This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 14.10 does not shutdown

Hello. After upgrading from 14.04.1 to Kubuntu 14.10, I can't shutdown anymore. It just takes forever and nothing. Any help?

Don't shutdown from the GUI.
    Switch to terminal mode and try: sudo shutdown now

Then see what process is holding you up.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Don't shutdown from the GUI.
      Switch to terminal mode and try: sudo shutdown now

Then see what process is holding you up.
      Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, it didn't work. It just takes forever and this time I get a blank screen, whith no plymouth theme.

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
        Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, it didn't work. It just takes forever and this time I get a blank screen, whith no plymouth theme.
        did you just do this in a terminal ,,,, or switch to a TTY (ctrl+alt+F6) in a terminal you will not see the shutdown process ,,,,in a TTY you will .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Changing to a TTY, it only showed briefly something about the firewall (ufw), I think, and then, I've got a blank screen.

Edit: It says briefly "skip stopping firewall: ufw (not enable)".

And the message I get when using the gui is "wait-for-state stop/waiting".
          Last edited by geoaraujo; Oct 30, 2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Oh, and installing a different kernel (3.17.2-031702-generic) didn't help.

Comment

I installed 14.10 Plasma 5 last night. For me: rebooting/shutting down only works from the SDDM menu. In other words, if I log out first, then click reboot or shutdown it works. Must be an error in the desktop commands somewhere.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                I installed 14.10 Plasma 5 last night. For me: rebooting/shutting down only works from the SDDM menu. In other words, if I log out first, then click reboot or shutdown it works. Must be an error in the desktop commands somewhere.
                Well, I'm running KDE 4.14.2. I've already tried that but it didn't work either...

Comment

I don't know if that helps, but disabling network and then proceding to shutdown it also hangs, but I've got the following message: "wait-for-state stop/waiting (rcplymouth-shutdown) stop/killed, process 3240".

Comment

I've searched around Kubuntu and Ubuntu forums, Launchpad bugs and so on. I've tried so many solutions right now, from 11.04 to 14.10 and none of them worked. System halts but does not power off. So, to be less agressive, I do RSEIUB to reboot the computer, and after the Kubuntu logo, I get a blank screen instead of login screen. Then I have to press the poweroff button. This is very frustrating.

Edit: I've also tried changing to kdm instead of lightdm, but then I get a lot of kde errors and a blank screen after login and shutdown doesn't work anyway.
                    Last edited by geoaraujo; Nov 11, 2014, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Have similar problem in 14.04, but there "shutdown -h now" works.
                      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Same here, but it's intermittent. Most of the time shutdown works, sometimes it does not.

Once it's at the "stop/wait" screen I can press ctrl-alt-del and it will often seem to get through that block only to block again on another stop/wait. Eventually ctrl-alt-delete does nothing anymore, and then i press the power button on my computer (desktop) and it will shut down (even if I had told it in the GUI to reboot).

Comment

I've just found this while searching for a solution. Do you guys think it could be related somehow? I have no /etc/rc0.d/S90halt nor /etc/rc0.d/K11halt files. All I have is /etc/rc0.d/K12halt.

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
                            I've just found this while searching for a solution. Do you guys think it could be related somehow? I have no /etc/rc0.d/S90halt nor /etc/rc0.d/K11halt files. All I have is /etc/rc0.d/K12halt.
                            I only have
                            Code:
                            lee@lee-asrock:~$ cat /etc/rc0.d/S90halt
                            The blog also has a nice set of trouble shooting scripts in the article after the one you posted the link for.

Comment

I do not use any custom shutdown script. Didn't even know you could.
                              'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X