This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow light bulb icon: Bug light?

Did a clean install and got this yellow light bulb icon in the system tray saying: "Software upgrade notifications are available" and if I click on it I get a black bar across the middle of the screen. Found a couple of items in [CLOSED] Pre-Release Testing and it seems to be the flasplugin installer is not working from the original install as I checked to install all the include everything or else the restricted extras packages. Whichever installs the flashplugin-installer. To get rid of the icon you need to do the following in the konsole.

sudo rm /var/lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed
    sudo rm /var/lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed-permanently

Mine only had the first one. I then removed the flashplugin-installer and reinstalled it using the konsole as using Muon Package Manager only brought the problem back. What I observed when following it closely as it did it, the installer would install the flashplugin-installer but then it was supposed to go and download the actual flashplayer package but it didn't but using the konsole did.

The only other little problem I had was it didn't place the network manager icon in the system tray but I eventually found it now in "Add Widgets" not in the System Menu where it was in 10.04 which I had been using.

Thank you. I just updated my 12.04 install that I have on an eSATA drive and had that black bar after clicking the yellow lightbulb. Now at least I'll know what to do to get rid of it.

So far 12.04 looks fine for me and I'll probably do my main install this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by nevillef View Post
      I then removed the flashplugin-installer and reinstalled it using the konsole
      I tried this:
      Code:
      me@ws-1756:/var/lib/update-notifier/user.d$ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
      Читання переліків пакетів... Виконано
      Побудова дерева залежностей                
      Reading state information... Виконано               
      Пропоновані пакунки:
        x-ttcidfont-conf ttf-mscorefonts-installer ttf-bitstream-vera ttf-dejavu ttf-xfree86-nonfree xfs
      НОВІ пакунки, які будуть встановлені:
        flashplugin-installer
      оновлено 0, встановлено 1 нових пакунків, для видалення відмічено 0 пакунків, і 0 пакунків не оновлено.
      Необхідно завантажити 0 B/8*408 B архівів.
      Для цієї операції 139 kB місця на диску буде використано.
      Передналаштування пакунків...
      Selecting previously unselected package flashplugin-installer.
      (Читання бази даних ... 118625 files and directories currently installed.)
      Розпаковування flashplugin-installer (з .../flashplugin-installer_11.2.202.233ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
      Обробка тригерів для update-notifier-common ...
      flashplugin-installer: downloading http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/a/adobe-flashplugin/adobe-flashplugin_11.2.202.233.orig.tar.gz
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/usr/lib/update-notifier/package-data-downloader", line 234, in process_download_requests
          dest_file = urllib.urlretrieve(files[i])[0]
        File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib.py", line 93, in urlretrieve
          return _urlopener.retrieve(url, filename, reporthook, data)
        File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib.py", line 239, in retrieve
          fp = self.open(url, data)
        File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib.py", line 207, in open
          return getattr(self, name)(url)
        File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib.py", line 344, in open_http
          h.endheaders(data)
        File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 954, in endheaders
          self._send_output(message_body)
        File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 814, in _send_output
          self.send(msg)
        File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 776, in send
          self.connect()
        File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 757, in connect
          self.timeout, self.source_address)
        File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 553, in create_connection
          for res in getaddrinfo(host, port, 0, SOCK_STREAM):
      IOError: [Errno socket error] [Errno -2] Name or service not known
      Налаштовування flashplugin-installer (11.2.202.233ubuntu2) ...

Comment

I had all that foreign writing in the "/var/lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed" file, but after I deleted it and installed in the konsole with "sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer" I never had all that info show up. I had very little in there actually. Just that it was downloading the file, then installing it and then paused while it was downloading "http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/a/adobe-flashplugin/adobe-flashplugin_11.2.202.233.orig.tar.gz" and finally finished.
        Last edited by nevillef; Apr 28, 2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

+1 Thank you Neville.
          Linux User #454271

Comment

Thanks for posting this fix. I was going to post the same problem. I only had the first file and deleting it solved the problem.

