Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me neither. I don't use any custom shutdown script (have no idea how to do this) and I've just brought this thinking it may help. But I don't know how to use the information to solve the issue (in case it's helpful). All I know is that my computer won't shutdown anymore and after reading the article, I've realized that I only have /etc/rc0.d/K12halt file...

Comment

Ok, this time I was this close to ruin everything. In an another attempt to fix this shutdown issue, I've tried to add "acpi=noirq" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, so GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=noirq quiet splash", as seen in threads at Ubuntu Forums and so on.

Shutdown didn't work and I've got a kernel panic during boot. Every attempt to boot the system caused a kernel panic. So, I went to recovery mode, to undo this change using nano, but I couldn't (it said "ready-only file system"). "startx", to do this the gui way didn't work either. At this point I was starting to panic, then I've used a flash drive with Kubuntu 14.10 Plasma 5 to get some work done, see if I could fix it, and if not, prepare to a new install. So, I could remove acpi=noirq but could'nt update grub. How could I write a change at /etc/default/grub and could'nt update grub using a live media remains a mystery to me. Anyway, I went to recovery mode again and this time updated grub. And now I'm back here. Shutdown still does not work, but at least I can boot my system.
      Last edited by geoaraujo; Nov 18, 2014, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Same problem to me. I believe that this could be a bug. Did somebody already raised a Launchpad ticket?

Comment

My problem may not any relation at all but I was getting the same error as you on my laptop (intel gpu) and desktop pc (ati gpu). I use the fglrx amd/ati proprietary drivers on my desktop but for some reason in the Driver Manager xserver.xorg.video.ati was running. So I removed xserver.xorg.video.ati which in turn removes xserver.xorg.video.all . I also removed those files on my laptop too, since then I haven't had any more shutdown trouble. I hope this information if use to someone.

Comment

I haven't had any shutdown issues for weeks. If it's video card related, I'm using an nVidia GTX 780 with the nvidia drivers from the repo.

Please Read Me

Comment

Since I've upgraded I was never able to shutdown properly.

My graphics card are Intel Integrated. I don't know if it's video card related.

I believe it has something to do with that automatic halt script or with systemd transition, but I really can't tell. My computer knowledge is very limited...

Comment

Originally posted by paede View Post
                Same problem to me. I believe that this could be a bug. Did somebody already raised a Launchpad ticket?
                I've created a bug report.

Comment

I have this same problem with 14.04. It used to shut down as it is supposed to but apparently somewhere along the line a daily update messed things up.

Comment

I KNEW IT! It HAD something to do with systemd! After endless attempts, I've tried to modify /etc/default/grub to look like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash init=/lib/systemd/systemd"

I was really getting mad but now I can shutdown again and I'm very happy!

PS: Just hope this won't bring me any side effects...

Comment

Ok but what did you do to solve it? Did adding that line to GRUB fix it?

If so, I have GRUB customizer installed and I am wondering if I should add something to GRUB using customizer?

I can reboot using sudo shutdown -r now

I guess I could use the terminal for a total shutdown.

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
                      I KNEW IT! It HAD something to do with systemd! After endless attempts, I've tried to modify /etc/default/grub to look like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash init=/lib/systemd/systemd"

I was really getting mad but now I can shutdown again and I'm very happy!

PS: Just hope this won't bring me any side effects...

Comment

If so, I have GRUB customizer installed and I am wondering if I should add something to GRUB using customizer?

I've changed the file /etc/default/grub.

It has a line that reads:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

I've changed to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash init=/lib/systemd/systemd"

But in my case, I could not shutdown from konsole. The system would only halt and not poweroff. Now I can reboot and shutdown from gui and konsole.

Comment

Oops let me take that back. I just tried sudo shutdown -h now. I saw the lines saying that the system was going to halt now but it never did.

Now I take everything back.....it isn't working with sudo shutdown -r now.

Errrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by urdrwho5 View Post

Comment

I'm always hesitant about messing with GRUB but I think I'll need to do it.

I've changed the file /etc/default/grub.

It has a line that reads:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

I've changed to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash init=/lib/systemd/systemd"

But in my case, I could not shutdown from konsole. The system would only halt and not poweroff. Now I can reboot and shutdown from gui and konsole.

Comment

Yep....shouldn't have done it. I can no longer boot into the system.

Yikes that was close. I booted into recovery, changed the "quiet splash", updated GRUB and I'm back in. Think I'll just be happy with what I have.

Originally posted by urdrwho5 View Post
                              I'm always hesitant about messing with GRUB but I think I'll need to do it.
                              Last edited by urdrwho5; Nov 26, 2014, 08:37 PM.

Comment

With that modification, you've changed your computer's init system from Upstart to systemd. Like Debian, *buntu is slowly making the transition to systemd. However, in 14.10, it's still a work in progress and not recommended for production machines. You may experience many side effects that will be difficult to diagnose and repair unless you're intimately familiar with Linux init systems.

Comment

Working...
                                X