This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
    ...At least there are still options. I took up krusader, which I have used sporadically before, but never went through with setting it up just right...until now. (And so far I'm generally liking it better than dolphin...especially when working with the keyboard...in mc style).
    This "feature" hasn't made it to Sid yet. When it does I'll probably switch to geany and krusader (or pcmanfm, which I already have installed). sudoedit isn't an acceptable workaround for me as I really like $EDITOR pointing to a console text editor.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
      At least there are still options. I took up krusader, which I have used sporadically before, but never went through with setting it up just right...until now. (And so far I'm generally liking it better than dolphin...especially when working with the keyboard...in mc style).
      +1 for Krusader. I use nothing else but Krusader and have made it the default file manager in K14.04. I've been a fan of orthodox file managers since my earliest days with computers. I rarely use Dolphin. If Krusader wasn't available I would probably use Double Commander which I have installed here too. DC was my favourite file manager when I was using Ubuntu (mind you, almost anything was better than Nautilus back then ).
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Wow, Kubical! I wish I had looked at Krusader a lot sooner. It is mc on steroids! Love it!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Krusader 2.5.0 backported from zesty is now in

https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ubuntu/backports-landing

for testing on Xenial and Yakkety.

If you wish to test, please add that ppa, upgrade krusader, THEN REMOVE/DISABLE the ppa once upgraded

(may have to go through the 1st run setup on this upgrade)

Thanks.

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

ya we have the Krusader-2.5.0 on Neon as well ,,,,,,

and it will launch in root mode just fine ,,,,,,,,,,the niggle is blocking Dolphin from doing things as root ,,,,,,yes I know the issue is been addressed (slowly) , I just do not think it was nice to brake it before having a fix ready to immediately put in place so that their would be a more seamless transition to the new way.

VINNY

EDIT: OOPS thats right ,,,I forgot I compiled it to have the new one ,,,,,,the ver I get in a apt search is

Code:
            vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt search krusader
            Sorting... Done
            Full Text Search... Done
            krusader/xenial 1:2.4.0~beta3-2ubuntu1 amd64
             twin-panel (commander-style) file manager
            Last edited by vinnywright; Apr 03, 2017, 04:31 PM.
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              ...I just do not think it was nice to brake it before havie ng a fix ready to immediately put in place so that their would be a more seamless transition to the new way.
              Agreed, but KDE is a big project and managing it is probably like herding cats

The problem here is release management; apparently some stakeholders didn't provide input for whatever reason.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                Agreed, but KDE is a big project and managing it is probably like herding cats

The problem here is release management; apparently some stakeholders didn't provide input for whatever reason.
                I will concede that KDE IS a big project , and volunteer work at that ,,,,,,,, and I should not gripe ,,,at all ,,, I have been enjoying my KDE desktops since the 3.5 day's ,,,,for free , and loving it so shut-up Vinny

I just went into a short lived panic the other day when I needed to make some system links in some root DIR's .
                Usualy I would just do a "kdesudo dolphin" and drag and drop selecting the "link hear" option and their we go.

when I saw for the first time the
                Code:
                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ kdesudo dolphin 
                QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
                QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/vinny/.config/ibus/bus
                Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
                IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
                Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.
                I went ballistic ,,,,and keep in mind if you do that in krunner or use it in a custom menu entry you get NO notification at all ,,,,you just sit their wandering ,,why did it not launch ??

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Been there, done that.
                  Dolphin is, IMO, fantastic. In form, look and function it is unbeatable. I can turn the split screen on and off, and the services and right mouse offerings were awesome.

Krusader is not as eye pleasing and I haven't found a way to turn off the split screen, but it's got everything else, including the kitchen sink, in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    Been there, done that.
                    Dolphin is, IMO, fantastic. In form, look and function it is unbeatable. I can turn the split screen on and off, and the services and right mouse offerings were awesome.
                    Totally agree. I was a huge Xtree user about a million years ago. Love the ease of split screens. Now with Dolphin, I can also have tabs, write my own service menus, etc. I'm so used to the clean appearance that screen shot of Krusader looks messy to me.

Please Read Me

Comment

...Krusader is not as eye pleasing and I haven't found a way to turn off the split screen, but it's got everything else, including the kitchen sink, in it!
                      Here - have 138 pages of krusader manual. I found it pretty interesting

https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extra...r/krusader.pdf
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Here - have 138 pages of krusader manual. I found it pretty interesting

https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extra...r/krusader.pdf
                        What? Am I supposed to read a manual? Who ever does that?
                        (Besides, when did Linux apps ever have up todate manuals?)

Comment

What? Am I supposed to read a manual? Who ever does that?
                          (Besides, when did Linux apps ever have up todate manuals?)

I skimmed through the thing looking for a way to turn krusader single-pane for you and apparently there ain't one, but it was an interesting read. *Way* more functionality than I thought
                          -- anais nin

Comment

I skimmed through the thing looking for a way to turn krusader single-pane for you and apparently there ain't one, but it was an interesting read. *Way* more functionality than I thought
                            That's EXACTLY what I did and why. Didn't find anything either. But, it's still a good replacement for Dolphin when accessing root. I see it as a graphical mc.

Comment

I used to (09-10.xx kubuntu days) give the root user a password, log into the GUI as root, load a different set of icons than my user, then log out and delete the root password.

Then whenever I launched Dolphin with kdesudo, it looked different...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                                I used to (09-10.xx kubuntu days) give the root user a password, log into the GUI as root, load a different set of icons than my user, then log out and delete the root password.
                                You don't (didn't) really need to run a full desktop as root, you only need to run system settings (might have been kcontrol back then) as root with kdesudo to set the icon theme for root. I regularly set a different color scheme for root apps the same way, probably for the same reason you did...nice to have a visual reminder.

Comment

Working...
                                X