Clear All

Boy, it's not going.
    In the Find field, I have: Noto Serif CJK SC
    Replace field: Noto Sans CJK KR, 12 pt.
    The entire text is highlighted.
    I click Replace All,
    and I get this: Search key not found

That's impossible, because every Korean word is in Noto Serif CJK SC
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Just replace the font first. Reread my solution steps.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm following Post #23.
        My Libre Office is Version: 6.4.7.2

In the Find and Replace dialog box that pops up, the Find field is blank, BUT just below it is Noto Serif CJK SC -- which is the font I am trying to find and replace.
        The Replace field is also blank, BUT just below it is Noto Sans CJK KR, 12 pt -- which is the font I am trying to obtain.
        Under Other Options, the box is checked for Including Styles.
        My Text is all highlighted.
        I press Replace All
        and I get that message: Search Key is not found.

It looks like it is looking for a word to search for (as the search key).
        I want the search key (for Find) to be the font Noto Serif CJK SC.

Something is screwy here!
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

OK, I just sent you a toy example. I'll be checking back tomorrow, I think I've been at this and other projects here too long today. Thanks, Paul.

Comment

Okay. I just tried to change the size of all Noto Sans CJK SC font text in the document you sent me. Worked perfectly. There is a correction to what I previously posted for instructions. Follow the steps below.

In LibreOffice Writer, with your document open, press Ctrl+A to highlight entire document. Click Edit > Find and Replace... (or press Ctrl+H). Click in the Find: field. Click the Format... button. In Family: (Font tab) select the font you want to 'find'. Leave the Style: and Size: fields empty. Click OK. Click in the Replace: field. Click the Format: button again. The Family: field remains filled with your initial selection. Go to the Size: field and input the size of the text you want. Click OK. Click the Replace All button. Done.

So the Style and Size fields for Find are to be empty. The size you want the text using the identified font to be is entered in the Size field for Replace.

Comment

Thanks for your post, Snowhog. I'll get back to this soon today. Just one thing: remember, I am trying to change the font AND the size.

Trying to change all occurrences of this:
              Noto Serif CJK SC

to this:
              Noto Sans CJK KR, 12 pt

Note:
              Somehow, Writer automagically decided to use the font Noto Serif CJK SC on Korean words copied to a Writer document. That font is hard to read. A preferred font (by many) is something like my choice: Noto Sans CJK KR, 12 pt. There must be a setting somewhere in Writer that controls such choices made by Writer ...

Comment

May not be an ideal solution (I tried mine again, and it doesn't work; maybe it didn't work the first time either. ), but you could just select the entire document and change the font to Noto Serif CJK KR 12 pt. The Korean characters get changed to the font and size you want, and the English words stay english, but use Noto Serif CJK KR 12 pt.

Comment

I found this and set up the Replacement Table with Noto Serif CJK SC and Noto Sans CJK KR and opened the document. Nothing changed. But it should work. No idea how helpful/knowledgable the people are on LibreOffice Forum, but you could register then ask this question there.

Comment

• Qqmike
                    Qqmike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I also found that, and I had the same experience you had. This is strange that a solution is not more forthcoming. It must be a common problem. Some users even have trouble setting up their "mixed" documents for spellchecking.

you could just select the entire document and change the font to Noto Serif CJK KR 12 pt. The Korean characters get changed to the font and size you want, and the English words stay english, but use Noto Serif CJK KR 12 pt.
                  You mean change the entire document to Noto Sans CJK KR 12 pt. The English would also then be in Noto Sans CJK KR 12 pt. Not the best choice for English, but it isn't too bad. So, yeah, that's a way to go with this. I care more about the readability of the Korean than I care about the preferred font of the English. After getting to know the Korean better, then other non-geometric fonts would be OK. As it is now, I often see handwritten Korean characters, some of which take me a long time to see what they actually are. Learning Korean is very similar to learning abstract math, in many ways (something I have degrees in). Learning Korean grammar is one of the most difficult things I've ever done. How much more so with, say, Japanese or Chinese. At least Korean characters are not too many, and they can written in a clean geometric fashion with, say, Noto Sans CJK KR.

