This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Long time Mint user

Hi all, I have decided I want to give Kubuntu a try, as Mint is no longer making a KDE version.

I am just starting to teeth and have a few questions.
    1 When I do a search in package manager I never get any results, even if I type in a software that I know is there, such a libre.
    2 How do I install proprietary Nvidia drivers? In mint there was an app to do this.
    3 When I suspend, my screen will not power back on in resume, and I am forced to push the power button and reboot. I am assuming the Nvidia driver may fix this?

Here is my old Mint sig.

Using Mint since 2008
    *Mint 18.2 KDE
    *ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
    *AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
    *G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
    *nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

Looking forward to making the move, and Happy New Years to all of you.
    Linux since 2008, Kubuntu 20.10
    *G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM -- Asus GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4 GB

Hi there, rdonnelly! Always glad to see another Kubuntu user.

1 When I do a search in package manager I never get any results, even if I type in a software that I know is there, such a libre.
    Which package manager are you using? If it's not Synaptic, I highly recommend using it instead. If it's not already installed, you can use Discover, search for "synaptic" and install it from there.

Once inside Synaptic, if you're going to search for something, make sure that you haven't selected any particular category (on the left), unless you're very sure that what you're looking for might be there. For example, if you're looking for LibreOffice programs, don't pre-select a 'games' category! Either be on 'All' or in a specific, appropriate category.

2 How do I install proprietary Nvidia drivers? In mint there was an app to do this.
    Yes, there's an app on my new laptop; its program is /usr/bin/nvidia-settings. You should find it, and a bunch of other NVIDIA-related stuff in Synaptic.

3 When I suspend, my screen will not power back on in resume, and I am forced to push the power button and reboot. I am assuming the Nvidia driver may fix this?
    Perhaps, perhaps not. Try installing its drivers and tweaking its settings, then let us know if it's still misbehaving.

Looking forward to making the move, and Happy New Years to all of you.
    Same to you, and we're glad you're here!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I'd suggest installing Synaptic, too many packages in Ubuntu's repos seem to miss the appstream data Discover and other 'apps stores' use, compared to old' fashioned package' managers

In System Settings, there should be a link to the Driver Manager. it can also be found in Discover's settings, in the Software Sources section

Possibly, it is usually a good place to start, for sure. There is always the chance that the newer kernel version in Kubuntu vs Mint 18 could have a regression, but it is probably more likely the driver.

Comment

Thanks for the quick help, I will give your suggestions a try!

Comment

Discover search is rather lacking, change to Applications then use libreoffice to find all the packages.

Comment

For me, Discover has two uses. 1) let me know when updates are available. 2) as an absolutely last choice among so many other ways to find packages, including Google searches.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
              For me, Discover has two uses. 1) let me know when updates are available. 2) as an absolutely last choice among so many other ways to find packages, including Google searches.
              A third use could be to access the "Software Sources" GUI.

(Running `pkexec software-properties-qt` gives me (after providing my sudo password):
              Code:
              $ pkexec software-properties-qt
              qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display 
              qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
              This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)
              $
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by rdonnelly View Post
                Thanks for the quick help, I will give your suggestions a try!
                You're welcome! Let us know if you still need help.
                Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I install Muon (in KDE Neon) to search for and install packages and Synaptic on the boss's Mint machine.
                  Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I will report back once I get a few of the tasks done. Another question is how to change kernels? In mint you could do it through the update app. I am installing Synaptic right now, the same package manager that comes with mint. OTOH, Discover seems to have quite a bit of software, and works well.
                    Last edited by rdonnelly; Dec 30, 2020, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      I'd suggest installing Synaptic, too many packages in Ubuntu's repos seem to miss the appstream data Discover and other 'apps stores' use, compared to old' fashioned package' managers

In System Settings, there should be a link to the Driver Manager. it can also be found in Discover's settings, in the Software Sources section

Possibly, it is usually a good place to start, for sure. There is always the chance that the newer kernel version in Kubuntu vs Mint 18 could have a regression, but it is probably more likely the driver.
                      Thanks, I found the driver manager, but any options to select Nvidia are greyed out?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201230_050527.png
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	644997

Comment

I am inpatient, I got the driver from Nvidia, I will know in a short while if it helps with my system not resuming the display.

Edit: Yes, no more resume problems, so far.
                        Last edited by rdonnelly; Dec 30, 2020, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Another question, how do I get Kuser on Kubuntu?

Comment

It appears to be unmaintained and not have a kf-5 port . Someone needs to port this to KF5.
                            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                              It appears to be unmaintained and not have a kf-5 port . Someone needs to port this to KF5.
                              Thank you, is there any other type of user and group manager, or do I have to use the cli?

Comment

Working...
                              X