Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While removing xserver-xorg-video-ati solved my shutdown trouble, the proprietary amd driver would set the resolution to double-wide after a couple of days. I had already decided to upgrade my graphics hardware and found out about Oibaf repository while browsing on Phoronix http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...10_oibaf&num=1 So I've returned to the open-sourced graphics driver, upgraded that plus other files from Oibaf's repository. So far so good, no stalls shutting down or restarting in CLI or direct.

Comment

Yep....shouldn't have done it. I can no longer boot into the system.

Yikes that was close. I booted into recovery, changed the "quiet splash", updated GRUB and I'm back in. Think I'll just be happy with what I have.
      Did you update grub after changing the file?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
        With that modification, you've changed your computer's init system from Upstart to systemd. Like Debian, *buntu is slowly making the transition to systemd. However, in 14.10, it's still a work in progress and not recommended for production machines. You may experience many side effects that will be difficult to diagnose and repair unless you're intimately familiar with Linux init systems.
        Well, I'm not familiar at all. But a side effect from that slow transition to me was not being able to shutdown or reboot properly. I've tried nearly every solution and only this one worked.

Will systemd be default in 15.04? When systemd is default that change I've made won't be necessary?

Comment

There's no firm timeline, but it's likely that we'll see systemd as the default in 15.04.

Comment

Yes --- sudo update-grub.

The problem was a kernel panic and then there was some nouveau problems. The laptop I use for the Kubuntu is old and Nvidia drivers don't work well and I must use the nouveau driver.

At least I have the option to enter recovery at boot. I tried making the changes with an old Knoppix live disc but couldn't get to update grub. There was probably a way but I'm not that good at mounting drive language and did not want to mess up a partition.

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
            Did you update grub after changing the file?

Comment

If any of ye had considered trying my method to fix this, don't bother. Oibaf's repository is a waste of time. I'm going to re-install the fglrx driver and remove xserver-xorg-video-ati again. It's better for it to lose resolution than for it to get it's knickers in a twist shutting down.

Comment

I have found that this works for me to reboot. shutdown -r 1

I guess because it is a one minute shutdown, everything that must be shut down has the time to do it. Maybe?

At least it has been working for me, I don't know why nor do I know if it will continue to work.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  There's no firm timeline, but it's likely that we'll see systemd as the default in 15.04.
                  ATM, fully-upgraded 15.04 is still an upstart system, although systemd is an installed package (but systemd-sysv is not):

Code:
                  root@ubuntu:/# lsb_release -a
                  No LSB modules are available.
                  Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                  Description:    Ubuntu Vivid Vervet (development branch)
                  Release:        15.04
                  Codename:       vivid
                  root@ubuntu:/# apt-cache policy systemd
                  systemd:
                    Installed: 215-6ubuntu2
                    Candidate: 215-6ubuntu2
                    Version table:
                   *** 215-6ubuntu2 0
                          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ vivid/main amd64 Packages
                          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                  root@ubuntu:/# lsof -a -p 1 -d txt
                  COMMAND PID USER  FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF   NODE NAME
                  init      1 root txt    REG    8,1   302968 262337 /sbin/upstart

Comment

Systemd

Ubuntu+1 - Thread: Systemd discussion - during the V cycle: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2249915
                    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
                    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

I've used the command about 6 or 7 times since 11-27 and it always rebooted. Until now. I just used the command and it went into a shut down that was never completed. Weird stuff.

Originally posted by urdrwho5 View Post
                      Yes --- sudo update-grub.

The problem was a kernel panic and then there was some nouveau problems. The laptop I use for the Kubuntu is old and Nvidia drivers don't work well and I must use the nouveau driver.

At least I have the option to enter recovery at boot. I tried making the changes with an old Knoppix live disc but couldn't get to update grub. There was probably a way but I'm not that good at mounting drive language and did not want to mess up a partition.

Comment

I've used the command about 6 or 7 times since 11-27 and it always rebooted. Until now. I just used the command and it went into a shut down that was never completed. Weird stuff.

Ok --- an update.

I had been playing with swapiness and maybe it was working when swapiness was at or near zero. So I set swapiness to zero. Then Ctrl alt F6 -- I log back in and do the shutdown -r 1. It rebooted. Next I tried the same thing in konsole and it rebooted. I'll load some things, play around on line and try it again later.

I'm back. Nope that wasn't it because it stopped shutting down from the konsole but would shut down in ctrl alt F6 mode.

Originally posted by urdrwho5 View Post
                        I have found that this works for me to reboot. shutdown -r 1

I guess because it is a one minute shutdown, everything that must be shut down has the time to do it. Maybe?

At least it has been working for me, I don't know why nor do I know if it will continue to work.
                        Last edited by urdrwho5; Dec 01, 2014, 08:49 PM.

Comment

After the kernel update to 3.16.0-28-generic, I've removed the modification to test and it appears that the problem was solved for me.

Comment

How do I know if I have the modification to test and if I have it....how to I remove the modification.

After the kernel update to 3.16.0-28-generic, I've removed the modification to test and it appears that the problem was solved for me.

Comment

Look at your file /etc/default/grub.
                              If you have this line exactly like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash", then your grub file is not modified.

Comment

Thanks.

I guess I'm not modified because I do have that line.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Look at your file /etc/default/grub.
                                If you have this line exactly like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash", then your grub file is not modified.

Comment

Working...
                                X