X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your opinion about Rekonq!

@ kubicle

I think I would find that a little overcomplicated for me to remember but it is certainly a good idea and I think I will go for a slightly simplified version of that advice.

Comment

I think Rekonq is a great browser! Although I stopped using it because it would have problems with the flash every time I expanded the window, I think after the minor issues are taking care of, I would rather use that than FF.

Comment

Tried it, issues. Went back to ff.
        Custom amd x4 o/c 3800<br />8gb ram, radeon 5850<br />kde 4.7&nbsp; kernel 3 <br />Virtualbox winxp<br /><br />Dell precision m6300<br />4gb ram Quadro m1600<br />intell 2core 2k<br />kde4.7 kernel 3.0

Comment

Is there a way to get rekonq to sync bookmarks like I can in Firefox? If I could get rekonq to keep the bookmarks updated I would like to use it more.

Comment

Well after updating to latest KDE I have given Rekonq another whirl.
            Not really noticed much difference since my last whirl but I did notice it was VERY fast and that is coming from a Chromium user.

Unfortunately, the more nagging issues I have with it are still there.
            In particular, the fact I cannot drag a link to a bookmarks toolbar folder directly, only to the toolbar.
            Worse still, if I go for the longer approach of right-click add bookmark it STILL adds it to the toolbar and doesn't give me any options to place it anywhere specific.

Also that very odd (to me) behaviour of adding speed dial items.
            It's just wrong.

No matter much it improves I will never be able to use it with the above issues.

Comment

Not ready for prime time ... it lacks speed (compared to FF4 or Chrome/-ium) and user script support. On the other hand if you're still using Konqueror you might be still better off with Rekonq, at least it shows most of the web pages correctly.
              &quot;A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.&quot; - Mitch Ratcliffe

Comment

I really like rekonq actually. I do have Chromium on hand in case a site doesn't play nice, but it works great for 99% of what I need, and I like a lot of its interface.

Comment

I use Rekonq for my everday browsing, occassional videos, and pretty much everything. I noticed the occassional crashing if I ran heavy flash, but thats what I use FF for. Otherwise, everything[including this] is done from Rekonq
                  Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

I actually removed it. I used it a bit and it seemed fine, but I have no reason to switch from FF and Chromium.

Comment

I used it for a bit after install 11.04 but google pages would lock up. Kinda made it useless....

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm using rekonq right now.

It works very well on forums and simple web pages with just graphics and tables which would be my normal use for it. But I was surprised to find YouTube videos play correctly and I can even log into one of my on-line bank accounts. There are problems with some hi-tech web pages where text is over-writtem, for those I would normally be using Opera or Chromium anyway.

Comment

Looks like there were a LOT of fixes in the .7 release (which is the version I have on my system)

rekonq 0.7 stable!!
                          adjamblog - Sun, 04/03/2011 - 09:23

Yes, it’s that time again!
                          Rekonq code has finally reached the stable level to let us release the 0.7.0 version.
                          We had in this time the longest bugfixing period in rekonq development history and I have to say that in my system, that is:
                          - Qt 4.7.x, compiled from 4.7-stable branch
                          - KDE SC 4.6.x, compiled from branch
                          - rekonq compiled from master branch
                          I could reproduce any of the crash bugs reported in bugzilla!!
                          Anyway, as it seems someone could, we’ll stand (as usual) with eyes open and ready to the eventual bugfix + patch release in a while.
                          Here is a brief feature list to summarize what you can expect in this release over the 0.6 one:
                          - OpenSearch support (XML & JSON parsers) on urlbar suggestions
                          - Better cache management (WebKit Page Cache feature support)
                          - enhanced Private Browsing mode (needs KDE SC 4.6)
                          - new restore session notification system (you’ll hopefully never see it…)
                          - Images in urlbar visual suggestions
                          - Various improvements in bookmarks management
                          - Optional tab list menu entry (more will come in tabs management)
                          - User Agent switch support
                          - Save zoom settings per host
                          - Reenable raster graphics system by default on linux (basically, this means better webkit performance)
                          - an enormous number of bugs fixes (a search on bugzilla against rekonq bugs closed in 2011 says 214!!! But… was 0.6 that bad??)
                          I really like it, but frankly FF with XMarks and LastPass is irreplaceable for me right now. If / When Rekonq supports Chrome plug-ins I'll probably switch. The built-in bookmarks manager seems to be a lot better, too.
                          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                          K*Digest Blog
                          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Whether one likes rekonq, to me, is probably a very personal decision.

The fact that it is built on webkit or whatever is irrelevant to me.

a) although it is pretty cool to have "favourites" in the first display page with the nice big images; for anyone, like me, who has a "lot" of favourites, the number of favourites becomes unworkable, or at least "less efficient" than a folder of favorites. Setting a favorite takes more mouse clicks/hand movements across the screen and actual time than the traditional way.

b) bookmarks ditto.

The above are the PRESENT problems with it for moi.

However, again, if one is more laid back, just cruisin' around etc. then the extra clicks etc. the display of favs in the picture format would probably be fine.

A "future" problem would seem to me to be more pressing.

c) It would seem, from the LACK of information from the developers that there is any kind of near approach to plugins like being able to do downloads of videos is way off their radar and they don't SEEM to be doing any kind of outreach to third parties to do plugins.

Now, this is typical of some developer groups, to keep things close to the chest, so that, in and of itself, is no biggie, but the lack of information then leads me to a present problem.

It MAY be that the use of webkit or whatever will somehow speed the ability to be able to have an open source "flash" that always works, but again, we/I don't know.

d) And, the present problem for moi, I, particularly, is that I need the ability to download videos so that I can cut snippets, etc. to use for teaching(that is perfectly legal, it is called "educational inspiration". One can do that for one semester, but not again without contacting the provider of the video(say of a wee beastie eating another wee beasite). Next semester I repeat the operation with a different, similar, video.

Academics are notorious for "I'll get around to it later" and one can wait for months or forever to get a reply.

But, particularly moi, I need the ability to do downloads.

Actually aside from a "linky thingy" I don't do hardly any plugins, and I imagine, most people do not do many plugins...

so....again, it is a matter of what one does.

I'll use rekonq once in a while to check what is going on with it, but will, at this point have to stay with FF.

woodsmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                            X