This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your opinion about Rekonq!

Subject says it all. Though I still have Konqueror installed as it handles SMB with Windows Shares far better than Dolphin I've never used it as my Web Browser. I've been a Firefox user for a very long time. I even tried Chrome for a while and ended back with Firefox. I've tested Rekonq for a while it is a nice interface and seems smooth, but I haven't seen any comparisons of it with the others I mentioned. What are your observations? Anyone?

Re: What is your opinion about Rekonq!

In my MM 10.10 install, I'm using rekonq as my 'main' browser, although I too, have Firefox installed for those occassions where a website isn't handled (well) by rekonq. I've not installed Konqueror.

I find rekonq rather nice. It still needs some additional refinement - IMO - but as is, it's pretty good.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Is there any Firefox like extensions for ReKonq that will sync bookmarks? I have Xmarks installed for Firefox, and would like to keep the bookmarks in Rekong in sync.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK
        Is there any Firefox like extensions for ReKonq that will sync bookmarks? I have Xmarks installed for Firefox, and would like to keep the bookmarks in Rekong in sync.
        OT but it looks like we might not lose xmarks -

http://blog.xmarks.com/

we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

After using Firefox for perhaps 7 years, and watching it become considerably "heavier" in recent times, I tried chromium-browser (the non-branded version of Chrome) six months ago, and have been using it exclusively ever since. I really should give Rekonq a try .... I really should ... but why?

Comment

Well, I've tried most Samba type work I normally use Konqueror for in Dolphin. It seems that Dolphin has matured more than I thought. It handled Samba shares very well. So, I guess I can let go of that for just Dolphin. Trying to reduce the amount of different tools I use. So now FireFox or ReKonq. I never could get use to Chrome for some odd reason. I've got FireFox working great and looking lean by using the Theme "Chromifox Extreme Carbon" but I agree it seems to have become "heavy" and why I'm looking at ReKonq. Since it is KDE I would hope it integrates better as well.

Comment

I prefer Chrome over ReKonq, and ReKonq over Konqueror..

Konqueror doesnt have support for address bar websearch, out of the box..

As in, you type something in the address bar, and get "Protocol not supported" instead of a web search, as in nearly ever other web browser ever made in the last .. 10 years or so.

break19

Comment

Originally posted by break19
                Konqueror doesnt have support for address bar websearch, out of the box..
                That simply isn't true. Konquer comes with a butt-load of Search Engines useable from the URL addres bar. One just has to preface the search Search Engine 'shortcut'. A Google search is prefaced with gg:

Just click on the small icon at the end of the URL address bar and click on Search Engines and see just how many are available to use.

Comment

Ok.. so. type ONLY "what is life" into the address bar of konqueror... and what happens? "Protocol not supported" But every other web browser made since 1996 would search for "what is life" on whatever primary search engine you set, or the default.

As I said "OUT OF THE BOX" which means WITHOUT DOING EXTRANEOUS stuff.. and adding "gg" or whatever, is extraneous, compared to any other browser out there.

Now.. feel free to convince me that I am wrong. You won't succeed. Quite frankly, I've been around the block way too many times.. And I'm set in my ways.

(as a personal note, my first linux kernel was 1.0.9 - on Slackware 2.0)

Comment

Originally posted by break19
                    And I'm set in my ways.
                    No one here is attempting to persude you one way or the other. As I said, I'm in rekonq at the moment, as I'm running my Maverick OS and don't have Konquer installed. Did you check in Konqueror as to whether or not you had a 'default' search engine selected? If no default search engine is identified then the results you describe would of course be the result.

Comment

Okay. I've rebooted in to Lucid, where I have Konquer as my default browser.

In Konqueror a default search engine is already selected - Google - but you need to enable web shortcuts, which might not be enabled by default - I can't remember.

Clicking on the small icon in the search bar - the smaller one to the right of the main URL bar - and clicking on Select Search Engines... you then check Enable Web Shortcuts and Apply and you're golden. Select any default search engine from the list you want.

Assume that by default this option isn't checked, and as I said, I simply don't remember if it was or was not - it's been awhile. But if it isn't checked by default, that would imply to me the developers choice to not choose for the end user, but allowing them to 'turn the feature on' which I, frankly, prefer. My OS. My choices.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Rekonq's fine but I'm not sure if I'd use it as my primary browser. For one, it doesn't render all sites properly, including some very popular ones like, at least for me, google calendar. Two, while it does have an "Awesome/Omni" bar, it's not very intelligent. Three, and what I find particularly annoying, is that it doesn't integrate kpart application toolbars so e.g. you'll get no access to okular functions when it's embedded in Rekonq. Four, it's a bit more crash-prone then other browsers. Five, there doesn't appear to be any built-in automatic (on-the-fly) spell check. Six, well I'd better stop here...

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK
                          I heard that Xmarks is shutting down services in favour of Firefox sync?!?

Comment

so far i like rekonq, its also my "main" browser on my MM machine. there are a few things it could use. i would like to see a method of importing bookmarks. also it seams to not handle some sites as well as firefox(but thats expected).i have also found i miss the search bar.
                            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I, too, have to say that Rekonq is very nice. I agree there are many things it lacks but then again it is also very young. I believe it has great potential. I'm still on FireFox but I do open Rekonq every once in a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X