?

Comment

• Snowhog
                  Snowhog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  “Could you guys try a can or two, create a Writer Doc, and see if you can reproduce this problem?”

That’s funny!

• Qqmike
                  Qqmike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  😅 We always have fun here, even when we have problems to solve!

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                Could you guys try a can or two, create a Writer Doc, and see if you can reproduce this problem?
                Sorry, I work with writer documents most days, and I've never had your problem.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Just a thought from jlittle's statement in Post #5. I copy lessons from the Internet, paste them into a Writer document, then edit/add to/change/reformat/mess with that document.
                  Lesson 23 is one that gave me this problem (and it is the one that just self-healed in Post #8). Here's a link to that lesson. Just wondering if the author (of this leading, reputable, well-known site) may have put some sort of formatting or codes into his pages (I am not a web page guy, either, as should by now be apparent ...). Here is that lesson #23:

https://www.howtostudykorean.com/uni...5-2/lesson-23/

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                    I went to that page, pressed ctrl-A, and pasted 26 pages into a new and blank writer document. All the text was copyable. Except, the ads on the right hand side.

So, I don't know what happened to your document. A trick I often use is to paste copied text into my text editor (vim, but kate works too) then copy that to where the text is going; weird formatting gets discarded, and if it's not actually text I find out about it. (I have to do that copying from a konsole to paste here at KFN.)
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

The idea to copy text into Kate (and then to Writer) is a good one. Fact is, I always have to reformat, even re-organize the copied text anyway, or add stuff to it. Thanks for taking time to do this, jlittle.

Comment

Qqmike I've just copied/pasted the document from your link into LibreOffice Writer (Version: 7.3.1.3). I can confirm the seemingly random behavior you are experiencing.

Observations: First, this document contains MANY hyperlinks. Second, it contains a lot of non-english characters, MANY used in hyperlinks. Third, when the mouse highlighting doesn't work, waiting 'some length of time'; which isn't excessively long; has the functionality of mouse highlighting 'resume'. Fourth, the document is HUGE.

My conclusion: Memory lag.

Of course, my conclusion isn't 'qualified', but...
                        Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 13, 2022, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• GreyGeek
                          GreyGeek commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I concur. #4

Thanks for doing that Snowhog. I do appreciate it. So there is some "gremlin(s)" possibly in there, somewhere, somehow. The documents are large like that, 20-30 pages per lesson. Tons of Korean alphabet characters. Now memory lag is speed, right? As for quantity, I do have 32 GB RAM, with not much else of anything going on (email, KFN, a couple of YouTube tabs in Firefox, etc.). I have wondered about the formatting. I impose my own formatting, which is quite heavy (character, paragraphs, spacing, indents, etc.). Thanks, again.

Comment

My thinking is that LOW itself is having a harder time processing the document. Again, an unqualified conclusion.

Comment

Working...
                          X