This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    Wow, that's a bummer. That was a sweet piece of hardware - and friggin' expensive if I recall correctly.
    Indeed it was. But I got 5+ years of really great performance, and my somewhat lackadaisical backup habits were good enough to keep me from losing anything important -- actually it was the OS partition that died so that was easily replaced. The surviving partition had a VM on it that I really wouldn't have wanted to lose -- the backup of that was a little aged.

Yeah I'm not as courageous as you with the hdds -- when I see 60k hours I'm done with it. To me, if data are worth storing, they're worth storing as securely as possible. I don't really have any data that I would be willing to lose for the sake of saving $195 on a hdd.

I think I'll probably hang in there with what I have for another year or so, assuming it hangs in there with me. By then, as you say, the M.2 bus will hopefully be supported by numerous consumer storage devices and a high performance desktop system will be feasible for a reasonable expense. I think you made a great choice with that MSI mobo -- looks pretty future-proof to me.

Comment

All my research and my personal experience basically says there's three common ages of failure for drives; 1: within the first few months, 2: 3-5 years, 3: waaaaayyy in the future - 15 years or more. I don't know if SSDs have skewed this at all, but their failure type is totally different - obviously no mechanical parts to wear out, just chips that have a lifespan. Like you, I tend to replace drives before they fail - because I want more performance or desire more storage. I tend to relegate the older drives to use as backup devices or "playground" use. I have discarded drives that still worked, but not many. With current devices claiming 1,000,000 hrs MTBF I suspect once you get past the 5 year mark you could keep a drive literally forever. We'll have them to leave to our kids, LOL.

As far as backups go - I too am occasionally lax. My project list includes writing a cron script to automate the backup process for both my desktop and server. I'm thinking daily for the desktop and monthly for the server. Although, one could use inotify and backup data as it changes if desired. Since I use btrfs for everything I would want to backup, the process would be super easy to automate.

1: Take a read-only snapshot.
      2: Send/receive said snapshot.
      3. Perform clean up (removed aged backups).

Done.

Currently I backup my server data monthly, but manually and much less so for the install. My desktop gets slightly more attention.

Please Read Me

Comment

And DOA, although it is included in your Category #1 "first few months". DOA is kind of a distinctive category, imo. I had one in 2006--a Seagate 160 GB HDD--from Newegg (and, of course, Newegg bent over backwards to make it right).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          And DOA, although it is included in your Category #1 "first few months". DOA is kind of a distinctive category, imo. I had one in 2006--a Seagate 160 GB HDD--from Newegg (and, of course, Newegg bent over backwards to make it right).
          DOA indeed. Where I retired from we had a low bid contract from DELL. During a period of time when DELL was having financial trouble fully 1/3rd of the HD's were DOA and showed signs of having been previously installed in another machine. Ditto for their displays. Before I retired their quality returned to normal, although I don't remember what percentage of DOA their normal was.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Truebench results:

Q6600 @ 3.0 GHz = 221 seconds
            i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz = 44 seconds

Not too bad
            did you email the dev with your results ?

I did and got the top spot in the graph on the web page ,,,,,,,you can take it LOL

http://truebench.the-toffee-project.org/

ya the dev just emaild me to see if you could post your output ,,,,,,,,,I told him your results
            VINNY
            Last edited by vinnywright; Dec 08, 2016, 08:56 PM.
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hmmm... You all made me want to run that on my machine here. Don't know if they are good marks or not but seems OK here.

Code:
              Elapsed Duration:
              in Seconds: 107
              in Milliseconds: 107515
              in Microseconds: 107515256
              --------------------------------------------------------
              CPU Info:
              Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
              8 cores/threads

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                did you email the dev with your results ?

I did and got the top spot in the graph on the web page ,,,,,,,you can take it LOL

http://truebench.the-toffee-project.org/

ya the dev just emaild me to see if you could post your output ,,,,,,,,,I told him your results
                VINNY
                Did it this morning. I am indeed the top performer!

Please Read Me

Comment

When I run Gtk+Perf I get 2.46 seconds.
                  When I run truebench I get
                  Elapsed Duration:
                  in Seconds: 108
                  in Milliseconds: 108303
                  in Microseconds: 108303656
                  --------------------------------------------------------
                  CPU Info:
                  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
                  8 cores/threads
                  which compares with the other i7 chips near the 3610Q.

It and Gtk+Perf must be testing entirely different things.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Truebench tests only CPU function. Gtkperf tests GTK+ graphics performance.

Please Read Me

Comment

Didn't know that. Thanks. (Should have read the docs )

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                        Indeed it was. But I got 5+ years of really great performance, and my somewhat lackadaisical backup habits were good enough to keep me from losing anything important -- actually it was the OS partition that died so that was easily replaced. The surviving partition had a VM on it that I really wouldn't have wanted to lose -- the backup of that was a little aged.

Yeah I'm not as courageous as you with the hdds -- when I see 60k hours I'm done with it. To me, if data are worth storing, they're worth storing as securely as possible. I don't really have any data that I would be willing to lose for the sake of saving $195 on a hdd.

I think I'll probably hang in there with what I have for another year or so, assuming it hangs in there with me. By then, as you say, the M.2 bus will hopefully be supported by numerous consumer storage devices and a high performance desktop system will be feasible for a reasonable expense. I think you made a great choice with that MSI mobo -- looks pretty future-proof to me.
                        Curious coincidence: Just yesterday one of my two old drives died! I got a SMART warning that bad sectors had appeared. The drive held some old backups and not much else. I got about 20 minutes into copying everything off when it died. It no longer shows in BIOS as connected. I didn't lose anything of value, but I'm not very impressed with the length of time I had after I got the SMART warning. I just did a fresh set of backups of the stuff I don't want to lose...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X