• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    did you reboot,,,,I had to

VINNY
    yup
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      That fixes the protocol died error when launching kdesudo dolphin from the Desktop. Thanks!
      Yeah, I just discovered that this week.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
        Start with 'kdesudo dbus-run-session konqueror'
        This is (sort of) the way I start dolphin as root. I was still not happy with the result using kdesudo so I symlinked kdesu into /usr/bin and running dolphin as root works the way I want it to when used with dbus-run-session.

Code:
        wizard@wizard-laptop:/usr/bin$ ls -la kdesu
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Nov 25 11:42 kdesu -> /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu
        On identifying applications run as root, my ~/.bashrc uses a green prompt where root's is red and with the gooey applications in KDE the color scheme I use is *slightly* different.

In "View Background" my user's color is #eaeaeb (slightly off-white) while root's color scheme uses #f7e7ff (just enough pink that you notice it).

edit: My ~/.config/kdesurc is also a little different based on recommendations I got here. When I do 'kdesudo dbus-run-session dolphin' I get no icons but it works just fine with kdesu.

Code:
        [super-user-command]
        super-user-command=sudo
        edit v2.0: Using kdesu instead of kdesudo also causes krusader to theme correctly for me. I have no idea why as I copied krusader's config from my home directory to root's
        Last edited by wizard10000; Apr 06, 2017, 08:30 AM. Reason: added more words
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

I liked vinny's method of coloring icons better than my idea of coloring background, so check it out -

-- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
            I skimmed through the thing looking for a way to turn krusader single-pane for you
            The panes are resizable, and you can make one or the other 100% width, effectively giving you a "single panel"...both panels also support individual tree view panes, so you can make krusader have a "treeview+single panel" look if you prefer.

You can create a profile for it (and make it the start profile)...and you'd probably want to save the panel settings in krusader configuration, but krusader is really configurable.

EDIT: obligatory screenshot added:
            Attached Files
            Last edited by kubicle; Apr 06, 2017, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              The panes are resizable, and you can make one or the other 100% width, effectively giving you a "single panel"...both panels also support individual tree view panes, so you can make krusader have a "treeview+single panel" look if you prefer.

You can create a profile for it (and make it the start profile)...and you'd probably want to save the panel settings in krusader configuration, but krusader is really configurable.

EDIT: obligatory screenshot added:
              Does that setup behave like Dolphin? When you click on a directory in the left panel does it open the listing of the contents in the right panel? Mine doesn't.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Does that setup behave like Dolphin? When you click on a directory in the left panel does it open the listing of the contents in the right panel? Mine doesn't.
                Does your visible panel have focus (the hidden panel still exists and if it has focus, it follows your tree-view clicks...and not the visible panel). press "Tab" or click on the visible panel to witch focus.

Comment

Ah, like this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170406_143550.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	643491
                  Thanks!

Comment

ok ,,,so I got upgraded to kate-17.03.90 today ,,,,,,,,,,no more using Kate with sudo to edit root files ;(

sudoedit gives a vi terminal ,,,,,,,,,,,,,guess I must learn vi ?

however Krusaders built it advanced text editor will edit root files (wile in root mode),,,,,,,,for now.

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You can change it to nano in ~/.bashrc - add this:

Code:
                      export VISUAL=nano
                      export EDITOR="$VISUAL"
                      edit: I don't know whose environment sudoedit uses, so you may need to change /root/.bashrc as well.
                      Last edited by wizard10000; Apr 08, 2017, 09:13 AM.
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Why not just
                        export EDITOR=nano

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Why not just
                          export EDITOR=nano
                          That's what I thought as well, but when you get back at a PC there's a pretty good discussion here -

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...the-difference

Apparently the two variables have different meanings in bash; both of them are text editors and bash apparently calls $VISUAL and if that fails, calls $EDITOR.

I probably shouldn't mention there's also a $SYSTEMD_EDITOR variable in there
                          Last edited by wizard10000; Apr 08, 2017, 10:24 AM. Reason: used different words
                          -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                            That's what I thought as well, but when you get back at a PC there's a pretty good discussion here -

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...the-difference

Apparently the two variables have different meanings in bash; both of them are text editors and bash apparently calls $VISUAL and if that fails, calls $EDITOR.

I probably shouldn't mention there's also a $SYSTEMD_EDITOR variable in there
                            I checked my environment using "env" and didn't notice either EDITOR or VISUAL in my env settings, nor did I see them in the root env settings.

The man page of sudoedit states:
                            2. The editor specified by the policy is run to edit the temporary files. The sudoers policy uses
                            the SUDO_EDITOR, VISUAL and EDITOR environment variables (in that order). If none of
                            SUDO_EDITOR, VISUAL or EDITOR are set, the first program listed in the editor sudoers(5) option
                            is used.
                            In that quote you gave one person suspected that VISUAL was for GUI editors (which might require a KDESUDO prepend) and EDITOR was for the CLI.

So, I suspect that in order to avoid confusion with other programs that may use either "EDITOR" or "VISUAL" (which is a new one to me) it might be best to set
                            export SUDO_EDITOR=nano
                            in ~./bashrc
                            specifically for sudoedit. At least that's what I'm going to do. Or, better yet, set it to mc. That way I have both file management and editing capabilities.
                            Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 08, 2017, 10:40 AM.

Comment

...So, I suspect that in order to avoid confusion with other programs that may use either "EDITOR" or "VISUAL" (which is a new one to me) it might be best to set
                              export SUDO_EDITOR=nano
                              in ~./bashrc
                              specifically for sudoedit. At least that's what I'm going to do. Or, better yet, set it to mc. That way I have both file management and editing capabilities.
                              Makes sense to me. I haven't received the new security "feature" in Sid yet but it appears collectively we're pretty well prepared for it
                              -- anais nin

Comment

ok ,,,so I got upgraded to kate-17.03.90 today ,,,,,,,,,,no more using Kate with sudo to edit root files ;(

VINNY
                                You could launch the kate with the sudoedit - earlier:

- https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post397654
                                - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post397659

As a KDE Service Menu: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...156#post399156

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                                X