Comment

Reinstalling doesn't work for me either, I get the same trace as in post three.

Comment

I have just done another install, this time for a friend. My install was 64bit but this one was 32bit. Got the yellow light bulb but the "/var/lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed" file had the microsoft fonts as well listed. Removed the flashplugin-installer and deleted "data-downloads-failed" file and did flashplugin install from the konsole. I carefully watched everything as it scrolled by. Downloaded flashplugin and installed it. Then it downloaded the separate font files and installed them which it did successfully. Then downloaded the flashplayer file and installed it successfully. No errors at all. All in english, no foreign letters at all.
                I will add that both of these were clean installs into an already used /home partition. I will do a completely clean install into a vm when I have a chance to see if I have the problem, as I didn't when I installed beta 2 in the vm. (virtualbox)
                Last edited by nevillef; May 01, 2012, 01:38 AM.

Comment

More yellow light bulb.

I have installed in the vm and all was well until I installed kubuntu-restricted-extras which installs flashplugin again, and ms true type fonts among other things. The one I did yesterday was from installing wine which also installs the fonts. It displayed the window this time instead of the black bar and had a button "Run this action now" which I did and this is what I got.

"Warning: Could not find 'gksudo', starting '/bin/bash' instead. Please check your profile settings."

Looks like the GUI version or Muon is setup different as it should be KDEsudo. Maybe this is causing the problem. Maybe gksudo needs to be installed as well, but I don't know if this works properly with KDE or not. It says the restricted extras are installed but when I look in the fonts, they aren't there.

I hadn't installed the restricted extras on my laptop so did it with the konsole and didn't have a problem.

Comment

It seems we have come to similar conclusions only you seem to have identified the cause (dependency on GTK). From your perspective, I believe the MS fonts are held-back due to the problem with flashplugin-installer not installing correctly. From my side of things (QT based browsers not utilising flash correctly), the issue seem related to the missing KDEsudo package.
                    Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Originally posted by bra|10n View Post
                      It seems we have come to similar conclusions only you seem to have identified the cause (dependency on GTK). From your perspective, I believe the MS fonts are held-back due to the problem with flashplugin-installer not installing correctly. From my side of things (QT based browsers not utilising flash correctly), the issue seem related to the missing KDEsudo package.
                      The problem definitely is with the Muon software manager. I did another install to my laptop by installing the extra software and updates during the install. When finished there was no light bulb and the flashplugin was installed as I could play youtube videos.
                      I then used the konsole to install the kubuntu-restricted-extras and wine as these were the two that brought about the problem. Everything went smoothly with no errors causing the yellow light bulb to appear. So somewhere in Muon it must be looking to use gksudo instead of kdesudo to download the extra packages that are off site, like the ms fonts and the flashplayer packages.

Comment

Ok. From my angle I bypassed Muon entirely on one install and used Konsole exclusively for updates etc. This method still caused problems for QT written browsers, Rekonq and Qupzilla not playing videos (sound but no video). Firefox worked without problem. Do you use Rekonq? If so, I wonder if flash is working for you...

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

The first thing I did after the install finished and I rebooted was to check whether the flashplugin was installed and when it was I used Rekong as it was the only browser installed. It played youtube videos with video and sound. It still does after installing Firefox and playing youtube videos.

Comment

So we have different results.

Appologies, I should have said earlier that Rekonq did initially play YouTube videos but then suddenly stopped working for me.
                            Hope it keeps working for you though.
                            The only other difference in our experiences as I see it is the presence of Firefox then?

I am using Rekonq now without any problem at all, using the flash install I usedfrom another thread, but it would still be nice to understand what's causing this.
                            cheers

Comment

Surprise, surpise; a massive rework of the way the flash plugin is installed in Ubuntu 3 weeks before release caused major problems. *sigh*

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/993672
                              https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/993673

Those are the relevant bugs.

As a workaround, you can temporarily disable all interactive update notifications from the Notifications section in System Settings. (grumble grumble...)

(Uncheck the "Upgrade Information" checkbox)

Comment

Working...
                              X