Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, so sorry Murphy's law applied this time. Bad luck, mostly I think. Moving partitions is a hazardous process best avoided if possible. I've had a couple of dramas myself over the years.

Bookmarks are easily synced with Mozilla's cloud (also makes if easy to duplicate your bookmarks on other PC's you may have): https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...nc-my-computer

You can also manually backup bookmarks too: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb..._manual-backup

I'm pretty certain you should be able to boot into Windows OK. The partitioning mishap has only affected the Kubuntu partitions as far as I can see. Windows won't care about any other paritions it doesn't understand anyway.
    Last edited by Rod J; Feb 04, 2018, 06:37 AM.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Thanks for the answer Rod J. It's good to have support when things go wrong.

Next time I will save all my bookmarks manually.

I will try to go in the windows partition now in order to save my bookmarks (the one which are on windows) in case the windows partition also gets damaged.

I look forward to having a proper linux working again, with a big partition.

Best

Comment

I agree you should totally boot to windows and make sure all is well there before continuing.

My recommendation for partitioning would be to boot to your live USB Kubuntu and partition and pre-format the partitions there.

As far as installing Kubuntu again, there's not really a tutorial needed. The key will be to know which partition is which, so after partitioning and formatting, write them down; 6 is for the install, 7 is for home, 8 is for...etc.

As far as how to make and use a separate home partition, the installer will help you with that, Since you're selecting which partitions to use for what, you will have to select "Manual" when disk partitioning comes up, then you'll select your root (partition you're installing to) partition and give it a mount point of / and then select your home partition and give it a mount point of /home .The installer will do the rest. Any other partitions will no be messed with by the installer. If you create and format a swap partition, the installer will detect it and use it. If you don't make a swap partition before installing, the installer will create a swap file instead.

I one thing you're going to have to learn about is how to set up dual boot with windows. I don't use windows at all but there are many tutorials on the 'net and in this forum on what to do.

Please Read Me

Comment

I tried to reboot but it went very wrong. Now I'm writting from my old computer that I turned on after 2 years of inactivity.
          I choosed "Reboot" then I got a screen telling me something like "remove the live medium and press enter", so I unplugged the usb key and pressed enter. But I ended up with a screen I had never seen before:
          On the top, it is written "GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.15"
          Then one line below it is written
          "Minimal Bash-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions."
          Then there is a ``grub>" where I can enter a command. I pressed TAB, and there was a long list of possible commands. I entered reboot but I was brought back to the same screen as before. I then entered ``boot" and I received the following error message:
          ``error: you need to load the kernel first".
          then I entered ``ls" and I received
          ``(hd0) (hd0,gpt6) (hd0,gpt3) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,gpt1)"
          Then I entered ``list_env" and I got
          ``error: file `/boot/grub/grubenv' not found.

Now I don't know what to do...

Comment

The error comes from the Linux bootloader not finding a functional root partition.

Once again hit f12 during boot, and choose windows boot manager as the boot device.

If that fails do you have a windows 10 CD or usb?

You can download one from.microsoft. The cd can boot and repair the windows boot loader if needed. It can also fix corrupted partitions from the command line.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

mr_raider is correct. When your install partition got removed so did your ability to boot - grub, the boot manager was there.

This is the part I was referring to about leaning about dual-booting to windows. Theoretically, you should be able to boot into windows from the live USB as mr_raider suggests. Try that first and make sure windows still works.

Please Read Me

Comment

Found this:
                (From within rescue mode)Command: ls
                It will list all your drives and partitions, like:
                (hd0) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1)
                If you don't know your Ubuntu boot partition, check them one by one:
                ls (hd0,msdos2)/
                ls (hd0,msdos1)/
                When you hit the right one, you'll get a line mentioning "lost+found" and so on.
                Assuming (hd0,msdos2) is the right partition:
                set prefix=(hd0,2)/boot/grub
                set root=(hd0,2)
                insmod normal
                normal
                Now you'll be able to boot into Ubuntu. Once you do, execute the following commands:
                sudo update-grub sudo grub-install /dev/sda
                Oshunlvr@
                Would this procedure work here? First time I've become aware that one could/might be able to fix this type of error with Grub from within the grub rescue environment.
                Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 04, 2018, 09:17 AM.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, your post looks good, real good, BUT ... IME, trying to get anything done at the GRUB command line > is a real d&mned crap shoot, at best. (I found it pretty much easy with the old Legacy GRUB, but not since GRUB2. YMMV!)
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If this procedure will work, seems to the be the easiest solution here, as it doesn't require anything additional. At worst, I think the OP should perform the indicated ls commands and resport back here as to which drive/partition has *buntu content.

Comment

IMO, since his Kubuntu partition is gone, so are all the files needed to boot grub - the ones that were under /boot/grub. The only thing remaining is the boot loader itself. I think the only option is to boot the live USB and attempt booting Windows from there. But then again - I don't do Windows so there may be some other course of action. I don't know f you can point the grub boot loader at the Windows boot record and successfully boot that way.

Please Read Me

Comment

Normally the windows loader is fully self contained in the EFI partition. If he can restore the nvram pointer to the bootloader it should boot.

That is the strength of EFI installs. Each bootloader is separate and fully contained.

Comment

Oshunlvr@
                          I'm not 100% sure that is the case here. It's possible the entire content of the partition is intact, and the only thing that happened is the pointer to the second stage of grub was changed when the partition got moved (to the left). It's at least worth having the OP run the ls commands and confirm one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                            Normally the windows loader is fully self contained in the EFI partition. If he can restore the nvram pointer to the bootloader it should boot.

That is the strength of EFI installs. Each bootloader is separate and fully contained.

this is correct ,,,,,and their should be a windows choice in the setup/UEFI/menus some where ,,,,maybe the UEFI shell ?

I do not have any UEFI hardware so I cant help to much hear.

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

And then there is also, always, Boot Repair (which will also re-install GRUB, and it generates a diagnostic report),
                              https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

the efibootmgr can reset/set the boot order in the EFI partition ,,,,or so it said

Description: Interact with the EFI Boot Manager
                                This is a Linux user-space application to modify the Intel Extensible
                                Firmware Interface (EFI) Boot Manager configuration. This application can
                                create and destroy boot entries, change the boot order, change the next
                                running boot option, and more.
                                Additional information about (U)EFI can be found at http://www.uefi.org/.
                                Note: efibootmgr requires that the kernel module efivars be loaded prior
                                to use. 'modprobe efivars' should do the trick if it does not
                                automatically load.
                                and should be installable to the live session on the usb stick

,,,,,,,,perhaps,,, if he can not find a windows boot option in the EFI-shell or setup menus

EDIT:it may/may not be on the stick already as it is installed hear ,,,and I did not install it.

VINNY
                                Last edited by vinnywright; Feb 04, 2018, 10:48 AM.
                                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                                16GB RAM
                                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                                X