Many thanks, Snowhog.

Comment

Sometimes The Force is stronger than my Google Foo.

Comment

Reading along with this thread, I don't understand the difference between, and the need for, Noto Serif CJK SC (Simplified Chinese) and Noto Serif CJK KR (Korean). I expect Korean characters to be, well, Korean in any font.

And, I thought the term CJK referred to encodings for east Asian characters, and those encodings are made obsolete by Unicode.
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

jlittle

I thought CJK stood for Chinese, Japanese, Korean.
                        Sorry, don't know much about the status of such encodings. I do still see CJK referenced around the Internet (in my searches for various things).
                        Libre Writer uses both those designations in its font menu (see below ...). When I copy text into LO Writer document, for some reason it is often converted to Noto Serif CJK SC (whereas it started out as Noto Sans CJK KR).

This is just personal preference, while I am learning the language (Korean) -- ease of reading, readability.
                        Here are just a few examples, grabbed at random from texts I have open here (enlarged so you can see it better):

Noto Serif CJK SC:

ㅈ ㅕ ㄹ ㅎ ㅏ ㅌ ㅊ ㅠ ㅉ ㅕ
                        그렇 싫어하다 좋아하다 싫어하다

Noto Sans CJK KR

ㅈ ㅕ ㄹ ㅎ ㅏ ㅌ ㅊ ㅠ ㅉ ㅕ

그렇 싫어하다 좋아하다 싫어하다

I just find it easier, quicker (for my brain) to read the Noto Sans CJK KR font. It's cleaner, more geometric, straight lines, no waves or serifs, and such. I see a lot of people going further -- they take a font like Noto Serif CJK SC and stylize it further, toward artistic handwriting, and I sometimes have to study it for minutes to make out what the characters are supposed to be. That's because I'm new at it. Ditto for English -- there are fonts and hand-writing styles that are almost unreadable ... Or ... the fonts interfere with an efficient transfer of information, such as technical grammar points.

Comment

I understand your opinions about fonts, generally; I'm am puzzled by the difference. Ah, I didn't notice the Serif - Sans switch. I suspect that SC (simplified chinese) and KR does not make a difference for Korean.

However, I strongly prefer serif fonts for Latin text. Sans serif fonts may be "cleaner", but they're harder to read, and have cost many lives. (Really. People have died because road signs have been harder to read.) After a couple of screw ups here on KFN, thanks to another member here I use a line of CSS that forces serif fonts; I didn't imagine that it would apply to Korean, and couldn't understand what was going on, sorry.
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

For English writing, I do also prefer the serifs. It is just better, clearer, easier to read, even more relaxing. However, advertising is full of sans serif fonts. Even headlines of articles are often sans serif (where the text of the body copy is with serifs). And so on ...

Comment

I've been 'playing' with an Uber-geekish approach to this issue; yeah, Uber-geekish - I like that title; but it isn't working out.

If you didn't know (I didn't. Google Foo to the rescue.), .od? files are zip files, and can be unzipped: unzip filename.odt -d directoryname (directory must already exist)

An unzipped .od? file contains content.xml which is the "document" you see in LibreOffice. I was thinking that one could use sed to find and replace the instances where the undesired font was being specified. But unzipping the LibreOffice "Lesson 23" .odt file and searching content.xml file; there is only one instance of 'Noto Serif CJK'. Everywhere that Korean characters are shown, they are preceded by text:style-name="Standard" The only instance where 'Noto Serif CJK' appears is near the beginning of the file (the header?) and is contained in:

<style:font-face style:name="Noto Serif CJK SC" svg:font-family="&apos;Noto Serif CJK SC&apos;" style:font-family-generic="system" style:font-pitch="variable"/>

So my Uber-geekish approach, while initially promising, isn't panning out.
                              Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 22, 2022, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X