This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your opinion about Rekonq!

I do notice that web browsing with rekonq is slower than Konqueror and Firefox in rendering webpages, at least for me. It isn't a lot slower, but noticable.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I noticed a slight lag as well but the over all design and flow is what has me interested.

Comment

And why I continue to use in in MM. For those situations where a website won't render correctly (or at all), I just fire up Firefox.

Comment

I'm going to miss Xmarks. Been using it for years in FF and now in Chromium. Maybe some White Knight will ride in to save the day at the last moment.

Comment

AFAIK Xmarks team already found a way to reverse their decision to shutdown operations...
            Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
            Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

That's good news!

Comment

Being that rekonq is relatively new and the dev team is probably seeing what people want and don't want, it seems fine to me.

I think it is probably way too early in the development to expect much in the way of plugins. i use video download helper for my work and that is about the ONLY plugin.

But, video download helper will have to be made to work with Rekonq by the Video Download Helper folks .... not the other way around.

And, that will probably be influenced by how many people use Rekonq.

So, I installed FF using the installer, VERY NICE, GOOD JOB DEV TEAM! and can use it when I do video stuff.

Other than that, it will take a while to get used to how things like setting a bookmark works etc.

A lot of dev teams go so FAR "off the farm" that they lose most of the users. It is a tricky line for developers to walk and I think that the Rekonq team has done a pretty good job.

The ONLY thing that I find "unhandy" is not haveing a "search box" someplace. I am too used to the way of FF and IE I guess.

Clicking the new tab icon gives me the last few places and the Google home page is always there so...that is ok.

As to Konqueror I have just never been able to get used to it as a browser. It just seems "heavy" to me, even though I realize that it is not, it is just a personal preference thing.

And, that is not the fault of the thing because a LOT of people use it and I can see the usefulness of using it for a file browser also, but still...

I applaud the Kubuntu team for providing Rekonq as the default browser which is "pretty close" to how other browsers work but also has a few differences about it.. and ALSO for the team very thoughtfully providing an installer for the latest FF.

I think I can get to like Rekonq.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Gave it a couple of seconds to show that it can't do the acid 3 test and I went back to Opera.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK
                    Is there any Firefox like extensions for ReKonq that will sync bookmarks? I have Xmarks installed for Firefox, and would like to keep the bookmarks in Rekong in sync.
                    I have dropbox installed and a symlink from the my dropbox copy of bookmarks.xl to ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml

Works a treat for me. I also do the same with kwallet.kwl

Comment

I've actually been trying rekonq the past couple of days.
                      It's nice and fast and gets the job done but it has one deal breaker for me: bookmarks

I simply cannot drag a tab or web page or link into a bookmark toolbar folder and I hate that.
                      Unfortunately, konqueror and opera have the same problem so I stick with chromium for now.

And another thing. I really wish other browsers would take on chrome's approach and have the ability to import passwords and the like.
                      I find the worse thing about trying new browser is having to sort out all my usernames and passwords for websites because I have so many and don't tend to remember them.

Comment

Originally posted by x-shaney-x
                        ...all my usernames and passwords for websites because I have so many and don't tend to remember them.
                        Which is why I use the 'old school' technique of writing them down.

Really, I resort to this at work as well. I simply have to many applications that require userIDs and passwords; I can not remember them all and, they require changing of the passwords at intervals. I have to write them down, which at work I do in a password protected spreadsheet (that password I do remember).

I do not use KDE Wallet either. The safest place to keep ones computer/Internet account identies and passwords is off of the computer!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                          The safest place to keep ones computer/Internet account identies and passwords is off of the computer!
                          Generally I would agree but in my case, writing them down leaves them vulnerable to the biggest danger to privacy the world has to offer:

The missus

Comment

Comment

Gotta give a +1 to SnowHog on writing passwords down off computer is a good thing.

I've got a tattered and torn small blue spiral book with so many passwords and user names in it that it now weighs a ton!

woodsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by x-shaney-x
                                Originally posted by Snowhog
                                The safest place to keep ones computer/Internet account identies and passwords is off of the computer!
                                Generally I would agree but in my case, writing them down leaves them vulnerable to the biggest danger to privacy the world has to offer:
                                Here's a trick to keep passwords "safe" even if you write them down. Memorize your own algorithm to turn words into "passwords", so you can safely write the original words down...example:
                                1. Pick a word for a password and write it down --> sportssite
                                2. Add the number of vowels in front of the word --> 3sportssite
                                3. multiply the previous number by 3 and place it in the middlle --> 3sport9ssite
                                4. mirror the last part of the word -->3sport9etiss
                                5. Capitalize the two letters next to the middle number -->3sporT9Etiss
                                6. Add special characters . and ; in the middle of both words --> 3spo.rT9Eti;ss == password

As long as only you know how you transform the words you write down into passwords, your passwords should be safe even if someone gets their hands on your word list. You, on the other hand, can quickly recall the passwords by using the word list, and you only have to memorize the steps even if you have hundreds of passwords.

Comment

Working...
                                X