• Time
  • Show
Clear All

That pic is a 'bute!
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Ya, but ... but ... but ... did it come with seat belts!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Truebench results:

Q6600 @ 3.0 GHz = 221 seconds
        i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz = 44 seconds

Not too bad

Please Read Me

Comment

Mach 3 with your hair on fire!
          Nice!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Niiiiice!!!! Glad to hear that about NewEgg. I ordered a new harddrive for my pseudo-new system. I hope no issues but nice to know good Customer Support. When it gets here I will have questions on a few things.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                Truebench results:

Q6600 @ 3.0 GHz = 221 seconds
                i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz = 44 seconds

Not too bad
                Beautiful looking rig ,,,,,,,,, <turns green with envy> ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

TrueBench on the laptop.

Code:
                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~/Documents/testing/truebench$ ./truebench_x86_64

TrueBench-11 :: Release: 10-Sep-2016 :: (c)2016 :: Author: Kiran Kankipati

Starting TrueBench system benchmark test.
                It may take several minutes/hours to complete depending upon your system.

Elapsed Duration:
                in Seconds: 75
                in Milliseconds: 75151
                in Microseconds: 75151125
                --------------------------------------------------------
                CPU Info:
                Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz  [COLOR=#ff0000]<----------- generic CPU info , was running 3.7GHz[/COLOR]
                8 cores/threads

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Pretty good tho, Vinny, especially for a lappy. I can't wait until I get a chance to overclock this bad boy and see what it'll do. I seen people getting 5GHz out of it but stability is highest importance. With water cooling CPU temps aren't much of an issue, but the voltages required to get above 4.7GHz are near the limits. I'll probably just bump it to 4.5 or 4.6 and call it a day, especially with the cheap RAM I have.

I will say, right now at stock speeds - it is amazingly faster is all aspects. I'm surprised how much overhead accessing the drives takes. I've seen a big increase in the response time during drive access - probably due more to the change from SATA II to SATA III than the CPU. Remember I came from a 2007 mobo and CPU. That means I had SATA II, USB 2.0, and DDR2 RAM. All these things are now twice as fast or more.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, anybody need some used PC parts? LOL
                    Last edited by oshunluvr; Dec 01, 2016, 07:35 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, if anybody is interested in the water cooling: Right now at stock speeds - even when stressed playing 0 A.D. with 8 players (7 computer bots and me) it only reached 28c and it idles around 20c. Still no warm air coming out of the radiator. I've been water cooling since 2007 when my "office" was on a landing near the top of stairs and right outside my bedroom. The spousal unit often goes to bed before me and the fan noise was a problem. Enter water cooling and the sound drops to near zero.

Back then, I had 3 water blocks (the metal part that attaches to the mobo over a chip) and a water block on my video card (also overlocked). Later, when I added a second video card and water block I reached my peak with a total of five water blocks cooling the CPU, 2x GPUs, and the North and South bridge chipsets. I never had a RAM cooler, but they're out there. With this setup I was able to overclock my GPUs 20% and run my Q6600 at 3.4GHz from a stock speed of 2.4GHz - a 40% increase! You could really feel the heat coming out of the radiator back then! After 3-4 years the system started to become less stable so I backed off to 3.0GHz where it stayed until last week. Currently, I run only the CPU on water cooling. The components on modern mobos just aren't has hot as they were back then - same for the video cards.

I have a single pump that runs a dual flow system (two circuits). The primary circuit runs from the reservoir to the radiator in 1/2" I.D. tubing and the second circuit goes to the CPU block in 3/8" I.D. tubing. About three times a year I have to add a couple ounces of water via a fill tube. The hardest part is getting the air out of the system if I disassemble part of it. I run the water pump (without the PC being on) for a couple of minutes, then rotate then entire PC case until the fill tube is mostly full of air, fill, and repeat. Once full, I let it run overnight - again only the water system and no PC parts in there - and look for leaks. Only one time did I ever have a leak - a clamp failed - and a couple drips fried a video card. I switched out all the clamps in critical areas for another type and simply zip-tied the more permanent connections (radiator and reservoir) and haven't had a repeat of that.

