This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theverath View Post
    Yes I did the update-grub and now there is a grub menu... BUT! It only appears when I boot from the kubuntu-Partition. If I the windows-Partition comes first in the boot order, then no grub menu is to be seen and windows just directly starts. Windows is not in the grub menu. os-prober returns nothing.
    Well, yes of course. You have to boot grub to see the grub menu, and it's on the Kubuntu drive not the Windows drive.

Still, seems odd that grub isn't picking up your windows install if it's using EFI. You need to turn off "Fastboot" and "Secure boot" before grub will work with Windows. Check those settings onthe Windows and BIOS side then reboot into Linux and see if os-prober finds Windows then.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jan 14, 2021, 01:13 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hey, I'm sorry for the long silence. It's the time before finals at my school and I'm absolutely loaded with work. So I didn't finde the time to handle this further except for one thing: I didn't find any boot options under Windows und in my BIOS I only found fast boot, which is disabled
      Attached Files

Comment

You should be able to boot directly from grub with a custom entry. Try this:

Open the file "/etc/grub.d/40_custom" with Kate.
        You should see this:
        Code:
        #!/bin/sh
        exec tail -n +3 $0
        # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
        # menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
        # the 'exec tail' line above.
        add this below all the above.
        Code:
        menuentry "Windows 10 "{
            insmod part_gpt
            search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid [COLOR=#333333]54E0-DCA9[/COLOR]
            chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
        }
        then save and exit.

Then verify the file is executable (it should already be by default I believe) by using Dolphin ot navigate to /etc/grub.d, right-clicking 40_custom, and looking at Properties > Permissions and seeing the "Is executable" box checked.
        If you prefer the command line, open Konsole and enter "ll /etc/grub.d" (two lower case "L"s followed by a space and "/etc/grub.d"). You should get something like:

Code:
        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  424 Dec 17 11:07 40_custom*
        Note the "x"s in the first part - there should be 3. If not, then enter this:

Code:
        sudo chmod +x /etc/grub.d/40_custom
        then, run "sudo grub-update" and trying a reboot.
        Last edited by oshunluvr; Jan 18, 2021, 08:00 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok, I did as you wrote and changed the 40_custom. Then I did the update-grub and rebooted but the grub menu still didn't have Windows. The next day, I had some time on my hands and decided to play some games and in the afternoon I booted to Kubuntu do do some work an lo and behold: Windows 10 had an entry. Now all works as I hoped it would!<br>So, thank you very much for your time, your patience and your advice! And also thanks to the others who tried to help :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Theverath View Post
            I upgraded from Windows 7 because there were no drivers available for my mainboard under Windows 7 which is why I thought "eh whatever, can't be that worse". On a totally unrelated sidenote: I don't like Win 10[/FONT]
            On that unrelated side note: I'm having a new machine built and was going to let them install Win10Pro64 (not that I want to, but concerned about obsolescence). Don't plan to use it much. I don't like forced updates - I may disconnect it from the internet. I won't put data on it either, I use a separate NTFS partitioned disk for data (Linux (and Windows)). Could you tell me what you dislike most about it? I know it's off-topic, but I'd appreciate the information. Thanks, --AnneF
            Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 01, 2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X