This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rdonnelly View Post
    Thanks, I found the driver manager, but any options to select Nvidia are greyed out?[ATTACH=CONFIG]9226[/ATTACH]

What driver did you manually install? The latest drivers from Nvidia do not support your gt 610, only the legacy drivers do (the 340 and the 390)
    The driver manager only handles distro packages, not manually installed nvidia drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      What driver did you manually install? The latest drivers from Nvidia do not support your gt 610, only the legacy drivers do (the 340 and the 390)
      The driver manager only handles distro packages, not manually installed nvidia drivers.
      NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.138 it is working fine, and even shows up in the Nvidia X server settings. I have to admit I am about due for a new graphics card. Anyone know of a good Nvidia card that behaves well with Linux?
      Linux since 2008, Kubuntu 20.10
      *ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
      *AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
      *G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM -- Asus GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4 GB

Comment

I use muon for a package manager. It also gives me a source GUI by clicking on "Settings --> Software Sources".
        On the panel also is a tab for setting updates. I have muon check for updates daily and install security updates without confirmation. I have no concern about any updates borking my system because I use BTRFS, take nightly snapshots along with a differential update to a 2nd HD, and can rollback within a minute or two.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

All moved into Kubuntu, I like the System Settings app, lots of setting for me to go through.

Thanks all, and Happy New Year!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            I use muon for a package manager. It also gives me a source GUI by clicking on "Settings --> Software Sources".
            On the panel also is a tab for setting updates. I have muon check for updates daily and install security updates without confirmation. I have no concern about any updates borking my system because I use BTRFS, take nightly snapshots along with a differential update to a 2nd HD, and can rollback within a minute or two.
            Actually Muon started to work for me.

Comment

Welcome aboard rdonnelly.

Like you, I've been a long term user of Linux Mint, now I've changed over to Kubuntu. I couldn't be happier, as I wasn't finding a few niggles with Cinnamon :-)

Definitely either install Synaptic or Muon through Discover, as I find the Discover package manager somewhat annoying to use.

It's Kubuntu 20.04 LTS I'm using, so I'm just sticking with the stock kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by brianinnes View Post
                Welcome aboard rdonnelly.

Like you, I've been a long term user of Linux Mint, now I've changed over to Kubuntu. I couldn't be happier, as I wasn't finding a few niggles with Cinnamon :-)

Definitely either install Synaptic or Muon through Discover, as I find the Discover package manager somewhat annoying to use.

It's Kubuntu 20.04 LTS I'm using, so I'm just sticking with the stock kernel.
                Yes, there is not a lot of difference between Mint and Kubuntu. I liked the old Gnome, hated Cinnamon, Plasma made the perfect replacement.

I was interested in kernel changing, because sometime my Mint would crash on resume, and using an older kernel prevented this. I was having the same problem with Kubuntu, until I installed Nvidia proprietary drivers.

Comment

Does anyone have the default .face icon, I messed mine up, I suppose I could create a new home temporary if no one can share?

Thank you

Comment

The problem with the nvidia supplied drivers is you'll have to re-install them at every kernel update, which is fairly often. Do yourself a favor and remove it. You'll want to install the "dkms" package so every kernel update will automatically build the kernel modules.

IMO, most experienced Linux users do not rely on a package manager to install these sort of things.All the tools you need are there.

Beginning with "apt-cache search":
                    Code:
                    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#18B218][B]stuart@office[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#18B2B2][B]/subvol[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ apt-cache search nvidia | grep 390 | grep dkms[/COLOR]
                    nvidia-[COLOR=#B21818][B]dkms[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]-390 - NVIDIA DKMS package[/COLOR]
                    nvidia-headless-no-[COLOR=#B21818][B]dkms[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]-390 - NVIDIA headless metapackage - no DKMS[/COLOR]
                    [/FONT]
                    Then "sudo apt install nvidia-dkms-390" and the package along with the dkms packages should all install at once. Then it will build the modules for all currently install kernels and all new kernels will also have modules built each time on is installed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Your face icon can be any icon you want I think. The default is the Kubuntu logo. Copy it to your home folder, then make it hidden by rename it to ".face" - Note no extension (I had to add it to allow uploading to the forum) and the leading period - that's what makes it hidden.
                      Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the driver tip, and the .face osh.
                        I will be sure to give your code a try, but for now I am not getting on resume crashes at least.

BTW, I am not the most experienced, Linux user, but I do okay with what I have.
                        Last edited by rdonnelly; Jan 01, 2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          The problem with the nvidia supplied drivers is you'll have to re-install them at every kernel update, which is fairly often. Do yourself a favor and remove it. You'll want to install the "dkms" package so every kernel update will automatically build the kernel modules.

IMO, most experienced Linux users do not rely on a package manager to install these sort of things.All the tools you need are there.

Beginning with "apt-cache search":
                          Code:
                          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#18B218][B]stuart@office[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#18B2B2][B]/subvol[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ apt-cache search nvidia | grep 390 | grep dkms[/COLOR]
                          nvidia-[COLOR=#B21818][B]dkms[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]-390 - NVIDIA DKMS package[/COLOR]
                          nvidia-headless-no-[COLOR=#B21818][B]dkms[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]-390 - NVIDIA headless metapackage - no DKMS[/COLOR]
                          [/FONT]
                          Then "sudo apt install nvidia-dkms-390" and the package along with the dkms packages should all install at once. Then it will build the modules for all currently install kernels and all new kernels will also have modules built each time on is installed.
                          I am going to be getting a newer GPU, does that driver work on all Nvidia cards?

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-...82E16814126170

Comment

No, the 390 driver only supports the older cards - like 10 years older. That card would use the newest 455 driver, but the process is the same. BTW, the nVidia website has a driver search function on it, but that's card is rather new and the current (newest) drivers support it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you again osh, you are a world of knowledge. Would I want to use the drivers from the website, or apt?

Comment

Use the dkms driver from apt. Way easier to keep updated.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                                X