The difficulty in filling it is because I have my radiator mounted at the top of the case above the mobo so all the air collects in it. I prefer this arrangement because - you know - heat rises. Next case I buy though will have radiator space in the front instead of the top. Once the system is full, the reservoir and fill tube trap the air so I don't have to flip it around again - until the next upgrade

Please Read Me

Comment

So, how big is the reservoir, and is it cooled by radiation? Do you have to add Potassium Chromate or some other anti-biological to suppress microbial growth?

Comment

Wow what a nice upgrade -- little envy going on here! Congratulations on that new box. Even though I am a bit of a hardware freak, I find the new electronics run plenty fast enough with the best air cooling. Water + electronics kinda makes me twitch.

Comment

GG, The reservoir is two 5.25" drive-bays tall but only half as deep and the pump installs into the back of the reservoir. I use an additive to kill growth, but I don't bother to add coloring. I use a "dual loop" system which means the pump runs two water channels simultaneously. I have the larger tubed channel running to the radiator and the smaller tubed channels running to the CPU. My theory is that since they run off the same pump, the larger tubes move the volume of water at a slower speed - maximizing time in the radiator shedding heat, while the smaller tubes move the water quicker, minimizing the time exposed to the heat source. Also, the radiator has larger tubing internally than the CPU water block so seemed to make sense to set it up that way.

The radiator sits above the mobo with 2 120mm fans turning slow blowing air up (as to not fight convection) through it. I also have one 120 mm case fan but it also runs at minimum speed. Not only are the chips running cooler these day, the SSDs generate very little heat. It seems to work well without any noise even when the CPU is working hard. Even the new GTX 780 I have has two fans but they only run I when under stress and even then aren't too loud. I did manage to get the CPU up to 75c while running mprime95. I made need to check my thermal paste and look to see if the bios has decent fan speed control based on CPU temps.

Don: Wait until I get my M.2 Gen 3 SSds in there, they may be as fast as your PCIe drive!
                            Yeah, the concept of water inside a PC seems counter-intuitive but was absolutely necessary with my old system. With new CPU I don't really need it, but I had it already installed and lots of spare parts for it. I needed only get a new water block so spent less than a high quality fan.

GG, here's a pic of my reservoir:
                            Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

Don: Wait until I get my M.2 Gen 3 SSds in there, they may be as fast as your PCIe drive!
                              My OCZ Revodrive died a few months back, with just short of 45,000 hours on it. I had an OCZ Vertex Plus SATA 2 SSD in a Dell E6500 "spare" laptop that I never used, with a siduction/KDE OS, so I pulled the SSD and put it in my desktop, did the necessary reconfiguration (but not reinstallation) and it works fine. That desktop rig has been running 24/7 for over 6 years now -- I guess I should start saving my shekels for the next build.
                              Last edited by dibl; Dec 04, 2016, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Wow, that's a bummer. That was a sweet piece of hardware - and friggin' expensive if I recall correctly. I had forgotten how long ago you had first talked about that. One of the reasons I picked the mobo I did is it has support for 2x M.2 drives and 2x SATA-Express drives. When I'm ready for my next speed bump that will be where it is. The newer U.2 versions (both mobos and drives) are too expensive for me to consider at this point but my mobo has an add-on card available if that changes. The leader I believe is still the Samsung 960 Pro and at 512GB it's $330. Very reasonable for 3500/2100 MBs R/W but I'll wait for the price drop.

Out of curiosity, I just checked my drive hours:
                                Desktop:
                                ssd1 26k
                                ssd2 19k
                                hdd1 66k
                                hdd2 66k

Server:
                                hdd1 13k
                                hdd2 28k
                                hdd3 43k
                                hdd4 44k

Everything I read says leave them be until failure - they could last 15 years or more regardless of hours. I find it odd that a pair of drives purchased and put in use simultaneously vary by over 1200 hrs. That's 50+ days! Desktop hdd1/hdd2 were initially in the server and pulled to upgrade capacity. I moved them to the desktop and use them mostly for backups. Server hdd3/4 were the second pair purchased for the server. I am planning a new larger drive for the server to increase backup capacity.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                                X